Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Masha

confused beginner

Hello all, this is a great forum and I have read many posts, but am so confused about how photoperiod is achieved outdoors!

I am currently going through a cancer scare, am awaiting results of biopsy. I want to make RSO, I have bought and germinated, only just, 2 high thc indica seeds.  Now I am thinking I will not be able to get them to flower if they need at least 6 hrs total darkness, but surely people grow it outside without covering it with light proofing of some kind.

I panicked and am waiting for 3 autoflowering, fairly high thc seeds to arrive, and I know time is against me to grow outside.

Is it possible I can get the former to flower outside given I have only just germinated them?

Sorry this is such a basic lot of questions, but I am panicked at the prospect of being told I have cancer, and trying to rush to get rso to take if the worst comes to the worst.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2 people like this

Welcome @Masha 

I presume you are asking when do regular cannabis plants flower outdoors, that would be around 12hrs day 12 hrs dark 21st of September or usually a bit earlier with selected outdoor strains.

You can get high CBD strains that have a ratio of THC to CBD of 1:1.

I'm growing Blue Dream CBD outdoors at the moment

Good wishes for the future. 

4 people like this

Thanks Cumbriangreen!

The impression I got from the reading I've done is that the outdoor (or indoor) plants need to be in the pitch dark for minimum of 6hrs per night, I even saw a video of a grow tent maker saying the zips absolutely blocked out all light. That's what has thrown me, I thought the outdoor plants had to be covered in order to flower.

I'm not holding out much hope for the first lot of seeds to flower before it gets cold and wet and ruins them.

I'm hoping the seeds I've ordered that are autoflowering, will do ok. I went for the highest thc I could find 15% as Rick Simpson says 20% thc is needed, or even higher and I couldn't find an auto with much higher than 15%. CBD can be bought, so I'm not so worried about cbd content, although it is expensive, but the thc is more important.

1 person likes this

i dont grow outside mate but i think you will be too late to the party this year if you are just popping seeds now for outdoors

can you not have a bash indoors with a 1m tent ?

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Masha said:

Thanks Cumbriangreen!

The impression I got from the reading I've done is that the outdoor (or indoor) plants need to be in the pitch dark for minimum of 6hrs per night, I even saw a video of a grow tent maker saying the zips absolutely blocked out all light. That's what has thrown me, I thought the outdoor plants had to be covered in order to flower.

I'm not holding out much hope for the first lot of seeds to flower before it gets cold and wet and ruins them.

I'm hoping the seeds I've ordered that are autoflowering, will do ok. I went for the highest thc I could find 15% as Rick Simpson says 20% thc is needed, or even higher and I couldn't find an auto with much higher than 15%. CBD can be bought, so I'm not so worried about cbd content, although it is expensive, but the thc is more important.

The bottom line is that they're plants and they evolved outdoors. There was no one going around 50,000 years ago covering all the cannabis plants with blackout tents to induce flowering...

If you told us what strains they are, it will be easier for people on here to help you with more information. Different strains exhibit different sensitivity to light and consequently start flowering at slightly different times of year in given conditions. Total duration of flowering also varies by strain. 

In any case, your seeds have started late, so they might flower a bit later than they otherwise would, but you can probably rely on them to start flowering somewhere betweeen late July and late September.

Depending on the autoflower strains, those could actually end up being less likely to flower successfully. Main reasons being that it is getting a bit late, so you would expect standard autoflowers grown outside starting in mid July to finish by some time in October. Given that autoflowers are notoriously less mould resistant and generally resilient, that's quite late.

Still, I wish you luck with your grow. I started 3 Killer Kush plants last year around 21st July, gave them 3 weeks indoors under lights then planted them out, and they ended finishing Oct-Nov and giving me almost 3oz of potent bud. So late grows can definitely work out. Good luck also with your diagnosis - hope you get the news you are hoping for!

3 people like this

5 minutes ago, doobie01 said:

i dont grow outside mate but i think you will be too late to the party this year if you are just popping seeds now for outdoors

can you not have a bash indoors with a 1m tent ?

I might have to. Do you think the autoflowerings will work outdoors though?

If I have a tent indoors, does it smell much? I worry that smell will be noted by neighbours if outdoor plants, and will annoy people who share my house.

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, Spliffman100 said:

The bottom line is that they're plants and they evolved outdoors. There was no one going around 50,000 years ago covering all the cannabis plants with blackout tents to induce flowering...

lol, that's what I keep telling myself!

The high thc I have just sprouted are remo chemo, and the autos I am waiting for are blue amnesia xxl autos.

sounds like I am still in with a chance to get this working, thanks for the info.

I may end up buying a tent for indoors. if I start them outdoors, can I move them in after I have bought a tent? It'll take me a few weeks to afford tent, light and whatever else I may need.

1 person likes this

autos will work outdoors just not as well as photoperiod ones i believe but they all smell when it comes to flowering no matter what type they are indoor and outdoor included .

if you live in a shared house with others who do not partake in cannabis then i would advise against growing indoors then lol 

i would scout out a plot for next year now and try find the perfect plot for next springs gorilla grow start

3 minutes ago, Masha said:

I might have to. Do you think the autoflowerings will work outdoors though?

