Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JimmyPage

Nute heater issue ... (but not really a pH one ????)

So decided to try and do things "by the book", and set up my DWC with the 100W aquarium heater (Theo ?).

AIUI the idea is to keep the nute temp around 20C - but not higher as it can encourage bacteria.

1st off, it seems the thermostat can't go lower than 22.

2nd off, checking Dr. google, it seems there's some discussions that the thermostat packs up rather a lot ?

3rd off, with thermostat set as low as possible, the nute temp is still reading 25 :( 

rather than buy a smaller heater, I've dug out a 24 hour segment timer (for some reason I have a lot spare :) ) and set it on/off for 24 hours. So basically turning 100W into 50W.

Happy to hear peeps thoughts ...

Concerning pH, I read the solution pH just now, but refuse to believe that a weak solution where the roots haven't even touched yet can be 8.0 ... especially as the reading was moving around. So I've cleaned the pen and will wait the 24 hours before recalibrating and retesting ....

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't bother with the heater. 

the one you have is way too big. I use a 100w heater in my rdwc res, which has a total volume of around 160 litres.

If you arte in dwc the (presumable hps)  light will  heat it enough, and lower temperature of the water = higher dissolved oxygen rate, (a good thing) but you don't want to go below about 16 degrees, ideally 19 degrees

Whats the temp of the water without the jheater? that will give us a better idea

As for the ph reading. DO you know what the reading is out of the tap?

I would invest in a decent PH meter if the one you have isn't trustable, its not worth the risk.

Edited by badbillybob

7 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

As for the ph reading. DO you know what the reading is out of the tap?

I would invest in a decent PH meter if the one you have isn't trustable, its not worth the risk.

A tad over 7.1 out of the tap.

It's a BlueLab pen - just over a year old :( 

1 person likes this

oh right, well  bluelab stuff is usually rock solid, but would srtill be worth the cost of some calibration fluid to be sure.

can you check the temps in the pot without the heater in there?

1 person likes this

OK, well daily check showed nute temo was still 25C - so I've turned the heater off completely. I'll what it is tomorrow.

After cleaning and calibrating the pH meter, it was reading 6.6. Tap water here reads at 6.8.

We have ridiculously soft water here, and pH has never been a problem. The only reason I got a pH meter was because I had a go at adding silicon last year, and (correct) advice was it would fuck up my pH. It did, and I can't say I noticed any difference in grow or smoke. So no silicon now.

(There was a thread on silicon just after I decided to try. I wished it had been posted before, as it would have steered me clear).

1 person likes this

OK, checked today. No heat being supplied and nute temperature is 22 !!!!! 

Which is a tad too high ?

pH seemed the same, but then the root has only just started to show from the bottom of the net pot.

Plant seems OK - a little delicate on the stalk. I've propped it up slightly.