Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

LovinTheBeans

opinions
Calling all AUTOPOT users!! Setup questions

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have some questions which I'm aiming at the seasoned autopot user because im just about to set up the 8 pot, 15l system - its still boxed right now until im clear in my mind.

Firstly, whilst everything possible will be done to prevent flooding, I'm mindful that this can still happen.  I have 2 garland trays that are big enough to fit 4 autopots in each - the two trays between them can hold almost the entire res which would prevent damage in a flood... question is,  will putting the autopots inside a tray have any adverse effects on the autopot being able to function?  For clarity,  the res is situated 18 inches above the floor. The garland trays are around 4-5 inches tall.

Secondly,  it is my understanding that root control mats will prevent the roots from making it into the autopot trays- presumably this is done to prevent clogging and roots interfering with the aqua valve.  So then,  if roots cannot get into the tray and if an inch or two of clay balls are put into the pot how do the plants feed?  Once the autopot trays are full im sure there is *some* contact with the clay balls but what about the coco? How about when the tray is 50% full?  Forgive my stupid question here but i cant see how the trays can ever become totally empty (triggering a refill) without some sort of wicking, which surely can only happen if there is good contact with the coco itself (clay balls dont wick).  Am i missing something or is my logic flawed?  

Lastly,  ive decided to use the ionic nutrient range for the first run.  Anyone using Ionic with autopots have any tips/diaries, etc?

Thank you all for your opinions and advice.

Hiya pal! 

I've just done my first ever autopot run and it's quite easy to get set up and running really. 

Definitely have 2 inches of clay balls in the bottom of the pots with the gold root control Matt below them facing down.

I used 50/50 soil and perlite.

I grew some pineapple express and 2 went over 5ft and 2 stayed under 2 ft 

Which caused shit.'my fault not training'.

Your need to hand feed them for at least 2 weeks before putting on the system to allow the roots go grow through the clay balls and root the pot and you r be flying mate. 

I've got more seeds on for another go straight away lol , I was leaving mine for 3 days and no problems really just pH which I had someone checking for me.

I never used mine in trays like your going too. If you do put them in try I'd get some bungs and drill some small holes in the bottoms for the pipes to run through to the auto trays , small enough to be water tight but not pinching and stopping them. 

My trays blocked in the last week and I have a tent full of water , luckily I had my Matt in the bottom to catch it all lol .

My Res was only 4-5 inches off the ground.

Apart from that I liked using them !

I just stuffed my grow up over feeding and them locking out :/ i didn't think about ec but kept pH tiptop. 

Sorry it's all over the shop pal , just smoked some bad ass amnesia lol

Atb! 

1 person likes this

Hi mate and thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear about your spillage... ive read of several people who have suffered from autopot floods and thats why i want to be proactive and plan for it even though it may never happen.

Id like a few more opinions regarding these garland trays. I hear what you are saying, holes in them would allow the piping to sit evenly at floor level but that really defeats the whole point of the excercise. Trying to get a bung which snugs the tray and pipeline EXACTLY to make a watertight seal whilst not affecting pressure isnt a road i want to travel as it introduces more failure points.

I was hoping that since the res sits a good foot above the garland trays that hacking holes won't be needed. Surely someone uses garland trays with autopots.... can you chime in?

@LovinTheBeans.. Hi there. I use autopots, I've had the odd blockages but no floods and it was caused by not being able to clean the pipework from tank to valves properly.. I now change it every grow (I bought 50m coil of 4mm tubing) and never had any bother now with blocks etc. I clean valves with toothbrush at end of grow. So far so good and hope all goes well for ya man. Cheers gonge :george:

1 person likes this

I used Auto pots for a few years, I really didn't get on with them at all, loads of clogged up valves even when I was using the cleaner stuff in with the feed. I threw them out and got a Wilma system after the forth or fifth flood, and I still have the stains on my living room wall where the water/ feed mix was running down it from the room above..... I hope that they suit you and that you have a great grow with them.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, LovinTheBeans said:

Firstly, whilst everything possible will be done to prevent flooding, I'm mindful that this can still happen.  I have 2 garland trays that are big enough to fit 4 autopots in each - the two trays between them can hold almost the entire res which would prevent damage in a flood... question is,  will putting the autopots inside a tray have any adverse effects on the autopot being able to function?  For clarity,  the res is situated 18 inches above the floor. The garland trays are around 4-5 inches tall.

As long as the res is higher, it'll work.

1 hour ago, LovinTheBeans said:

Forgive my stupid question here but i cant see how the trays can ever become totally empty (triggering a refill) without some sort of wicking, which surely can only happen if there is good contact with the coco itself (clay balls dont wick).  Am i missing something or is my logic flawed?  

Your logic is flawed, the clay balls will wick very small amounts of moisture which will then hit the coir and wick upwards. Soon as the roots hit the bottom of the clay balls, you are "cooking with gas", so to speak.