If I have a tent indoors, does it smell much? I worry that smell will be noted by neighbours if outdoor plants, and will annoy people who share my house.

Again, a lot depends on strain. Some strains smell very little, many are moderately pungent, and with some again you can smell one plant in an attic from the end of the street... I suggest either researching your strains or telling us what they are, and someone on here will probably have experience with those specific strains. 

Generally you should expect to have much more of an odour problem indoors than outdoors. If you have several plants indoors, you will likely need some odour control if there are people sharing the space who will object to the smell. Outdoors, you will have to think more about the visual aspect (unless they are high odour strains or located within a few metres of where people will pass by). So who can see the plants? Can you make sure they don't grow above any fences or surrounding vegetation, etc.?

Autoflowers definitely can work outdoors, but depending on strain and luck and weather and so forth, you might need to tend them more closely, provide shelter, examine them daily for mould when they are flowering and it's wet outside...etc.etc.

29 minutes ago, Masha said:

lol, that's what I keep telling myself!

The high thc I have just sprouted are remo chemo, and the autos I am waiting for are blue amnesia xxl autos.

sounds like I am still in with a chance to get this working, thanks for the info.

I may end up buying a tent for indoors. if I start them outdoors, can I move them in after I have bought a tent? It'll take me a few weeks to afford tent, light and whatever else I may need.

You can bring them into a tent, provided they're in pots... just watch they don't get too big, and look out for pests that could then spread rapidly among your plants in tent conditions.

I did some basic research on these strains. I would suggest you'll definitely need odour control if you have a few and if anyone will be within a room or two of them who will object. The Remo Chemo sounds somewhat smelly, and in any case once they flower, they will smell. If you live with people who will have a problem beyond not liking the smell and who might report you, then definitely reconsider growing indoors. 

It does also sound like the Remo Chemo likes to stay dry, so outdoors in the UK may not be an ideal environment, unless you can cover it or tend to it very closely.

The Blue Amnesia Auto sounds like a solid bet for outdoors, but since they'll probably run till October, you will want to keep a close eye on them.

Other things to consider if growing outdoors are rabbits, deers, slugs, snails, pets and pests. Plenty of information on here about how to combat these (and probably other) issues.

3 people like this

An order placed now for some of Panik’s earliest flowering fem beans and then getting them started under a light until they start to smell and then put out to a plot mid August could result in some potent buds to make RSO in October. Surely it’s worth the punt and will gain you valuable learning for next year. I’d go for numbers if you need the oil and get them into compost mixed with native soil topdressed with chicken pellets and Sulphate of potash. Wishing you well and good health. 

4 people like this

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 0:55 PM, Clean Green said:

An order placed now for some of Panik’s earliest flowering fem beans and then getting them started under a light until they start to smell and then put out to a plot mid August could result in some potent buds to make RSO in October. Surely it’s worth the punt and will gain you valuable learning for next year. I’d go for numbers if you need the oil and get them into compost mixed with native soil topdressed with chicken pellets and Sulphate of potash. Wishing you well and good health. 

Thanks CleanGreen,  I have just received the autos and will germinate them. only 1 of the remo chemo has sprouted as yet.  I'll just keep hoping I get enough to make rso soonish, just in case I get bad news. If I'm still here next year, I'm definitely going to do it earlier.

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Masha said:

Thanks CleanGreen,  I have just received the autos and will germinate them. only 1 of the remo chemo has sprouted as yet.  I'll just keep hoping I get enough to make rso soonish, just in case I get bad news. If I'm still here next year, I'm definitely going to do it earlier.

Mate I feel for you I don't no if I'm breaking rules here but surely if it's a serious thing like provide u with relief then I hope I don't get shit for saying this 

Go on and download a mobile vpn on play store then orfox/orweb then you can access the dark web I've used it briefly you can deffo get what you want plus more it's not illegal to download the apps or even look on the dark web it's just weather u wanna take the risk and for me it was defiantly worth it as not knowing dealers it was a only option .

Just do a fuck ton of research on reddit and how it works 

Take care and hope u can get the relief u deserve 

1love 

Edited by Subtle stoner
1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Subtle stoner said:

Take care and hope u can get the relief u deserve 

Thanks. I'm in the process of renewing my passport, if worse comes to worse i'll get some oil in Spain, where they have cannabis clubs, or maybe even Jeff Ditchfield can help (I recently bought his very good book). I might even go the route of buying it here if I have to, but using the dark web, I tried once before and didn't like it at all.

So far I have 1 germinated seed and 5 more waiting to germinate.

The biopsy results could be weeks away, I suppose if they find cancer they'll contact me quite quickly and so far so quiet, which I'm hoping is a good sign.

Because of this scare, I am determined to make rso even if I'm in the clear to take just for my health/preventative.

2 people like this