Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Absurdist

Looking for good writing about the psychedelic experience

Morning all 

Last year when rummaging around in my freezer I found a bag of dried mushrooms from 2006.

On Friday I consumed them with a few friends and had the most intense experience of my life, total dissolution of the boundary between my body and the rest of the universe, and between my mind and that of my friends.

I wanted to write and record the great insights I was experiencing but couldn't hold a thought long enough to get it down.

So I'm looking for great writing about the psychedelic experience. Stuff like...

The doors of perception - Aldous Huxley

Food of the Gods - Terrence McKenna 

The teachings of don Juan - Carlos Castaneda

What else is out there that I should read?

1 person likes this

Its because your memory is overwhelmed with new types of stimuli and communication between more parts of your memory system. Words especially are a thought layer that seems to take a step back because you're feeling your memories strongly, there is basically no need to talk the phenomenon out and also, you have not created and memorised words that reflect the experiences. This is basically the main block that humans currently face, we over rely on an outward form of communication which is now being used all the time internally, to give a label to specific memories so you can navigate to them quickly which is good when trying to explain parts of your life to others but memory itself works much faster internally without the use of words.

The psychedelic phenomenon is just a good example of it.

apologies. i cant really add to your reading list much. Perhaps read rick strassmans book about dmt, the spirit molecule.

Edited by FunkyJazzJesus
3 people like this

Really glad to hear you had a good experience @Absurdist

Psychedelic drugs can be amongst the best and most memorable experiences a human being can have, when used responsibly that is

There has been a lot written about the subject in the last 50 years, each person and experience is very different so what you find interesting will vary to what another person finds interesting. I liked the Tao of Physics because my experiences left me in awe of the universe and I am a science man at heart what you like will be different

Timothy Leary wrote a lot and Stainslav Grof has written some great stuff (he is a legend)

For me though Youtube lectures are better than reading, they both have their place for sure but you should absolutely check out Alan Watts

I started a thread lol

Terrence Mckenna is good too but IMO 'big Al' is way better he just covers so much ground

When you say that you felt the dissolution between your body and the universe you have struck a chord with me, Alan Watts will help as he talks about it so much, you're it and its you there are no external things all is one. Its a shame it takes psychedelics for most people to realise (me included) its fukin obvious

I would love to hear a more detailed trip report as I am sure others would, it will also help you gather your thoughts and make more sense of the trip

:yinyang:

4 people like this

I'd echo Davy Jones, Alan Watts was the man (and I wouldn't bother with Carlos Castaneda, the bloke was a charlatan). Love Terence McKenna's stuff too.

The full-on ego death, at one with the universe psychedelic experience is without question the best of all 'drug' experiences (of pretty much all experiences lol ), smack and crack don't even come close to a proper peak hallucinogen experience. Shame my head is broken and I just can't risk hallucinogens nowadays :sadwalk: but fortunately I did more than my fair share before my head fell apart lol (and my head falling apart had nothing to do with my use of hallucinogens, if anything they kept me sane far longer than I would have been without them).

Edited by Boojum
4 people like this

its hard to put experiences like acid into words isn't it , I like some of the old youtube vids when they did like 'interview experiments' ..., 

on a slightly different trajectory but relevant I think , are the philosophical musings of Emmanuel Kant , and Arthur Schopenhauer , the theories of 'the will' or some would say the ego have a direct correlation with the transcendental state .. , they talk of 'turning off' our perception as it is , or 'suspending the will' ... all sounds a bit far out I know, but it is a sort of explanation of perception and what happens , or even if you can 'suspend' it 

2 people like this

theres some cool stuff on the web like erowid and deoxy.org

Tikal and pihkal (Shulgins)  - wonderful trip reports and details of synthesis.

Botany and chemistry of the hallucinogens (Even Sultz & Hoffman)

The peyote cult (western le barre)

One River (wade davis)

....fucks sake. Work calls. Might be back with more. Forgive lack of comment. :)

3 people like this

oh, one  2 more. 'Psychedelic Shamanism' by jim de corn.

It's got some total wank in from my perspective,  and fallacies on what some of the actual active alkaloids in a given plants extract are, but it seems to float  the boat of some *shrug*

Trout's notes....

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
fishy
1 person likes this

Death to the edit time limit (you're suppose to have strong opinions on everything these days, don't you know :smoke:)

Aww. Thanks for the excuse to look at my old books OP, but I'll save the misty eyed memories and just link you to a list. I also tend to be biased towards more factual rather than philosophical interpretation, so it'll give you a better idea of the range of thought.

Good luck making sense of it all, It's quite a ride. 

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/ethnobotany

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

It's quite a ride. 

Its the ride!

Interested in what you mean about factual and not philosophical interpretation

?

Psychedelics for me are basically canned philosophy just add water, I have done science to death and it cant explain a fraction of it. All that brain receptor science is really clever but it tells us fuk all and in lots of cases its extremely dubious. Science still hasnt worked out how acid even works, how the mass of about half a grain of sand can have such a profound effect on a human being is remarkable

1 person likes this

Hi Davey.

Yeah, that could be interpreted as a judgement.  Bad term, but I'm full of snot so hope you'll forgive If I don't search for another one too hard as it wasn't meant bad... 'empirical'? It's not a main area of interest for me any more either, although was previously (90's, mainly) hence me sharing the book titles. :)

1 person likes this