Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

badbillybob

knock off bluelabs

after getting less than a months use out of my previous bluelab truncheon  and ph meter due to pig theft, I was looking for replacements, but an pretty skint.

I spotted some ph and ec truncheons on ebay and wondered if anyone here uses them, and if they are any good?

they look like bluelabs but usea metal sensor and are about 20 quid each.

I'm going on the reasoning that they have sold hundreds with hardly any poor feedback

anyone?

1 person likes this

Anyone?

At that price why not just take a punt on it, it's not a lot to lose...

I've used a few different blue lab meters, all been shite.  The cheap ph & e.c pens work a treat. 

I've been looking into these cheaper ones too lately, be interesting to see views and opinions :yep:

the thing is tho, how would you know that they were off compared to the real Bluelabs accuracy, wait till your plants either starve or burn ?

3 people like this

Anyone?

I ended up buying one, and will check its accuracy against my mates bluelab ec truncheon.

I went for the one with the glass sensor instead of the metal one, 

Its an eco stick or something like that. I'm going thru to me mates next week so will let you know, but it cant be any worse than my cheap ebay Chinese one, which was miles out and wouldn't calibrate. 

1 person likes this

I got my mate a unbranded truncheon (it's green...but apart from that and no bluelab livery, it's pretty much the same) over ten years ago and it's still going strong, never been calibrated or the like either, been miss-treated if anything and it measures perfect. Hanna meters are good too...

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

well, Botanics,  here is my verdict on these- eco-stick truncheons. Don't bother, they are shite. that's the short version

I got a cghance to check it against my mates bluelab

checked against mates bluelab, in his res, which read 0.8ec, my eco shit stick  reads 2.0 -over double

tried calibrating it again, this time  in 1.4 ec calibration solution.

First I checked the solution against mates bluelab an, no surprise, it reads 1.4 , so the bluelab,  its spot on,

tried el cheapostick and its at 2.4. then to calibrate it, your meant to leave it in the solution for a minute, and then calibrate it with a magnet, which you hold against the probe, and truncheon should read back to zero, then go to 1.4. 

nope, it goes down to 2.0 and sticks there. 

tried brand new batteries and it starts jumping between 2.0 and 2.4, so basically its crap, miles out and un calibratable. 

ive asked for a refund from the seller, they can eco stick it where the sun don't shine.

I'm buying a bluelab, buy cheap, buy twice.

don't waste your time on this Chinese garbage

Edited by badbillybob
5 people like this

:( Sorry to read of your troubles @badbillybob ...I took the plunge on a deal bud and got and EC/TDS for more than half the money and also a PH.   I've been using them and with my plants that were almost dead they are coming back for me, so I must be in the right numbers with mine as they are in coco not sure how accurate they are in comparison to bluelabs but happy with them tbh mate :v:

1 person likes this

glad you got sorted. 

I used to just use the cheap yellow ph pens, and blue ec pens, and they worked well enough to be honest, but this time I got a beige ec pen (cheapo, under a tenner, andits crap too, so I'm biting the bullet, because a few points of ec in RDWC can mean the difference between healthy plants, and dead ones.

2 people like this

Weell, has anyone got a fork, for this humble pie I'm about to eat?

Oh deary me, the sellers got in touch today, and described the correct way to calibrate it. 

the instructions  (yes I did read them), says to put the wand in the solution and wait for a minute, then place the magnet close to the stick.

So where would you place it? 

the tip, yes?

oh nooooooo, they mean to place it on the yellow panel where the flashing lights are. So I did this, and lo and behold, the fucker works after all.

Sorry to the poor Chinese workers slaving away in some factory for about 2 quid a day making these, I apologise.

I will keep away from reviewing stuff till I get a response next time. 

Feel a bit of a tit, but FFS anyone would think it should be calibrated at the tip, if it doesn't say, surely?

no? ok then,............ I'm an ass

10 people like this

lol 

1 person likes this

quick update, yes I got it calibrated, but they are still shite.

ordered a bluelab today.

Fed up with this thing. ive put a certain amount of grow into my res which I know from past experience makes up 0.6 EC. Bloody cheapo isn't even registering 0.4EC, its unreliable crap 

I should have done this in the first place - that'll teach me for being a tight arse. I want the bluelab PH meter too, after my cheap yellow number was 2.0 out on its  last calibration.

It will have to wait tho, I'm not bloody made of money you know !

1 person likes this