Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MD84

How did i kill my plants in NFT?

17 posts in this topic

Hi all just after some help so i can find out how i killed my ladies in my nft system.  3 weeks into bloom i look in on my 3 ladies in the nft 424 tray and they were all badly wilted.

I checked the top tray and feed pump and everything was working properly and the roots were not dry. I did not see any big pools of water. 2 days prior to that i topped up the res and

slightly overfilled it as they were drinking so much. I did not notice the top tray flooding so it looked ok but i couldnt see right at the back of the tray. Roots were all looking fine only just off white.

I gave them a few days to see if they would bounce back but they continued to worsen and dry up. The only thing that makes sense which somebody told me was that i possibly

drowned the fine root hairs leaving the plants unable to take up more water so they cannabilised themselves. Makes sense to a degree but i would have though the thick roots would

have been enough to keep them alive. I've noticed some black flecks in the bottom of the tank, either bits of plastic or old nutes. I say plastic because i was using a product called silver bullet roots

and i'm not sure if it was corrosive. Also had an mj500 water pump circulating the water. 3 cuts of gsc 3 weeks into bloom just wilted and died and looked perfect up until that point. I appreciate any help..

1 person likes this

I'm not a hydro growers but it sounds like root problem. Someone will come along soon.

1 person likes this

High reservoir temps will reduce the oxygen in the solution, couple that with little to no aeration/agitation of the solution and that decreases oxygen further. Pathogens like pythium love this environment but before they appear the roots will struggle to supply the plants what she needs. Just info for you not saying that's what it was... I mean it could've been but in conjunction with something(s) else as well. Whenever I had signs of wilt I just backed off the feeding a bit. Sometimes it took a long time to recover though. When hydro goes wrong like that its a right pain in the arse to sort out. Maybe time for coco.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Chester Copperpot said:

High reservoir temps will reduce the oxygen in the solution, couple that with little to no aeration/agitation of the solution and that decreases oxygen further. Pathogens like pythium love this environment but before they appear the roots will struggle to supply the plants what she needs. Just info for you not saying that's what it was... I mean it could've been but in conjunction with something(s) else as well. Whenever I had signs of wilt I just backed off the feeding a bit. Sometimes it took a long time to recover though. When hydro goes wrong like that its a right pain in the arse to sort out. Maybe time for coco.

Appreciate the response. I've had it with coco, i used it for years and just don't get on with it. Luckily i had a few soil ladies at the side as insurance incase this sort of thing happened.

I'm pretty sure the issue was me overfilling the res. Even if it was ever so slightly. But i would have thought if i suffocated them that the roots would have been far darker than they actually were?

I had an mj500 circulating the res too. Even though res temps were a touch high at 23c they seemed perfectly healthy up until that point. The silver bullet roots product that i was sold is meant

to take care of pythium etc. Pretty stumped lol

the night i overfilled the res i also gave them a slightly higher dose of the silver bullets roots and the water i topped up with was a touch cold but only took res temps down to 19c before it stabilised at 21c.

Edited by MD84

by overfilling has the water over-run the top tray? Sounds like you drowned them

1 person likes this

3 weeks into bloom with perfect looking plants and roots with temps 23c up until then. you think i would've had issues had i not physicay drowned them?

1 minute ago, nl5 said:

by overfilling has the water over-run the top tray? Sounds like you drowned them

i could only see from the pump end and it did not look as though it had flooded the top tray but i'm not 100% sure.  the water level had also dropped significantly 48 hours after i overfilled it so they were drinking alot still at that point.

Should put a mark on the tank where the max water level is, I did mine by scoring it with a knife and putting tippex in the score.

1 person likes this

yeah nutriculture have marked it but i got pissed off with topping it up every two nights lol so thought it would be ok for a night. Everyone also recommends putting something

under the pump end to help prevent pooling in the top tray so this makes things rise a little at the other end. Such a disaster from a seemingly small mistake lol

1 person likes this

You shouldn't need to. hasn't your pump got a valve on the side to turn it down? Doubt you drown them with flowing water, it's the tank over-running the top tray that will..

my nft trays are 10 year old+ maybe different to what's sold now.

1 person likes this

yeah you can turn it up and down. Most folk just seem to recommend doing that  to help flow. Makes sense i guess considering how much the roots developed i could see them stopping the flow

well i've only gone and done it again. 3 weeks into bloom with 3 ladies on the tray and the one at the back started drooping from the bottom up. The ec was rising so i changed the res for fresh water at a lower ec and the droop seems to be slowly taking over. This time i have a big airpump going too. This NFT tables getting binned if these lot die too lol

EC rising? What is you PH doing?

What is your nute temp? what is your EC? what is your PH?

If they are drooping and your EC is rising it sounds like overfeeding. either because of adding too much food, or root rot.

I run with my roots constantly submerged in nute solution, my plants would die every single time if you could 'drown' them. The only way they could 'drown' is if your nute temp was too high, leading to root rot, your O2 was too low, leading to root rot.

2 people like this

May be oxygen starvation, easy to do with NFT if the pumps running too fast and there is no aeration.

With NFT I'd always use a 3 inch square of rockwool so the roots were anchored. Still needed tying down as with NFT the roots grow into a mat on the spreader mat and can easily become dislodged from the tray itself. Make sure that has not happened.

I'd never use NFT without a good air bubbler in there.

Also, the old black NFT tanks could get really hot in a grow room, if you have a thermostat, it turns off when the water is too hot but cannot cool it down IF the water heats up too much. I'd test how hot it is after being lights on for a few hours.

Last but not least, when one plant gets ill, they all get ill. They share the reservoir so if one has some pathogen or disease its easy to spread.

Grew in NFT a long time ago. Had some fantastic results but prefer organic, each in its own pot.

1 person likes this