Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreenVision

RO systems for Hydro.

Hi. Is there a particular brand of Reverse Osmosis system I should be looking at, or any I should avoid?

Also, a quick question about using RO water. It might seem obvious but its always best to ask... I'm in a hard water area, but once I start using RO water would I then need to start using soft water nutrients as I'm filtering out a lot of EC from the water? 

Cheers.

GV.

1 person likes this

Soft water nutrients and calmag. Really don't see what benefit RO water is going to give you to be honest. Most people using RO system use 1/2 RO and 1/2 Tap.

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, tokenroll said:

Soft water nutrients and calmag. Really don't see what benefit RO water is going to give you to be honest. Most people using RO system use 1/2 RO and 1/2 Tap.

An EC meter although a great tool isn't spot on perfect. I might be getting a an EC reading of 0.7 out of my tap, but there is very very little Nitrogen in this. And the Hydro nutrients a balanced mix of minerals. 

So when I add my nutrients and bring my EC up to 1.0 for example my level of nitrogen in the water is too low. The PPM could be less than the plant wants, in particular in the veg stages.

But if I remove the excessive P,K Cal and Mag from the water and then add it myself at more efficient levels I think I will get a healthier crop. I am mixing up the water anyway, it really makes no difference to the job at hand. Just gives me a better control over what is in my water. 

Plus I am interested to see if flushing in RO water makes any difference to the plants usage of excess nutrients.

2 people like this

I have a 100gph 5 stage ro unit for my marine tank and discus tanks.

Any 3 stage will do you but be aware it will push double if not triple the waste water out to product water so a drain is required or collect it.

YOU won't need di resin or nothing like that either tbf so could just run ptfe membrane and carbon.

Most of them come on john guest fittings when it might be worth getting a inline tds meter as they are not megabucks and can check when membrane and carbon need changing.

Tried the growth technology one 15 years plus ago ?

Filters do not last that long ..plus my cuttings tended to be brittle  ..also most nutrients at the time ( perhaps still now ) were not formulated to RO and caused other issues as mentioned by @tokenroll

May be better now ?

Love

Arthur