Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KanedAndUnable

compost decisions, need advice pls

21 posts in this topic

hi guys, back after a couple of years of happy growing (bar the fucking thrips, mites and occasional lockout :eek: :D

anyway, got 8 little ladies in right now, 4L fabric pots and light mix with some light nutes (10ml fish mix, 5ml moonshine and a couple drops of superthrive in 10L, occasionally just water or silicone etc). using 2x 315s in my 1.2x1.2 tent now too. 

now, im going away from normal this time back to 18l plastic pots (fabric pots were a nightmare watering i found and im giving up :eek: ), so also looking at changing up my compost. they have had 5 weeks but are being manifolded to 4/8 tops, so vegging up longer than usual. but planning to go into flower in a week or 10 days once they fill out the pots. they are looking healthy though now and just been moved from under a 250 blue cfl. 

am i better off making a mixture of compost? say lightmix, some worm castings, batmix etc? can you say layer your pots to have more beneficial flowering compost lower down etc? does it work like that? my gut says 'no dont be a twat' bu you never know eh? :) 

ive had issues with lockout in the past so im using a much lower amount of nutes this time, lightmix caught me offguard last time from using plant magic. so basically im looking for a compost for a little bit of vegging then flowering. are biobizz the best option? ive never tried plagron and didnt get on with the canna soil. im tempted to follow the oldtimer allmix and low nutes schedule - does that work out better/cheaper than using lightmix and more nutes?

hit me up gurus, smoke em if you got em. :smoke: 

3 people like this

how the fuck do i remove my sig? its well old :P 

1 person likes this

Well back in the day I had a love/hate relationship All-Mix, but it's what I keep re-ordering! I use it with Root Grow and a handful of worm casings. 

1 person likes this

The yanks like doing that which makes me feel better cause I thought I may have been daft doing this but it works! 

Maybe have a search for "hot soil American cannabis' and I'm sure you'll find something.

I've gone from a potting compost layer or middle bit radiating out to a nitrogen rich multi middle layer and finally a P/K rich last layer.

This was all garden centre stuff not grow shop stuff.

It's worked really well for me in the past.

3 people like this

hi, welcome back . 

what i do is mix my own soil. il buy either bio bizz all mix, prefered. or plagron light mix, both good, but a/mix is the best and has a good amount of feed in for early veg. 

il mix say 80% soil, with 20% canna co co, and a good 3 scoops of bat guano per 11 liter square pot. 

i find that gives the perfect amount of nutes to the plants all through. i just use bio bizz grow/fish mix ,seaweed extract, and plant magic organic oldtimer bloom at 3ml per liter. 

i found the above to be a perfect mix for me. i grow soil/organic also. you dont need the co co, you can just use bat guano into the soil, mix it up well at the last pot up before flowering.

best slow release organic indoor flowering feed i have found so far, but they reck the bats habitat tho to produce the guano.i use vintage bat guano, thats from new zealand i think. they are supposed to just lightly scrape the dryed guano of the floor in the most humane way not to wreck the bats habitat. :unsure:

unsure on that tho. but its good shit anyhow. :yinyang:

2 people like this

I like the H&G batmix the best once they are over 4 weeks old, although to be fair I have never tried allmix.

1 person likes this

most likly in account settings bud:yep:

mix the soil yourself @KanedAndUnable know whats in the soil,rather than reading a label and hoping for the Best.

Earthwormcastings & bark,Kelp & Rock Dust wish id started with just these materials instead of buy bagged mixes or Hocus pocus lotions.

re fabric pots i found they let the soil wick up the water unlike plastic pots which don't absorb anything.A plastic tray is a must, its just getting excess water out that is the fucker

1 person likes this

Nice grow man, would love to see the stages of manifolding and how the plants react. What strains ou running? 

From what I understand layering should be good, I plan to do the same. Would be nice too see what other people think 

2 hours ago, B0bbyBuds said:

Nice grow man, would love to see the stages of manifolding and how the plants react. What strains ou running? 

From what I understand layering should be good, I plan to do the same. Would be nice too see what other people think 

will try and take some pics. they are looking lovely an green so far, but slower vegging under the CFL. 2 weeks under the CMHs will help i hope. 

sig should now say what im growing but if not its this: 

DP Blueberry, Elemental Seeds Mango Tango,  G13 C99, Expert Seeds Gorilla Glue x White Widow, OO Seeds Northern Lights (x2), Greenhouse Seeds GH Cheese, Blimburn Seeds Sweety Auto. one of the NL is a little runty or sativa dom (???) and the BB has a fucked up node structure meaning it will have 7 tops :wallbash: . the gorilla glue is a bit runty too, much smaller than the rest. 

i tend to stick a random auto in now so i have something a couple of weeks early, they are a bit hit and miss i find as i treat them pretty much like a normal plant. they seem to cope being flipped from 18/6 to 12/12 without spazzing out but i obviously didnt manifold this one, just leaving it go. 

the rest will be 8 or 4 tops & manifolded. i have another veg tent so im planning on figuring out some kind of staggering so im taking out one plant each week and putting in a new one. maybe fortnight or month, not worked it out yet. hopefully the auto will come in early to save me and i might force one of the NLs a week earlier into flower, then keep some of the others back until they get bigger. i like the idea of one in one out and cropping a plant every week or 2. so its not overwhelming at once and a week of trimming lol. 

