Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Karl.0s

Carbon filter smell?

Do carbon filters have an aroma to them when they are correctly set up and in perfect working order? or was I smelling a leak in the system. I rushed off to my local hydro shop and bought another rhino pro 4" filter and fitted it externaly after the fan. This solved the problem. During harvest yesterday I increased the fan speed for a bit more negative pressure and have noticed the same smell once again this morning. With one filter in the tent being pulled through and another filter blown through after the fan I would of thought I was covered. Anyway I've turned the fan speed down a notch to see if this helps. Am I just smelling what is typical of carbon filtered air?

They do have an aroma.....but it aint nothing like growing skunk smell.

If your humidity is very high they dont work as well.

1 person likes this

as said above, im running mine the same as you 2 filters and have a smell but not weed smell.

53 minutes ago, Karl.0s said:

I rushed off to my local hydro shop and bought another rhino pro 4" filter

You didn't mention in your opening post, but I think we're all assuming you're using a 4" fan?

If you are using a 4" fan, then its just another fine example of the quality of rhino filters.. 

2 people like this

I wouldn't touch a rhino filter with a barge pole. Way to many failures for my liking across the boards. 

My hydro shop hasn't had a single red scorpion back, ever. He still stocks rhinos but won't sell them unless the customer really wants to pay over the odds for an unreliable product against his advice. 

4 people like this

I've had this with ALL my rhinos for the last couple of years. A faint smell always present. Not obviously weed but enough to unsettle me enough that I've switched to Mountain Air which has no noticeable smell just fresh air.

3 people like this

You shouldn't smell anything coming from a good active carbon filter, especially no weed or plant smells.

So, if your filter is good & tightly packed with activated carbon granules/cylinders then I'm guessing you have positive pressure in your tent/grow room?

I use the better filters from Growell & they are good for continuous +9mths use with no smell & fair priced for such quality. 

There are many carbon filters out there that are very good & good value, but equally there are poorly manufactured ones & very poorly reconditioned ones that use high recommended filter shells which have badges to show a prestigious manufacturer, but of course it's the infill of activated carbon & the methods of violently shaking the filter case whilst the carbon is slowly poured in, so air gaps are the minimal required for effective odour control.

Some not so clever fraudsters bake the filter to emulate the cleaning of the carbon, but they don't clean well at all while in the filter. You can reactivate carbon by baking it, but it needs to be spread out & it is a professional process you can't emulate efficiently in a gas oven.

So my point, get a new filter from a guaranteed source & only use those that can recondition filters professionally if you recondition & which give guarantees. I personally prefer to buy new & of them higher quality. I normally only use them for 6 to 8mths before replacing & then use the old ones on my propagation/mum tent & old ones work perfect for this application.

I hope you sort it my friend, as there is nothing more frustrating than a smell problem. Despite the fact that most of us go to extreme lengths to smell proof our grows, then stink the place out with our cured bud & blazing up! Haha!:skin_up:

1 person likes this

Mine has a sort of warm sweet smell but not overly sweet and nothing like weed but it's noticeable to me anyway

b.b 

1 hour ago, Golden Syrup said:

You didn't mention in your opening post, but I think we're all assuming you're using a 4" fan?

If you are using a 4" fan, then its just another fine example of the quality of rhino filters.. 

Oh yes... it's a 4" CAN (RUCK RK)

never had a problem with Rhino pro either 6" or 4", I run both but bad rep from the guys above is concerning maybe it's time for a change.

1 person likes this