Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

whazzatt?

new veg unit, 2 light options, which would you choose?

New accommodation, and new constraints.

Confined to a small veg space, flowering will occur outdoors.

Can only draw 100ish watts for the veg unit. Used less watts before with success, cfl's. Took youngins out into sun every now and again and will likely be able to do the same here. 

Two options stand out for lighting, and I'd appreciate thoughts and opinions - what seems best?

FIRST: T5 High Output linear fluorescent setup (fishtank housing unit), 2 foot bulbs, four of them at 24W each, totaling just under 100W.

SECOND: LEDs that my buddy linked me to. Would get 7 of them, totaling 105W, and I'd make a 'unit'. Here is the description: AC220V 15W Full Spectrum 380-840nm DIY LED 

$_20.JPG

51998675-f795-4318-90e6-8e9e2819fab4.jpg

Posted (edited)

You'll need roughly the same power of LEDs as with fluorescents. They may be good, but not 7 times as good :)

EDIT :- oops - re-read your post ...

Interesting LEDs - surprisingly low power so should be quite gentle - so good for seedlings - maybe someone else has experience of those ...

You will need a very good heatsink for 100 watts' worth of those - plus thermal paste etc.

Edited by cultivateur

Yes, looking into heat sinks now.

The ease of the T5 unit is appealing. I might be able to get a used one at an affordable price.

But if the quality of plant growth from the LEDs is better, then it may be worth the tinkering to rig up the LEDs.

Come to think of it, my friend has access to old PC parts - there's a recycle unit at his work; wonder if I could find heat sinks in the piles and piles of stuff at his disposal... 

Posted (edited)

15W LED lamps will grow them (I use these for vegging combined with CFL and are the globe type, B22 fit)

Can get LED tubes too mind for the T5 systems ;)

e2a

where do you get those LED chips mate, they look very interesting ?

Edited by botanics

7 minutes ago, botanics said:

where do you get those LED chips mate, they look very interesting ?

Can I post a link here? It's a South African version of ebay; but the seller location says 'international'. I've not been active on this forum for a few years so outta the 'rules' loop. 

1 person likes this

Site rules say no links for vendors other than site sponsors so a no no there mate...contractual obligation no doubt, but doesn't matter as you've provided enough information and many thanks for doing so :v: might as well look into these  :g:

11 hours ago, whazzatt? said:

New accommodation, and new constraints.

Confined to a small veg space, flowering will occur outdoors.

Can only draw 100ish watts for the veg unit. Used less watts before with success, cfl's. Took youngins out into sun every now and again and will likely be able to do the same here. 

Two options stand out for lighting, and I'd appreciate thoughts and opinions - what seems best?

FIRST: T5 High Output linear fluorescent setup (fishtank housing unit), 2 foot bulbs, four of them at 24W each, totaling just under 100W.

SECOND: LEDs that my buddy linked me to. Would get 7 of them, totaling 105W, and I'd make a 'unit'. Here is the description: AC220V 15W Full Spectrum 380-840nm DIY LED 

$_20.JPG

51998675-f795-4318-90e6-8e9e2819fab4.jpg

Hey Whazzatt,

These 2 grow lights are both going to work.

To answer which one is the best, it depends on what your trying to do. :rolleyes:

The T5 will allow you to cover a larger area whereas the LED will have a better light penetration.

Here is the answer: 

If you're trying to grow many small plants, go for the T5.

If you want just want a few large and tall plants, go for the LED.

Cheers from Ireland,

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Dublin City Diesel said:

If you're trying to grow many small plants, go for the T5.

If you want just want a few large and tall plants, go for the LED.

Thanks DCD, not too often that I get such a straight answer on forums in general. Mind you, out of all the ones I have use and continue to use, this one is always the most helpful. 

I am favouring the simplicity of the T5 unit, as well as the wider light spread. Never used LEDs so no experience of the more concentrated light spread to which you refer. 

I foresee a larger number of smaller plants, which I will be able to take outside every now and again during veg, and then move outside completely when it's flower time. This was my process in the past and it worked, despite extremely slow veg growth when I couldn't move the plants outside for a while for various reasons. Not a huge prob though.  

Maybe I should just get the T5 unit to begin, then order and fiddle with the LEDs gradually seeing as they take up to 60 days to import...

1 person likes this

I bought both lol

T5 unit should be with me soon; will get things going.

LEDs in a month or two; will take my time rigging them up...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, whazzatt? said:

Thanks DCD, not too often that I get such a straight answer on forums in general. Mind you, out of all the ones I have use and continue to use, this one is always the most helpful. 

I am favouring the simplicity of the T5 unit, as well as the wider light spread. Never used LEDs so no experience of the more concentrated light spread to which you refer. 

I foresee a larger number of smaller plants, which I will be able to take outside every now and again during veg, and then move outside completely when it's flower time. This was my process in the past and it worked, despite extremely slow veg growth when I couldn't move the plants outside for a while for various reasons. Not a huge prob though.  

Maybe I should just get the T5 unit to begin, then order and fiddle with the LEDs gradually seeing as they take up to 60 days to import...

You are welcome Vegging Nicely. 

I have always used a T5 for my mother plants, seedlings and clones. It's actually not going to grow slower with it. The thing is, it only the top 4-5 inches close to the lamps that are going to really benefit. In other words, when the plants get taller, you need a light with a better light penetration powa!

Leds and T5s are both power efficient. 

Why would you only move them outdoors for the flowering phase? You could move them outside sooner than August...

Or maybe you want to induce flowering indoors and them move them outdoors so they finish sooner?:yep:

Edited by Dublin City Diesel

On 3/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, Dublin City Diesel said:

You are welcome Vegging Nicely. 

Umm, LOL! Take a closer look at where user's names appear and their 'status'... you'll see what I mean.

On 3/14/2018 at 3:38 PM, Dublin City Diesel said:

Why would you only move them outdoors for the flowering phase? You could move them outside sooner than August...

Or maybe you want to induce flowering indoors and them move them outdoors so they finish sooner?:yep:

I'm not in the UK. Southern hemisphere rather.

In my setups of yesteryear, which I plan to copy, there were usually vegging plants of different ages in the indoor setup. Certain constraints have prevented an indoor flower setup. So basically I take out the vegging plants when they are too big for the indoor space. Results vary; sometimes mediocre, sometimes excellent, depending on time of year. I've had more reliable results when all was done indoors, but I'm happy with some variety in results.  

1 person likes this

LoL! My bad whazzat,

I got you. Because the weather is great in Australia, you can do the vegetative cycle indoors and then, take them outdoors no matter the season. I wish it were possible around here :no:

I lived in Brisbane for 2 months, the weather was soooo perfect for growing outdoors.