Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

danlilker

Using organic soil to grow plants in a growbox setting

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dear all,

i am writing here hoping it's the right forum. 

I have some questions/doubts. Hope you can help me clarify them.

So i want to grow plants (in a grow tent) using artificial lights. I want to do this because i want to produce seeds.

I prefer organic soil and was wondering if i can use organic soil to fill my pots. I am worried that if i use organic soil (peat+compost etc) i will get insects(etc) infestation in the grow tent.

I read somewhere that, to avoid this, i could "bake" a bit the soil before filling the pots so as to avoid the proliferation of insects, predators and little creatures detrimental to the plants.

In no way i want to use neither chemicals nor similar products (soil improvers and such). I just wanna use organic soil . But if you say that it would be safer to add some product to the soil, in order to avoid insects/bugs proliferation, i will happily buy and add it to the soil (preferably of organic origins).

Do you think i can be successful using just organic soil? Also, do you think i should bake it  abit beforehand?

Any tip/suggestion is greatly apppreciated as i am a total beginner when it comes to artificial settings.

Thank you for your help

Dan Lilker

p.s.

How many (roughly) seeds can a female plant produce if left in the grow tent with her "lover"?

Edited by danlilker

Posted (edited)

Mate when you say organic soil do you mean soil from outside? garden field ect?

a female would produce hundreds if not thousands of seeds mate

Edited by Jimboo
1 person likes this

The advantage of using "organic" soil is that it is filled with lots of life that is beneficial to the soil. Baking it in the oven will kill the insects off as well as all the beneficial life in your soil.

If you want to go fully organic, then bugs are just a part of that imo.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

very quick back of an envelope answer I need to go out to replenish my caffeine supplies ,When you feed organic food to a plant ,you are not feeding the plant directly you are feeding the micro herd (millions of little micro organisms living in the soil) if you bake your soil you are not only killing any unwanted pests you are killing the micro herd ,and end up with basically a sterile soil,

Edited by Jimboo
3 people like this

If your scared of using homeade and bringing in insects/bugs, buy plagron (as organic as commercial compost can be) light mix and batmix, start in light mix then pot up into a mix of light and bat mix..best combination around in my experience, bat shit gives you wings. Save yourself a shit load of hassle if your not used to indoor growing.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Jimboo said:

Mate when you say organic soil do you mean soil from outside? garden field ect?

a female would produce hundreds if not thousands of seeds mate

Hello Jimboo. Yes , by organic i mean natural soil that i would buy from a gardener (not in bags). I have used this soil in the past nad i know for sure that it has some goat dung in it and also palm ashes.  Good to know that a female can produce up to a thousand of seeds as it is my goal to produce as many as possible, I was thinking of using a Viparspectra 300W LED lamp to grow 2 to max 4 plants (2 boys and 2 girls). Do you think it will be enough for what i want to do? I don't care about the buds. Thank you for your answer

7 hours ago, Jimboo said:

very quick back of an envelope answer I need to go out to replenish my caffeine supplies ,When you feed organic food to a plant ,you are not feeding the plant directly you are feeding the micro herd (millions of little micro organisms living in the soil) if you bake your soil you are not only killing any unwanted pests you are killing the micro herd ,and end up with basically a sterile soil,

thank you very much for this. I will definitely not bake the soil then :)

5 hours ago, Pot Committed said:

If your scared of using homeade and bringing in insects/bugs, buy plagron (as organic as commercial compost can be) light mix and batmix, start in light mix then pot up into a mix of light and bat mix..best combination around in my experience, bat shit gives you wings. Save yourself a shit load of hassle if your not used to indoor growing.

thank you buddy but where i live there's no shop selling plagron products and can't receive them via post. I hae, though, bought in the past Guano Kalong products (bat guano for growing and palm ashes for flowering) will add those instead to the soil i will by from a local gardener. Thank you for the tip though! Much appreciated.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, danlilker said:

thank you buddy but where i live there's no shop selling plagron products and can't receive them via post. I hae, though, bought in the past Guano Kalong products (bat guano for growing and palm ashes for flowering) will add those instead to the soil i will by from a local gardener. Thank you for the tip though! Much appreciated.

Mate you don't necessarily need to use that specific brand of compost if you look around you might find another brand

37 minutes ago, danlilker said:

300W LED lamp to grow 2 to max 4 plants (2 boys and 2 girls). Do you think it will be enough for what i want to do? I don't care about the buds. Thank you for your answer

mate, I'm not up to speed on Led lamps yet I'm still using HPS, I'm sure someone will be along to advise you on that, As long as you have healthy plants and let mother nature do her thing, I'm sure you will have more seeds than you expected good luck:hippy:

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Jimboo said:

Mate you don't necessarily need to use that specific brand of compost if you look around you might find another brand

mate, I'm not up to speed on Led lamps yet I'm still using HPS, I'm sure someone will be along to advise you on that, As long as you have healthy plants and let mother nature do her thing, I'm sure you will have more seeds than you expected good luck:hippy:

Thanks. How about if i used HPS  light (300W) will they be enough for 2 boys and 2 girls to achieve my goal? (1m x 1m x 2m) the grow box. 

1 minute ago, danlilker said:

Thanks. How about if i used HPS  light (300W) will they be enough for 2 boys and 2 girls to achieve my goal? (1m x 1m x 2m) the grow box. 

No mate you just go ahead with your plans, like I said someone will be along to advise you about your LED choice.Don't forget mate after the males have spread their pollen you don't need them anymore and can be removed from your tent freeing up more space

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Jimboo said:

No mate you just go ahead with your plans, like I said someone will be along to advise you about your LED choice.Don't forget mate after the males have spread their pollen you don't need them anymore and can be removed from your tent freeing up more space

Cool! i didn't know i could get rid of the males after they have spread their pollen. Always god to ask. I learn a lot :) Cheers mate!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, danlilker said:

Hello Jimboo. Yes , by organic i mean natural soil that i would buy from a gardener (not in bags). I have used this soil in the past nad i know for sure that it has some goat dung in it and also palm ashes.  Good to know that a female can produce up to a thousand of seeds as it is my goal to produce as many as possible, I was thinking of using a Viparspectra 300W LED lamp to grow 2 to max 4 plants (2 boys and 2 girls). Do you think it will be enough for what i want to do? I don't care about the buds. Thank you for your answer

I have a viparspectra 450W and I use it in conjunction with a different 450w LED, giving a total of 455 real watts. I use these in a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent and that is still not enough. What you have in mind though is very different. 

I don't know the footprint for the 300w, but I imagine it's pretty small, but if you are only interested in amassing seeds, then I would imagine it would be ok for two small plants. If you tried to grow more I imagine you would suffer from very poor light penetration resulting in the lower buds not ripening properly. Also, it depends on your growing style. I would strongly recommend either a scrog or heavy LST. This way you open up all the bud sites.

Edited by GreengoStarr
1 person likes this

imagine you would suffer from very poor light penetration resulting in the lower buds not ripening properly

@GreengoStarr I suppose he could harvest in stages mate , Take the top colas and let the lower branches have more time and exposure 

2 people like this