im using this guy's method:

http://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets 

basically ive been lazy and just scraping by each crop so i need to get more yield so im not cropping some buds/plants plants early. my last lot was very underwhelming and my jars arent looking so full :( 

im going to be really anal about this one to make sure everything is perfect, the CMHs provided some lovely terps on the last lot, pity the plants were too fucked to recover fully. and something new to worry about - tent not being warm enough with lights on lol, thats a new one on me! going from a 1100w gavita to these is a crazy difference. these dont even get warm to the touch. (reflectors). 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Percygrower_420 said:

most likly in account settings bud:yep:

mix the soil yourself @KanedAndUnable know whats in the soil,rather than reading a label and hoping for the Best.

Earthwormcastings & bark,Kelp & Rock Dust wish id started with just these materials instead of buy bagged mixes or Hocus pocus lotions.

re fabric pots i found they let the soil wick up the water unlike plastic pots which don't absorb anything.A plastic tray is a must, its just getting excess water out that is the fucker

i dont even know where to get kelp etc from, local hydro store doesnt stock it. this is pretty much what i can get locally:

https://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/potting-soils-and-mixs-61-c.asp

i could do with it all being done next couple of days really so sending off might be an issue. also its a bit dodgy as some arent so sneaky with packaging, had my big fan left at neighbours :wallbash:

yeah, they wick up and get fucked up i think. i added clay balls at the bottom but i still think it fucks the roots a bit. they sit in the salts maybe? 

1 person likes this

12 hours ago, Bird said:

I like the H&G batmix the best once they are over 4 weeks old, although to be fair I have never tried allmix.

what sort of feeds? is that light or hot mix? 

16 hours ago, smokie1 b c f c said:

hi, welcome back . 

what i do is mix my own soil. il buy either bio bizz all mix, prefered. or plagron light mix, both good, but a/mix is the best and has a good amount of feed in for early veg. 

il mix say 80% soil, with 20% canna co co, and a good 3 scoops of bat guano per 11 liter square pot. 

i find that gives the perfect amount of nutes to the plants all through. i just use bio bizz grow/fish mix ,seaweed extract, and plant magic organic oldtimer bloom at 3ml per liter. 

i found the above to be a perfect mix for me. i grow soil/organic also. you dont need the co co, you can just use bat guano into the soil, mix it up well at the last pot up before flowering.

best slow release organic indoor flowering feed i have found so far, but they reck the bats habitat tho to produce the guano.i use vintage bat guano, thats from new zealand i think. they are supposed to just lightly scrape the dryed guano of the floor in the most humane way not to wreck the bats habitat. :unsure:

unsure on that tho. but its good shit anyhow. :yinyang:

awesome. im looking at some Plagron Worm castings too then. i also have some vermiculite, worth throwing some in? 

you seem to use a lot of nutes with allmix? i was only using 4ml with plant magic and still got lockout. i thought allmix would only be 1-2ml? do you use bloom and fixmix? i just used to use OT bloom, wonder if i was just getting N deficiency? 

1 person likes this

hi , yeah get the worm castings good stuff, just mix it in. i have never used vermiculite i have used perlite, at a rate of about 5% to add some air into the pots. most soil has perlite mixed in already. personally i wouldnt use it if using grow shop soil . 

yes i am using allot of nutes in the flowering phase at the moment,as i have 4 gorilla hazes in there and they are hungry buggers, yellowing like mad on 2ml grow and 3ml bloom, into week 5 flower. 

some plants just love lots more food than others i find, more so in soil growing. its the sativa hybrids that eat the feed the most indoors i find. 

i have started giving the fish mix at 2ml per liter instead of the grow as they were still yellowing,eating up all the bottom growth/fan leafs like crazy. 

the kush hybrids i have are loving the 2ml grow, and 3ml bloom. i am in small 6.5 liter square pots tho. so the food in the soil was used up weeks ago,so i am adding more now there into week 5 of flower and are putting on the buds.:yinyang:

yes buddy i use grow and bloom together like you would if using bio bizz grow and bloom. 

i have heard that the p/m oldtimer bloom isnt the same as a few years ago. but unsure on that. you never needed grow in the old bottles of pm organic. but the newer stuff you do. 

43 minutes ago, KanedAndUnable said:

what sort of feeds? is that light or hot mix? 

It's hot but not as much as allmix (I'm told).  It's organic and similar to Plagron batmix but better imo.  Better texture,  less fibre and stuff that wont go through a riddle.

If I'm just buying the one compost I'll get that.  Keep them for 2-3 weeks first in seed compost or light mix if I can.

Edited by Bird
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Bird said:

It's hot but not as much as allmix (I'm told).  It's organic and similar to Plagron batmix but better imo.  Better texture,  less fibre and stuff that wont go through a riddle.

If I'm just buying the one compost I'll get that.  Keep them for 2-3 weeks first in seed compost or light mix if I can.

oh god another product to throw into the list of comparisons lol. :P