Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

monkeypig

Is it time we had a rethink about the Indica / Sativa terms we use?

109 posts in this topic

Having read articles (but not the book itself)  about the  Robert Connell Clarke book Cannabis: Evolution and Ethnobotany, the author believes we are using the wrong descriptions for our beloved plants.

From my limited understanding he says that all Cannabis Sativa is just hemp, whereas the psychoactive forms are all cannabis indica (with various subsections - Afghanica, Chinensis, Spontania (sp?) and Indica indica)

But still we seem to be stuck in the Indica = short broad leafed couchlock , Sativa thin tall uplifting  way of describing and categorising the plant.

I'm not trying to correct anyone or cause a shitfest, I just wanted to see what people here thought about it (if indeed anyone does) and discuss it like the adults we all are:smokin:

Apologies if this has been done before, I did search but nothing came up.

2 people like this

Believe R.C.Clarke, modern terminology does not make sense but is used to make things understandable for the masses, like this...

In 1785, Jean-Baptiste Lamarck published a description of a second species of Cannabis, which he named Cannabis indica. Lamarck based his description of the newly named species on plant specimens collected in India

Sativa, Sativus, and Sativum are Latin botanical adjectives meaning cultivated, used to designate certain seed-grown domestic crops.

10 people like this

Hence the:

Cannabis Sativa L. Indica = Weed originating from ancient India (Ancient being a bit older then us (us = me))

If you "learn" history from seed companies you can read:

Indica = short and stoned
Sativa = Tall and high

Companies..like the one I run... use terminology based on a mobile friendly society (mobile = braindead). and use Indica and Sativa as one would use Black and White.

16 people like this

Robert Connell Clarke is an enlightened master of Cannabinology, we are not worthy and I urge most to not ever read his books as it will blow your mind, imagine being told that the matrix is true...not good for society mate.,...hush hush, focus on autoflowering LED systems with 29%THC.... take the red pill mate, it is safer.

15 people like this

sorry @amsterdammer are you saying you agree with Mr Connell Clarke then? 

It seems to make sense to me, but I'm not really an academic

It just seems the world seems to be dragging its heels when it comes to updating what we know

It is not a matter if I agree, I can or can not agree with gravity but it would not change gravity however I think about it.

What R.C.Clarke said is correct, we use the wrong terminology.

But he wrote that a long time ago and these days words are invented or reaffirmed by commercial entities.

What is F1 these days.
What is Indica?

R.C.Clarke is held in the highest regards for his knowledge of Cannabis, I know him pretty well from the past, he is perhaps the only one person who can identify genotypes by the way a plant looks, but genotypes mean shit these days...I am not talking about the difference between a Critical and a Girl Scout Cookie..but true genotypical differences between landrace species and true P1-F1 generations.

Anyway, I am confusing myself now, bit drunk and quite stoned...lol

But yes, R.C.Clarke is right.

14 people like this

I/we/seedism still have a few clones actually selected by R.C.Clarke as he was quite involved with selecting phenotypes back in the days in Amsterdam when he worked with Ben (dronkers), Eddie (redeker) and Sam (skunkman) to name a few.
Not sure right now after a few bottles of Cava, but I think he was responsible for the better Afghani genetics back then...but I will try to get more info as I also love chatting about history and shizzle.

9 people like this

Just now, amsterdammer said:

I/we/seedism still have a few clones actually selected by R.C.Clarke as he was quite involved with selecting phenotypes back in the days in Amsterdam when he worked with Ben (dronkers), Eddie (redeker) and Sam (skunkman) to name a few.
Not sure right now after a few bottles of Cava, but I think he was responsible for the better Afghani genetics back then...but I will try to get more info as I also love chatting about history and shizzle....when drunkish on cheap but good Champagne

1 person likes this

As @amsterdammer is getting at.......sativa is a botanical term not to be used exclusively with cannabis. 

For example oryza sativa which is rice.

Does not mean the rice has long thin leaves and doesn't leave you couchlocked.

10 people like this

Isn't sativa meant to mean something to do with being growing after a fire, like a forest fire? Or is that ruderalis? Or neither. Don't know, its in my head from somewhere though :unsure:

1 person likes this

Taxonomies (systems of classification) reflect the relative importance of a subject/object (not entering into a Cartesian debate) to a body of research that finds it useful for whatever purposes to make distinctions between one thing and another...

So, the relative lack of diversity suggests a relative disinterest within any given branch of academic disciple/s...

The rough and ready division between sativa and indica hides any actual diversity that may be present either within or between the terms - that said, any form of diversity that might emerge simply reflects another interests - what I mean to say, the names given to things that make them separate or distinct are only one way of making those things distinct and, as far as naming goes, they might as well all be one as they might be many because the divisions reflect human interests not natural states.

:hippy:

Edited by Slugums
awful grammar...

I do remember a previous discussion on this subject in the past, iirc most of us were happy enough with the current sat/ind labels. 

6 people like this

saw a video where he explained this think its abit too far down the line to try rename things I get what he says though. love the work him kevin jodrey and a few others are doing on mapping the history of strains and fining where they come from with dna sequencing, chrome otology or some other batshit crazy science stuff. 

4 people like this

1 hour ago, THC4METOO said:

I do remember a previous discussion on this subject in the past, iirc most of us were happy enough with the current sat/ind labels. 

I hear you, but it's been bugging me for a while that as it's been out there for a while, surely as enlightened people of UK420 should we not move with the times?

I still find myself thinking in terms of indica/sat too, but maybe even having this discussion we can start to move with the times. The more of us embrace the new taxonomy (is that the right word? Not trying to be smart!)

the easier it will be to discuss things with these terms without having to preach or convert from the old ways.

Or maybe it's a case of "we've always done it this way and we're not going to change"

1 person likes this