Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

prawn

Blulab peridoser automated drippers

42 posts in this topic
7 minutes ago, prawn said:

I really like the idea of being able to raise/lower lights remotely (or even manually) looking at a winch set up and putting an strip of metal across all 3 lights for future endeavours...

Hey growyaboat - I've been out of the loop in recent years and seems like there's some new lights in town -- the 315w ceramics - very interesting thread was reading the other day... trouble is I need aircooling as my temps are at 30c already.. so changing for 6 315w without aircooling would be too hot I think?  I dont know as I'm not sure how much heat they put out...

Surely some company has produced an air cooled unit for the cmh ? I grow in an insulated outbuilding and i have the same problems on a heatwave week. totally scrapping my set up and starting again with a new modification.

4 hours ago, prawn said:

I really like the idea of being able to raise/lower lights remotely (or even manually) looking at a winch set up and putting an strip of metal across all 3 lights for future endeavours...

Hey growyaboat - I've been out of the loop in recent years and seems like there's some new lights in town -- the 315w ceramics - very interesting thread was reading the other day... trouble is I need aircooling as my temps are at 30c already.. so changing for 6 315w without aircooling would be too hot I think?  I dont know as I'm not sure how much heat they put out...

Is there some reason you can't beef up extraction/intake ? In my experience you can cool any amount of light once you move enough air. 

Can you run lights at night in summer? 

9 hours ago, GrowYaBoat said:

Surely some company has produced an air cooled unit for the cmh ? I grow in an insulated outbuilding and i have the same problems on a heatwave week. totally scrapping my set up and starting again with a new modification.

I think I read about some adapters so the new bulbs can be run in old reflectors? - not sure though- will have to a bit more digging 

6 hours ago, Ilpapa said:

Is there some reason you can't beef up extraction/intake ? In my experience you can cool any amount of light once you move enough air. 

Can you run lights at night in summer? 

It's always been a noise issue - any more extraction blowing out the side of my house will start raising suspicions I think - as it stands now I can run 3 lights at night aircooled and the noise is ok going outside (not the fan but the rush of air)... would love to get a 10" fan and grow without the glass but just not possible :/ 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, prawn said:

It's always been a noise issue - any more extraction blowing out the side of my house will start raising suspicions I think - as it stands now I can run 3 lights at night aircooled and the noise is ok going outside (not the fan but the rush of air)... would love to get a 10" fan and grow without the glass but just not possible :/ 

I feel your pain. Had a similar problem in a previous location. I ended up with a 12inch fan running at about 20%  (shortens fan life apparently) and found it was the stealthiest solution. Cooled 4 600s in high summer with a six inch intake. Both on variacs. Not always possible to make a 12 inch hole though I realize. Big fans turned down are much quieter definitely. I've read  an excellent article online fromfrom department of trade and industry about silencing ventilation. I'll see if I can find it over the weekend. 

E2a. That 12 inch fan is in my mates house five years on cooling one 1kw de light so has been running for seven yrs at about 20%. Doesn't seem to have shortened its life much. 

Edited by Ilpapa
Waxing lyrical
2 people like this

20 hours ago, prawn said:

I have 4 out of my 6 cmh lights on right now being easily cooled by a single 6" RVK - once I put the other 2 lights on I'll have 6 x 315w units running over 3.2m2 floorspace, being cooled by the 6" fan and a second 5" fan as backup - the room runs at 28ºC right now (perfect). 

However, when I had 1.2m2 floorspace and ran 2 x cmh 40cm above canopy it was really hard to control the temperatures below 30ºC, and that was when it was much colder outside. Ceiling height makes a massive difference, as does air volume in the chamber - more ceiling height (even if lights are hung low) gives more space for heat to move around...

I think the better approach with CMH is how @Golden Syrup recommends - ceiling height throughout, but have a lot of lights. Mine are flowering right now, and they stretch to a certain height, then hit the point of light saturation and now they just refuse to get taller and keep throwing more flowers into the canopy :) Really happy with the change in growth structure compared to HPS for sure! 

Love the doser - I'll need to pick your brain at some point in regards to automated Res top up from a mains water supply as yours looks very neat :notworthy:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

On 6/9/2018 at 0:09 AM, Ilpapa said:

I feel your pain. Had a similar problem in a previous location. I ended up with a 12inch fan running at about 20%  (shortens fan life apparently) and found it was the stealthiest solution. Cooled 4 600s in high summer with a six inch intake. Both on variacs. Not always possible to make a 12 inch hole though I realize. Big fans turned down are much quieter definitely. I've read  an excellent article online fromfrom department of trade and industry about silencing ventilation. I'll see if I can find it over the weekend. 

E2a. That 12 inch fan is in my mates house five years on cooling one 1kw de light so has been running for seven yrs at about 20%. Doesn't seem to have shortened its life much. 

Me too mate...I've been running an 8" fan at about 50-60% for years and it's still going strong- definitely quieter than smaller fans... not sure about when it leaves the house through the vent though.. logically it shouldn't matter what size fan just volume of air?  seems to make a difference though..

