Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bazil brush

cornish pasties

96 posts in this topic

Back on topic lol

As promised @Saddam

:yep:

Forgot to take pic of the pastry, but it's just a basic shortcrust left in the fridge for as long as possible before using. I usually just use a good organic white flour, but i only had enough to do half and half with wholemeal.

then beef (idealy skirt, but any stewing steak will do) onions, potato and swede. No fucking carrots lol

large.basics.JPG

I'm still cooking in my caravan and couldn't face making giant ones. These are normal people sized pasties i guess. Saved hours, but i wished i'd made more.

large.5bddbf566ac2a_meatnonion.JPG

lots of salt and pepper

large.5bddbf5c69a0e_potsandswede.JPG

Only add egg wash to one side befor folding/crimping (otherwise it gets mushy), then i start in the middle working my way out to each end simultaniously. You'd be suprized how much you can fit in with a bit of practice and a good dough. Ginsters :doh:

large.crimped.JPG

(the selfraising flour was only out as i was using it to roll on, i was running out of flour :yep: )

Egg wash before putting into the oven. These went in for nearly 2 hours.

large.5bddbf417cffe_eggwash.JPG

I devoured these in one sitting lol that's why i normally make giant ones.

large_lush.JPG

That's a proper cornish pasty :pugwash:

@bazil brush get some of these in ya. hope you're doing ok mate :yep:

Edited by the lone deranger
self raising bit
5 people like this

On 26/05/2018 at 2:12 PM, the lone deranger said:

I've never bought a pasty that's come close, even in Cornwall. Phillips' came closest. Good fillings, but they mainly used flakey pastry and their shortcrust is proper shite. Inland pasties :wassnnme:

@Saddam

phelps pasties in hayle are delicious  as  are the ones up in Mc faddens in pendeen ..........  ever tried the ones from chough bakery in padstow ?  won best pasty 5 years in a row ...  now they   ARE   tasty mate ... give them a bash ...

Edited by vortex

25 minutes ago, the lone deranger said:

Back on topic lol

As promised @Saddam

:yep:

Forgot to take pic of the pastry, but it's just a basic shortcrust left in the fridge for as long as possible before using. I usually just use a good organic white flour, but i only had enough to do half and half with wholemeal.

then beef (idealy skirt, but any stewing steak will do) onions, potato and swede. No fucking carrots lol

large.basics.JPG

I'm still cooking in my caravan and couldn't face making giant ones. These are normal people sized pasties i guess. Saved hours, but i wished i'd made more.

large.5bddbf566ac2a_meatnonion.JPG

lots of salt and pepper

large.5bddbf5c69a0e_potsandswede.JPG

Only add egg wash to one side befor folding/crimping (otherwise it gets mushy), then i start in the middle working my way out to each end simultaniously. You'd be suprized how much you can fit in with a bit of practice and a good dough. Ginsters :doh:

large.crimped.JPG

(the selfraising flour was only out as i was using it to roll on, i was running out of flour :yep: )

Egg wash before putting into the oven. These went in for nearly 2 hours.

large.5bddbf417cffe_eggwash.JPG

I devoured these in one sitting lol that's why i normally make giant ones.

large_lush.JPG

That's a proper cornish pasty :pugwash:

@bazil brush get some of these in ya. hope you're doing ok mate :yep:

post-3870-0-50966500-1323953197_thumb.jpeg

They look bang on man

I'd still argue about the no carrots in traditional Cornish pasties, though. Traditional pasties were made from whatever veg the wife of the Cornish tin miner had to hand. Sometimes she had carrots. She probably put them in the pasties.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Boojum said:

Sometimes she had carrots

The fisherman/pirates wife never had carrots mate,  i just asked her daughter lol

@vortex i meant phelp's, noit phillips. They are good, but you have to ask specially for the shortcrust pastry. The flakey pastry just isnt right :banned:tastes odd too. I am going back a few years now though lol

1 person likes this

'Traditional' food like this doesn't have a recipe, or things that should or shouldn't be in them. It's poor people's food, and they couldn't afford to be picky about what ingredients they used. They used what they had. We can pick and choose now, and have chefs tell us what the 'real recipe' was, but back when there were no supermarkets they used what they had. They even put carrots in pasties :ohmygod:

2 people like this

If you want to make a REALLY authentic, traditional Cornish pasty then instead of worrying about whether or not there are carrots in it you should fill one of the ends with home made jam ;) That's how they were originally made, as a meal with dessert at one end.

Edited by Boojum
1 person likes this