Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Green Hornet

Anyone use clay pellets for mulch?

I read mulchiing is a good idea so was thinking of putting clay pellets on the top of the soil in my pots. It's an outdoor grow. anyone done this? cheers

1 person likes this

mulching should be organic matter that breaks down 

2 people like this

I've got a massive sack (fnarr fnarr) of balls that I bought on a whim and they've been getting in the way for over a year now, I have thought about chucking them down with the hardcore for the shed base recently. 

1 person likes this

I use them for drainage at the bottom of pots. Will use cut grass as mulch then. Sorry took a minute to respond as I didn't realise I got replies to the question. Thanks for your advise Ledbudz and Assault and Battery

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

What about the clay balls on top of the organic mulch layer to block light and stop water evaporating? 

:bangin::bangin::rofl::rofl: just realised that’s what the organic mulch layers for

Edited by B0bbyBuds
Being an idiot
3 people like this

On 08/05/2018 at 5:50 PM, The Green Hornet said:

I read mulchiing is a good idea so was thinking of putting clay pellets on the top of the soil in my pots. It's an outdoor grow. anyone done this? cheers

I use clay pebbles on the top of my soil in pots .. not so much as a mulch, but for other benefits.

Mainly for watering, it reduces movement on the top soil layer encouraging root growth higher up the tap root.

It also helps a more even distribution of water in the pot.

large.Humboldtautos-day24.jpg

I ran out of pebbles on the last one!

:yep:

7 people like this

Good to hear this, so I can do that. Seems it also fulfills some of the purpose of mulch too. Thanks

1 person likes this

Used them more for stopping water evaporation and keeping the soil nice and dark as it usually is in nature.

2 people like this