Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sterling-archer

Loch trout fishing

19 posts in this topic

Me and the Mrs are off to a Loch soon for some dly fishing ( i taught her to cast and got her a little 6fter)  lol. Im no fly expert as ive dipped in and out of it but last time we were at this place we caught two things... Jack to and shit lol

So what tips can you more experi anglers offer to to help us catch some clever little trout.

Cheers Sterl

1 person likes this

Not my department mate, I'm no fly angler. I doubt I could offer you any advice you don't know already.

I wish you luck though! :yep:

Take a few Mepps spinners I would, if you can't catch on the fly you might pick something up on a Mepps....

3 people like this

Im patiently waiting for Loch Leven to open,start of April,and myself and a couple of mates are goin for an early session.

Early on in the season the trout will likely be feeding quite deep and sinking lines will be the order of the day. One loch in particular used to fish well with leech imitations fished deep

One things for sure..........you wont catch them sittin in the house

Tight lines mucker

4 people like this

Dung flies are one of the earliest hatches so a couple of those might be useful.  Probably worth fishing a team of three with a heavy nymph on the point.

Stick to a single fly on the six footer.

Early season or any time I find things hard going I always have a few tiny black generic looking flies.  Something and nothing I call them.  They increase my confidence when nothing specific is happening.

Regardless, there's nothing nicer than a day on a lough/Loch. 

Tight lines.

4 people like this

Why dry fly ? Duck fly, buzzers might be worth a shot fished wet .You can use a dry fly line if its all you have but there's few trout rising and even when they are they'll still take a sunken fly . Its not common to fish a dry fly in March . 

Some simple spider flies ,nymphs ,good all-round patterns for spring .Depends on the weather Lough and luck . 

2 people like this

I'm not suggesting dries,  maybe a good bushy wake fly on the first dropper,  heavy buzzer/nymph on the point and maybe a pr nymph on the other dropper.

Having said that I often fish dry when no one else is and often when there is no discernible rise and still catch,  but that's just cause I love the dry and mostly fish shallow loughs.

I also am a huge fan of fishing new Zealand style set up with a buzzer suspended off the back of a big sedge pattern or muddler.  Not early season tactics but super exciting and very visual....

2 people like this

@Phoenix. I wasn't suggesting anything ,just replying to the OP. 

2 people like this

@Michael Luchóg no worries,  must have cast over you there. Apologies.  

I do like a sparse spider for early river trout.  Nice mobile hackle and feck all else.  Done me well.  Good shout.

1 person likes this

I was taught as a young kid but am far from good at it.

The person who taught me though was an expert. He brought his stuff for me to try out in out back yard.

I couldn't wait try it and was disappointing at first because he would only allow me to use half the rod. That way it made me use my arm more and my wrist less. His next advice was 10 and 2 oclock to use as a guide on how far to run my arm back and forth. After about 20 mins of playin around and not getting tangled, he let me use the entire outfit. 

I never did get a chance to fish for pike with one....

as for tips on catching?    er AH.   :skin_up:

Edited by gb1

Hello everyone, we didnt get nowt on the Loch. Overfishing makes it harder imho.

I was up Scotland again on the rivers a few weeks ago and it was better but my biggest issue is getting bloody dry flies to stay dry lol Every spray i get always lasts a cast or two only before it fails.So what do you all recommended?

Absolutely beautiful fishing up there. Such amazing rock formations etc and lots of trout although they are smart little cookies. Had a monster rise and literally stop dead once it clocked me lol

Had a nightmare aswell, we put the car window up on our 9fter :( needless to say it broke it in two instantly...

I have never ever ran more than one fly on a line! How do groups cast and do they tangle?

Finally have any of you lot ever tried fly for salmon?  It was 45 quid a day so what the hell do you catch on average to justify that haha?

Hope your all well.

Thanks

Sterl

Edited by sterling-archer
1 person likes this

@Salty was yer man for Salmon (although he often fished worm lol) he's not been around for a while now, I hope he's ok. 

I'm no fly angler so all I can do is wish you luck! :)

A very light coating of Vaseline for the dry flies maybe? Or perhaps that would knit the fibres.....like I said, not a fly angler...:rolleyes:

2 people like this

but my biggest issue is getting bloody dry flies to stay dry  Every spray i get always lasts a cast or two only before it fails.So what do you all recommended?

That could be down to the pattern ,the size of it and it could be the cast . I never fish three dry flies at once but sometimes two .Most often just one ,the right one hopefully ! 

If you can find representations of the flies you need ,tied with CDC ,duck ass feathers ,or deer hair is fairly buoyant. Grease the nylon/flourocarbon with floatant and wipe it clean. Flies tied with nice sprightly hackles float good too but you have to false cast a bit to shake the water off the fly .

I don't fish for salmon much .The last one I caught was on a worm .I lost a few or missed them on the strike so I gave up but I would definitely prefer casting over shy trout ,and fishing places that aren't fished by many or any people . 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

That could be down to the pattern ,the size of it and it could be the cast . I never fish three dry flies at once but sometimes two .Most often just one ,the right one hopefully ! 

If you can find representations of the flies you need ,tied with CDC ,duck ass feathers ,or deer hair is fairly buoyant. Grease the nylon/flourocarbon with floatant and wipe it clean. Flies tied with nice sprightly hackles float good too but you have to false cast a bit to shake the water off the fly .

I don't fish for salmon much .The last one I caught was on a worm .I lost a few or missed them on the strike so I gave up but I would definitely prefer casting over shy trout ,and fishing places that aren't fished by many or any people . 

Is any of the tackle shop sprays any good? 

Gink.

@sterling-archer;

I don't know which brand is best. I use gink on the fly and a wax/mucilin pad on the line. 

1 person likes this