Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sasquatch1

Root trainers

I've never used the root training pots before, what are the pros and cons 

Hello mate!  I have used "airpots" in the past. I suppose they do add something. They are tried and tested by nurseries for growing trees etc. What they add for cannabis growing is debatable as there are so many different growing factors that have to be taken into consideration. The reason I stopped using them was because I like my plants to be perfect (even if the house isn't) and like to keep my grow areas really clean. The airpots leak soil out of the big holes and when you need to empty them out, the airpots need to be unclipped, which is a very messy process. You can't just tip them upside down like a normal flowerpot.  Having said this, many growers continue to speak of the importance of aeration to the roots - so it has continued to be on my mind. 

I have just discovered something which may be a compromise. I am now changing all my normal pots over to aerated ones - but they are not anything that anyone else would be routinely using. I have discovered in Wilko that they are selling waste paper baskets made by Curver. These are round and 12 litres with a handle on either side at the top. They are full of small holes and much more strong & durable than the average flower pot. They are really easy to move your plants around because of the handles, and strongly made. The airholes are perfect for getting air to the roots of your plants, and potentially will have a similar effect as the proper airpots.  However, these waste paper baskets don't let the soil fall through as the holes are much smaller. These containers are on promotion right now in Wilko and are just 3 quid each! You can find them on ebay where they are double that price because of the postage costs. It is too early for me to give any conclusions, but I think these Curver (English made) products will make great growing pots which is why I am changing everything in favour of them.  Hope this helps in some way.

Better to be illegally alive - than legally dead.:smokin:

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I use root trainers for cloning as they are handy for transporting clones to your outdoor spot.. i.e, in a ruck sack for me...

the roots grow down wards in them giving a nice root mass for little pots..

cant go wrong for what they are..

eta..that's if we are talking about the same product.. the post above as thrown me bit..lol

Edited by emanon
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, emanon said:

eta..that's if we are talking about the same product.. the post above as thrown me bit..lol

Yes, looks like I misinterpreted the question.  I never even knew that root training pots existed. Totally different from airpots. There's always something new to learn! 

Now I know what they are, I am sure they would work well - but necessary? - I don't know. There are so many options available for everything we do.

Edited by Lancaster8
Spelling