On 6/9/2018 at 9:14 AM, potato1356 said:

I have 4 out of my 6 cmh lights on right now being easily cooled by a single 6" RVK - once I put the other 2 lights on I'll have 6 x 315w units running over 3.2m2 floorspace, being cooled by the 6" fan and a second 5" fan as backup - the room runs at 28ºC right now (perfect). 

However, when I had 1.2m2 floorspace and ran 2 x cmh 40cm above canopy it was really hard to control the temperatures below 30ºC, and that was when it was much colder outside. Ceiling height makes a massive difference, as does air volume in the chamber - more ceiling height (even if lights are hung low) gives more space for heat to move around...

I think the better approach with CMH is how @Golden Syrup recommends - ceiling height throughout, but have a lot of lights. Mine are flowering right now, and they stretch to a certain height, then hit the point of light saturation and now they just refuse to get taller and keep throwing more flowers into the canopy :) Really happy with the change in growth structure compared to HPS for sure! 

Love the doser - I'll need to pick your brain at some point in regards to automated Res top up from a mains water supply as yours looks very neat :notworthy:

cheers potato1356 - hit me up for a link to the solinoid valve ;) 
yeah- I've got some ceiling height now so it's a possibility.. I dont know.. I've heard that they give out the same heat watt for watt as hps so I still think I'd have to aircool them which is possible too? ah I dunno... something to think on for me - much more reading up I think...

Edited by prawn
1 person likes this

Here's the girls at 3 weeks - same settings 5.9ph and 15ec of canna coco - nowt else.

dropped the feed times to 8 mins - 2 times every 24hrs (once an hour after lights on and once 2 hours before lights off)

large.1.jpglarge.2.jpglarge.3.jpglarge.4.jpglarge.5.jpglarge.6.jpglarge.7.jpg

The extra space compared to growing in a loft is brilliant.. even though misjudged the stretch a bit so they're quite close to the lights but had a bit of a shuffle and moved the taller ones to the sides (an added benefit to growing in airpots)

large.8.jpg

big up the brain!

large.9.jpg

love these little guys...

large_10.jpg

this has made a huge difference - room was way too dry in the first week.. got this set on a timer to come on with the lights..plants love it- always reaching for the lights when I check up on them :) 

2 people like this

there are shades that are air cooled without cooling the lamp directly - dimlux shades and i linked a cmh one in that cmh thread are amazing....

cmh definitely put out the equivalent heat in hps wattage - but the changes in growth structure are worth it already for me. hps lets plants get out of control, cmh seems to tame them a lot more. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, potato1356 said:

there are shades that are air cooled without cooling the lamp directly - dimlux shades and i linked a cmh one in that cmh thread are amazing....

cmh definitely put out the equivalent heat in hps wattage - but the changes in growth structure are worth it already for me. hps lets plants get out of control, cmh seems to tame them a lot more. 

what's the consensus on using cmh in existing reflectors with the adapter thing for the bulb?

then I could have 3 extra air cooled reflectors and keep temps down? ...

Edited by prawn
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

On 6/13/2018 at 7:57 AM, prawn said:

Me too mate...I've been running an 8" fan at about 50-60% for years and it's still going strong- definitely quieter than smaller fans... not sure about when it leaves the house through the vent though.. logically it shouldn't matter what size fan just volume of air?  seems to make a difference though..

It's to do with the air speed. If ducting is bigger then for a given volume of air the speed is reduced. Slow moving air means less whooshing. A 12" pipe has about 4.5 times the area of a six inch. Same volume of air moves at less than a quarter of the speed. If you want your air exiting the building to be stealthier then increase your exit duct size. This works even if you keep your existing fan and ductwork inside. 

Works better with bigger duct everywhere and a big fan at reduced speed. Less friction and turbulence in system. 

First rule of hvac design is use big ducting to reduce noise. 

E2a. Just did a calculation and even going from six to eight inch duct almost halves the air velocity for a given volume of air. 

Edited by Ilpapa
1 person likes this

21 hours ago, prawn said:

what's the consensus on using cmh in existing reflectors with the adapter thing for the bulb?

then I could have 3 extra air cooled reflectors and keep temps down? ...

I seem to recall someone saying it reduces lamp life? I would ask @Joint hogger or @Golden Syrup :) 

If you used the converter on the cmh lamp and put it in your air cooled hood you'd be losing a lot of efficiency - 10% minimum to glass, 10-20% in PAR loss due to the filament of the lamp not burning at a high enough temp, maybe a bit more due to converter.... I'd use a shade where the heat is drawn from the shade not the lamp directly, but they're pricey.... 

if using loads of aircooled hoods is your only option, I'd opt for a 2 lamp holding shade, put 2 x 930 agros in it, and slow the fans down a bit so you maintain about 28-30ºC in the room with a high humidity (60%+). that way you minimise how much you are cooling the lamps, so maximising available light. 

1 person likes this