Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Slugums

Worst looking plant...

23 posts in this topic

Really need some advice...

Since Friday or Saturday this #1 has been looking very dodgy indeed...

The grow is in coco using ionic nutes; the plant is under 150watt HPS and the lights are around 1ft above the canopy.

So, everything was going well after this plant recovered from what seemed to be nute burn very early on - details in my diary - I flushed and it picked up well. Then, on Friday, I noticed that new growth was small and tight - new leaves were coming in very small and not growing out to the size of the old leaves. Then the old leaves began to yellow from the bottom of the plant up... Two leaves have also shown some spotting... Maybe paranoia, but I'm seeing multiple deficiencies in this plant and that leads me to think its perhaps an environmental issue...

Temps have been reasonable - never falls below 22 lights off (av temp 24 lights off) though it has been getting a bit hot during lights on, though not more than 30c. Feed is 0.8ec...

Thoughts: it may be calcium deficient - I'd been messing around uping and downing the ec on pre-made feed for a few days, though I did not add additional calmag. I changed to a better regulated feeding regime, though I cannot get my temps to settle into a more reliable and consistent 26c lights on...

large.Skunk1_sick.jpglarge.Skunk1_sick_2.jpg

Very many thanks for any insights, suggestions (aside from binning it - I'd like to save it if I can)!

Cheers!

Hi @Slugums   what size pot? looks like you've flushed the feed out and its nitro deficient. give it a ml of grow.

1 person likes this

ah. your in coco, it doesn't hold feed at all and drains quick. I had probs with coco with feed. 

1 person likes this

Hi @bluntz27

Thanks mate!

Yup! Its in coco - I flushed this plant after it got what appeared to be slight nute burn... last two litres of the flush was at ec0.5 - so a bit light - but then watered back in at 0.6 - I've up'd to 0.8 two days ago, just as I saw the spotting and yellowing get worse... So far it hasn't helped, which makes me worry about a lock-out...

I'll see how it looks when lights go on and might well throw it a higher feed - at this point, its certainly worth a try...

Dude! This grow has me eyeing up soil/compost everytime I'm near a garden centre!!

Cheers!

:yep:

Edit:

Its in a 3lt pot at present - started in 0.5lt - plan was/is to go up to 6lt and flower - not huge, small space though! Might push 11lt if time allows and this lives!

Edited by Slugums
1 person likes this

Looks like an overwatering issue to me. Let the pot get light but not dry before you water again. Could also be a cold root zone or off ph ? Make sure it’s warm enough through your light off period 

1 person likes this

mate I just use clover compost its mainly peat. Works a treat. Good luck mate. if you haven't got space try dinafems autos, think they do a skunk one. if not they do critical and cheese  in auto form which is skunk geno.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, OddNut said:

Looks like an overwatering issue to me. Let the pot get light but not dry before you water again. Could also be a cold root zone or off ph ? Make sure it’s warm enough through your light off period 

@OddNut

Thanks, very much appreciated!

I had wondered about over-watering - didn't think I could do that in coco; I feed a daily 1/4lt and leave the pot to drip for 20mins. After that I don't get any more run off - using different coco this time though... so, its not impossible its holding more than the old stuff...

Temps are, if anything, quite high - though I will stick a probe in and pay closer attention to lights off temps on the next turn.

PH is good and stable...

Stumped!! So, I guess the plan is to either up the feed or leave it without watering for a day - one thing at a time. I'll definitely get a probe in as close the the middle of the pot as I can without damaging the roots - its not rooted the pot out yet, so, fingers crossed I'll manage. Won't do any harm to check the ph in the run-off too...

Cheers and many thanks!

27 minutes ago, bluntz27 said:

mate I just use clover compost its mainly peat. Works a treat. Good luck mate. if you haven't got space try dinafems autos, think they do a skunk one. if not they do critical and cheese  in auto form which is skunk geno.

Thanks again mate! I might well give that a try next run, which might not be so far off!! I've been thinking about a compost grow for a while now - coco keeps me stuck to the house for feeding. Space isn't so bad with a bit of LST, but I've also been meaning to check out dinafems seeds anyways, so thanks for the heads up and these suggestions! I'll give them a look...

Thanks!

1 person likes this

No problem chap, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. 

A lot of people have been led to believe that coco can’t be over Watered, this stands true for a well rooted out pot but when plants are small and don’t have a big root mass it’s very easy to find yourself with overwatering problems especially if the plant is in to bigger pot. 

Bit it of a process of elimination,  I’d try the easy to check things first like ph cold roots ect .. I’d only up feed when I was sure it wasn’t the other factors :) 

ive certainly pulled a plants in a lot worse state round 

out of interest what’s the ec of your tap water ? 

