Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

starbud

315w is it really comparable to...

49 posts in this topic

a 600w grow light?

Im only asking as I dont really see it to be fair.

I grow (or have grown) with all manner of lights, but not CMH, I use CFL for veg only as the buddage is a bit light any airier than HPS, even when you pound the plants with lumens...

I would assume the same principal with CMH, but stand ready to be corrected...

Surly the 315w would have the same efrect as CFL lumenwise? After all I understand the 'closer to daylight' spctrums etc. The same can be said the for PAR of CFL on paper, but you just need the light, its pretty much as simple as that.

WE tried sulphur plasma for a while as well, the bit I still dont get is; if the light is so close to daylight, then are there two bulbs needed again?...Surely if it was 'that close' then one bulb would suffice, after all its not like the sun changes bulb, it just gets either closer or further from the equator...

I would have thought that the PAR of the CMH would make up, at best, the odd 85w to equal a 400w HID - but taking that to a 600w HID comparrisson makes me dubious... after nearly 30 years of cannabis cultivation I have seen and grown with many things but I aint never seen a light that performs equally to a light twice its lumencount.

I like to big up my grow style as much as the next man, thats why, like everyoine else, Im posting here - but really? 315 is the new 600? - Spock with a beard? ! think not.

Edited by starbud
spelling

I've been out of growing for a while, I've been reading about all the new kit, from what I gather 315w cmh is roughly equal to 500w HPS. I quite fancy one to supplement me 600w. The sun does sort of change bulb, the light hitting the Earth in spring is bluer than that which hits in autumn due to the atmosphere acting sort of like a prism. 

1 person likes this

There's a thread here mate don't know if you've seen it.

Not made my mind up. It keeps popping up on my unread content since about page 5 so I got a lot of catching up to do lol Plus I got my equipment and only just bought a couple of digi ballasts. Don't know if they can be used in some way but I got enough equipment now I don't really need anymore. Like you say though its a numbers game isn't it.

1 person likes this

imo, a 315w CMH is the equivilant of a 400w HPS, not a 600w hps.

as for what ballasts to use, you need a dedicated CMH ballast as it runs at a different frequency to a HPS ballast which wont run a CMH lamp.

7 people like this

Yeah there's no way it's gonna match a 600 W Sodium for yield, just aint gonna happen ;) but they look decent tbh 

2 people like this

Not a hope in hell. A 600w HPS is always going to produce more buds than a 315w CMH. If mass and yield is your game.

But if you compare the 630w of CMH to 600w of HPS then there is no comparison. My PC draws 550w all day. 30w is nothing, its hardly even worth mentioning, maybe £10 extra a YEAR lol 

And although the initial price is quite a sting, I would choose a second hand CMH setup over a brand new HPS setup if I was on a budget. I've not got a great deal of experience personally yet in CMH, only one grow just down. But the social circle has been testing them for the last year or so and I have smoked plenty. Plus my most recent grow is a resin show.

CMH is worth a try 100%. 

5 people like this

I thought as much to be honest. Like you lot I have almost every imaginable ballast/bulb/shade you can buy except the 1k versions as I have never needed to grow that much or that big, to be honest for the 200w diff, dual 600w smashes it all day long...and Ive done that in the past, just to flower off some extra girls, its not regular, although the yields would be a convincer...

I get a resin show from my 250w CFL mini grow in coco, thats the PAR, not the lumens that do that, because pro rata, I get more resin from the CFL than the HPS, I marginally increase that at the end of a grow by bringing the MH back in for the last 2 weeks or so, as well as dropping the temps and raising them again to increase resin further. I have also been know to snap a few mainstems with just a few days to go, that ads heaps of resin, likwise a rusty nail through the stem does too...but this ius about light, not abuse...

All my growing is personal, I dont do anything for anyone except me, so yield is never a concern. Sometimes i grow just 1 or two plants under the 400w, sometimes up to 9, it depends what Im feeling and what I got going. The yields go up/down as necessary, but its never a factor, its my hobby and all my weed ^^

General consensus seems to be positive, then again it was for sulphur plasma, but you need yields for that price of light.

