Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

bobbles

Bread making in UK

97 posts in this topic

Most bread manufactured in this country is made using a method called the 'Chorleywood Process' (CWP). First developed in the early 1960s, the CWP has reduced a major staple food of the UK to a tasteless pap that has more additives in it than are declared on the packaging, some of which are of untraceable provenance (through the pooling process of emzyme developer's resourcing methods) and others that are deemed to have been 'consumed' in the chemical intensive bread making process.

The rise of the CWP has coincided with the rise of a number of digestive problems being diagnosed up and down the country (including Coeliac Disease and wheat intolerance).

I recommend that as many people as possible bake their own. I started making my own a few years ago and would say that it has markedly increased the quality of my, and my family's lives.

As a result of CWP, bread in the UK is among the cheapest  available in Europe but bread consumption in the UK is also among the lowest in the UK. Isn't there a lesson to be learnt here?

4 people like this

The only bread I make from scratch is Pizza dough but I agree bud, the shite you're served via 'the food chain' is shite indeed.

oh how i miss the smell and taste of home made bread,are the all in 1 packets of bake your own bread you get in tescunts  any good?

Don't know. Never tried them.

I make my own and the effort that goes into it is worth it. You imply that you grew up with home made bread. Most people I know had never tasted home made bread until I let them have some of mine. They believed that bread was a tasteless thing that gave you indigestion and that you ate because it was there.

You are a very lucky person @monster69. Bake a loaf and relive your youth  -  You have nothing to lose except your stomach ache.

1 person likes this

I don't eat bread myself, but I do chuck all the ingredients in my bread maker and make loaves for the kids and husband. Set the timer correctly and on a Sunday morning we wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the house... and a hungry looking family. I know it's cheating but it's a happy middle ground 

3 people like this

@bobbles it used to be the highlight of the weekend when i was a little kid,staying at grannies and the smell of her baking bread 

oh and we used to make toast over the fire they were the days early 70s

3 hours ago, Kiminal said:

I don't eat bread myself, but I do chuck all the ingredients in my bread maker and make loaves for the kids and husband. Set the timer correctly and on a Sunday morning we wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread throughout the house... and a hungry looking family. I know it's cheating but it's a happy middle ground 

I cheat slightly less by letting the bread machine do the mixing and kneading then I chop it up into small round pieces that I shape and prove into barms (that's bread rolls for anyone from down south ) 

3 people like this

I kept a sourdough culture alive for over a year and made many loaves during that time.  I caught my wild yeast from under a pear tree.   Good sour dough is hard to beat......

5 people like this

we literally just switched to home baked bread as of last Friday. burger baps are in the oven as we type. if only more of us knew how simple it is to do, and also much more healthy - zero sugar, 90% less salt, zero additives or preservatives etc. 

5 people like this

Any stale homemade bread gets crumbed and frozen, or made into croutons or very occasionally a bread and butter pudding. I have to admit, I will eat bread if it's been cooked in a custard, or fried. 

The family's favourite bread is sundried tomato and Parmesan. When that's going a bit stale we toast it and spread with butter. The Parmesan kind of remelts and bubbles while it toasts, highly recommended by my kids - Served in doorstop wedges with beans or scrambled egg. 

I'm bloody starving. 

6 people like this

I have been baking bread for 10 years+ Could never go back to the cardboard that passes for commercial bread. Everybody likes my bread!

The secret ingredient is olive oil.

If you're baking loaves, high sided tins are worth investing in to avoid bubbling over grief.

3 people like this

Olive oil makes a more elastic kinda dough man, more like pizza.. sort of denser, for me anyway.

Making bread is an art and warm bread 20 mins out of the oven is one of those little joys of life. Like a luxury. I get this loaf from Tescos called mediteranian. It's got all herbs and stuff in it. About an hour ago I went and got loads of itallian type herbs. I'm gonna grow some of them and see what mediteranian bread I can make. That's my next thing with bread. I do everything by hand. That way isn't so easy. It's like a 2 hour wait and maybe half hour of physical labor for a loaf of bread.

Cakes are good to cook as well. They're easier than bread. I got some fillet steak in the fridge... I know I've got yeast and flour. I wonder how I could get that meat in a loaf of bread lol That's like a 15 quid loaf of bread. I'm tempted.. that bread with butter and mustard honey sauce... Fillet steak bread. I've never heard of that before. I think I might have to make that.

1 person likes this

Wow @Phoenix you are seriously hard core. I don't know how to find yeast in the wild, never mind keep it alive for over a year. I'll look into that.

To those who use a bread maker, it is not 'cheating'. You lose out on fine tuning your dough as you knead it and having more control over the whole process, but you are getting away from the cold clammy chemical-fest that is supermarket (and most 'bakeries') bread. That's a huge plus for your health and quality of life.

Spread the word.

1 person likes this

Thanks @bobbles I'm no stranger to the kitchen.   Wild yeast is everywhere virtually give it a Google.    It's not difficult to create a starter culture.

;)

2 people like this

If you manage that @Blayz'd I really want to know how.

I done bread with chocolate (my wife's idea), fruits, cheeses, and herbs. I've even done a cheese loaf in the shape of a giant cock (I know its pretty tacky but it made my wife laugh). - .. but never done a loaf with fillet steak.

Good luck

1 person likes this