Personally I wouldn't use the autopot as it comes as standard, plants sitting in water all of the time is probably the worst idea I've ever seen executed. I'm not saying members here haven't had great results with autopot, but they are fundamentally flawed IMO as the pots just stay too wet. Have a look at those plant!t watering timers, you can time the floods to the bottom of the trays then and would probably have a better time all around. They're about £30.

2 people like this

Thanks for your input guys. I think ill definitely use the garland trays.  Im a pretty clean gardener so am hopeful along with ATA clean to stay on top of things.

Since as people are saying the coco stays very wet ill go with a 50/50 mix which should help.

Righty-o..... set up time... yawn!!

1 person likes this

I would stick with the coco and layer of clay balls mate rather than a 50 50 mix and just add a maintenence dose of h202to your nute mix, when i go away for a couple of days i fill the runoff trays with water and h202 it helps prevent root rot. 

1 person likes this

Litterealy just had a very quick scan through,  haven't read any posts properly....  should be working I'm just procrastinating here lol

anyway saw the words auto pot and garland tray...  I make or buy 1.2 meter trays a few inches deep,.  add a 'easy2go' aqua valve in each tray linked to a res...  have plants sat in the trays,  you can use polystyrene or similar with holes cut to take the pots to stop potential evaporation / humidity issues if need be...  much cheaper than buying multiple separate auto pots....  also with small adjustment can be used to bring on seedlings on mass...  sure most people here wouldnt believe just how much they can be sat in water even at the seedling stage and  thrive...  all the 'wet feet' issues are massively over talked about imo with people thinking its the end of the world , same people probably never tried the techniques described or similar like swamp tubes etc...  

anyway, going off on separate issue,  aqua valve in garland trays work a treat...

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Amarillo slim i think you totally misundetstood mate lol but for what its worth, if i had room and wanted a tent full of clones your idea would be good. Doesnt stack up for multi strain autos tho bud.

@cocopips im trying to avoid a mix that is prone to becoming too wet hence the perlite mix. Maybe 50/50 is over the top but im damn sure pure coco has some drawbacks.  Even autopot recommds a perlite mix at 30% i believe - from memory that so i might be wrong.

Ive not got established plants to put in yet and am still deciding on medium so if any autopot peeps wanna chime in?

Edited by LovinTheBeans

I have been using Autopots For 1 of my setups. Coco and clay balls is all i use now, tried the perlite mix and coco and coco balls when first started but saw better results with just clays balls. Works For me :smokin:

1 person likes this

All my ionic nutes have arrived and despite ordering coco nutes, hydro nutes arrived.... duh smh.  On the plus side, they seriously fucked up the quantity and sent me more than double the size i ordered... stoner packer??

Ive read about people using the ionic hydro nutes with coco  with success and technically we are hydro so i think instead of returning them,  ill just suck it and see (since they fucked up big time at their expense!!)

I dont have an awful lot of pebbles so im saving them for the bottom of pots. On the other hand, i have almost 100l of perlite so im gonna go with 65% coco, 30% perlite and 5% spent & ground trim (nitrogen fix plus it uses it up!!).  I use myco fungi at each pot up and ill be using cannazym also.

4 of 11 have popped after 18 hours.  Im starting them off in 1 litre pots then going straight to finals.... just need these beans to get a shuffle on ;)

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, LovinTheBeans said:

@Amarillo slim i think you totally misundetstood mate lol but for what its worth, if i had room and wanted a tent full of clones your idea would be good. Doesnt stack up for multi strain autos tho bud.

@cocopips im trying to avoid a mix that is prone to becoming too wet hence the perlite mix. Maybe 50/50 is over the top but im damn sure pure coco has some drawbacks.  Even autopot recommds a perlite mix at 30% i believe - from memory that so i might be wrong.

Ive not got established plants to put in yet and am still deciding on medium so if any autopot peeps wanna chime in?

thought as much.. like i said didnt read properly (stupid to post then i know)  

guessing wouldnt work for multi strain autos because each could want different feeds at different times>?

also personally would sack off the clay balls / perlite and just go with pure coco with something like calcified seaweed added as a PH buffer perhaps..  all the other shits just gonna be taking up space in your pot imo

I vowed never to due PURE coco again because its sits too wet and raises my humidity too much. I dare say the problem would be even worse in an autopot.  I value my filter and flower stage too much to risk it mate but not saying others shouldnt, its just not for me.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Amarillo slim said:

also personally would sack off the clay balls / perlite and just go with pure coco with something like calcified seaweed added as a PH buffer perhaps..  all the other shits just gonna be taking up space in your pot imo

:doh:Definitely not a good idea coming from an experienced Auto pot grower,.. they need that 2" pebbles so they are not sitting in direct water drenched 24/7

2 people like this