2 people like this

Hi @OddNut

Cheers mate... yep... I reckon tonight the lil'un goes hungry, should pick up by tomorrow if its waterlogged... I'm swaying to this side after popping it out just after lights on tonight, roots could be whiter, the base a little drier. If that doesn't work, then I'll feed it up and throw caution to the wind - after monitoring roots at lights out.

Tap water isn't bad, its around ec0.2... I've been factoring that in to the feed level, but now think I recall being advised that I should only factor half of that in!

On the plus side, a seedling went into the tent a couple of days ago and its doing really well so far - still in its 0.5lt pot... Leads me to think the temps are within the OK region, but the bigger pot with standing water could easily chill below the smaller one, so, I'll be keeping my eye on the #1 here.

Cheers and thanks... good to know its not done for just yet!

1 person likes this

@Slugums  I would personally pot up in soil 11lt at most and tie main stem over 90deg. for space saving, sorry just suggestion. :hippy:

Look blackpoolbouncers diary up, (dinafem discovery subsequent delight.) helped me a lot. Good luck!!

2 people like this

43 minutes ago, bluntz27 said:

@Slugums  I would personally pot up in soil 11lt at most and tie main stem over 90deg. for space saving, sorry just suggestion. :hippy:

Look blackpoolbouncers diary up, (dinafem discovery subsequent delight.) helped me a lot. Good luck!!

Cheers!! So tempting to transfer to soil, but so nervy - I guess once the roots have pushed out into the new medium... I'll think about that! Do you know of any issues that a mixed medium might have - It'd be 50/50 coco/soil if I pot up to 6lt...

:yep: Yup! Spot on mate!! Me too... that's exactly what I do to start LST - main stem goes horizontal, then anything with any potential gets tied off to the sides to widen the canopy and seperate bud sites for light penetration...

With a small space, I try to avoid going as big as 11lt, I aim for 6lt to finish with two plants - it has, so far, produced enough for me so that I only grow twice a year. But I have a couple of 11lt pots on stand by and had to pot up to that on my last grow...

These kinda problems, which seem to dog me, are why I avoid autos... that said, I'll certainly give blackpoolbouncers diaries a look with an eye to my next grow - maybe my coco days are coming to an end and I need to give soil a shot - I'm currently growing basil in soil to get a rough feel for the medium/watering etc.

Much appreciate the input and suggestions @bluntz27 Thanks!

2 people like this

No probs at all @Slugums.

I have been doing dinafem autos for 2 years now and love em, I just do 1 blue kush auto every grow and get 3 oz every 70 days.:toldya: Get clover compost online  for £12 75ltrs. ) 0.5 lt pot to start for 12days then 11ltrs for 60days on wet/dry cycle.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, bluntz27 said:

No probs at all @Slugums.

I have been doing dinafem autos for 2 years now and love em, I just do 1 blue kush auto every grow and get 3 oz every 70 days.:toldya: Get clover compost online  for £12 75ltrs. ) 0.5 lt pot to start for 12days then 11ltrs for 60days on wet/dry cycle.

Damn mate!! I may well be sold on this for next time... 3oz every 70 days sounds very nice :g:... I'm definitely going to give soil growing a shot - I find the daily coco regime a wee bit much.

1 person likes this

So, update on the problem... with lots of dirty photos!

After checking the roots last night, I decided to let the #1 have a night off from feed... No change this morning, looked the same only a little more limp in the upper leaves. When lights came on this evening, nothing had changed...

So, I decided to up the feed a little and give it a nice dose of calmag - feed went in ec09 and run-off read ec0.7.

I removed the damaged leaves, which look like this...

large.under_1.jpg

No real signs of damage under the leaf and no sign of thrips (nt 100% ruled out though), the little black marks in the photos is coco from my mucky paws... Close-ups show no obvious (to my eyes) signs of damage apart from the upper leaf damage shining through...

large.under_2.jpglarge.Under_close.jpg

large.top_4.jpg

Above is the worst affected leaf - the marking on the underside here is shining through from the top.

The tops of the leaves are a different story... I'd wondered if I might have splashed water on a couple, but that doesn't account for the rest of the damage and the yellowing... Again, the little black marks are coco...

large.top_1.jpglarge.Top_5.jpglarge.top_3.jpglarge.top_2.jpg

large.Top_6.jpg

This is probably the clearest image of the kind of marking the damage is leaving... The little black marks are coco....

Well, all the damaged leaves have been stripped and the #1 is looking a little sorry for itself...

Hopefully a bit of a feed up and calmag tonight will show improvement tomorrow...

Lil'Elvis is thumping along and looking pretty hardcore next to this poor thing!

Cheers!!

1 person likes this