The consensus also appears to be ehat I thought, not much of a lumen consideration, more of a quality issue, then in that case, why dont we all just use big CFLs? Because yopu can bet the PAR for those is as close as the CMH, if no closer, and at a fraction of the cost...

Thanks for the infor and opinion guys, superb. Im not about to go and spend that amount to just get what I have. It always pays to see whats what and I have no doubt a room full of the 315s would out grow a room fulL of HPS, but im just running 1 or 2 lights maybe, not more, where i believe the benefit to genuinely lie.

2 people like this

I know it's not about lumens it's about Par or Micromoles or something, but I thought the reason the CMH was so much better for resin production was that they give off some UV light as well as more Par or micromoles?

@GreenVision I don't think your PC draws 550w all day - unless you have a really hungry CPU and GPU and run them at 100% all day. At idle or light use, I think it's more like 100w.

1 person likes this

On 10/13/2017 at 11:55 AM, starbud said:

The consensus also appears to be ehat I thought, not much of a lumen consideration, more of a quality issue, then in that case, why dont we all just use big CFLs? Because yopu can bet the PAR for those is as close as the CMH, if no closer, and at a fraction of the cost...

2 x 315w is more efficient than a 600w hps, 600w of CFL is not as good as HPS. A CMH is definitely not the same thing as a CFL. 

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, ananda said:

I know it's not about lumens it's about Par or Micromoles or something, but I thought the reason the CMH was so much better for resin production was that they give off some UV light as well as more Par or micromoles?

@GreenVision I don't think your PC draws 550w all day - unless you have a really hungry CPU and GPU and run them at 100% all day. At idle or light use, I think it's more like 100w.

Your 100% correct mate, but I do have a hungry CPU, and my graphics card is pumping me The Division many hours a day, plus it has some fancy lights. :ohmygod:

2 people like this

40 minutes ago, Golden Syrup said:

2 x 315w is more efficient than a 600w hps, 600w of CFL is not as good as HPS. A CMH is definitely not the same thing as a CFL. 

Yes agreed, also 2 x 600w is more efficient that a 1k light...which is almost the same equasion. When you say efficient, what do you mean exactly? I  know CMH isnt the same thing as CFL, I was referring to PAR/light quality, as in reality both are better, on paper, than HID...and do you know the PAR of CMH Vs CFL? lol - before this gets silly, as much as im interested i do have 'tongue firmly in cheek'!

..In reality, a 600w is the most efficient bulb to grow with for hobbyits as the heat to lumen count is superbly efficient by comparrisson. so I read over and over, but to be fair, I have equal results from a 400w to a 600w, within a few gramms, but Im not growing for yield in any case.

Most of this is down to grow skill in all reality, I dont think if you gave me the equivalent wattage that I have in CmH the results would jump out at me especially. There may be a quality improvement, but probably not by much, if anything. I would do a blind test with anyone to tell the buds apart, especially if it was coco, howwever if 1 was in soil, with the CMH, then the daylight PAR may make a difference, mainly flavonid/terpene as opposed to any discernable density or weight...All this is just my educated guess opinion of course, I am by no means knowledgeable about it technically, but its all only opinion anyway, one man may smash it, while another fails...

@GreenVision I think if you smoke around your PC, it will be drawing more than the 550, probably 15/20% more as the fans will be coated in resin and the dust from combustion with insulate your heatsinks making the fans run harder and faster for longer..550 might be...conservative.

Edited by starbud

No is the answer

Cmh do certainly look brilliant in results mind. 

How long till hps is obsolete I wonder? 

The futures bright! Pintended 

Seen this question asked all over the us forums and seem loads claiming the 315 crushes the 600w hps

They are full of shit.

for a start the 315 doesn't penetrate as deep as a 600. Neither does it cover as much area.

i grow with both and while the 315 has some benifits over the 600 (mainly faster finishing plants and a gpw being easier to obtain), when it comes down to yeild the 600 always produces at least 50% more yeild.

pepole do say the smoke is better from the cmh I personally have noticed no difference.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, GreenVision said:

Your 100% correct mate, but I do have a hungry CPU, and my graphics card is pumping me The Division many hours a day, plus it has some fancy lights. :ohmygod:

lol I dread to think what mine use's, my cpu, graphic's card & 5TB of storage  lol

1 person likes this