Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Captain Bonglington

Some things I've made from wood.

60 posts in this topic

Thanks alot dude,

i really like the etchings too. Done by painting what you want to keep with nail varnish (actually, i ended up painting all of it, then scratching out the tree etc), then putting in salt water with a 12v current running through it. Really cool process. Loads of different effects can be created with a bit of imagination.

Ha. I've got a few mushrooms lying around too.

I guess if you're chainsawing all day, the last thing you want to do is get your saw out on ya day off. Nice to play with wood in a different way.

That picture frame was a piece of piece. I like larch actually. Can get some lovely bits for nothing. Did you see the wagon i built from scrap?

Google 'Charlie and meg's roundhouse' too mate. You'll be well impressed.

Nice one,

Tigs :guitar:

Edited by tigseyjnr
spelling

3 hours ago, tigseyjnr said:

I cant stop looking at that guitar @stu sleeper 20vt

:in_love:

My bass guiar could do with a new body.. you've got me thinking..

It's not as hard as you'd think lol

Just time and watching lots of YouTube lol

I only made the body,the neck,frets etc was off a cheap busted guitar off off eBay.

A can of I think it was 'candy apple red' spray paint and black for the edges.seven layers of laquar and a few hrs in the shed of an evening.

With the long nights coming go for it!

1 person likes this

Nice one, @stu sleeper 20vt

Definitly goiong to keep an eye out for some nice wood, with this in mind :yep:

I spent a few hours in the shed yesterday and pretty much finished the first of the pair of Oak tables. :) 

It's been a fairly simple but painstaking task, the hardest part being getting the top and bottom as flat as possible.

It's been sanded down to a 400 grit, waxed and polished.I oiled the splits as well with a tiny paintbrush to accentuate them a bit, I need to clean them out a bit with a drill mounted brush and do it again, it's not quite right.

I put some felt pads on the base to prevent it from scratching the floor, it was a bit of a nervous moment bringing it in from the shed and placing it on a properly flat surface, but thankfully it sits flat and doesn't rock! :yahoo:I was huffing and puffing by the time I'd carried it from the shed to the living room, it really is heavy, 50kg minimum I reckon. 

Not the best pieces of photography these, but here it is.... :)

large.59c7eab66f28d_oakblock3.JPG         large.59c7eaabc3432_Oakblock1.JPG

Just got to sort out it's mate now.....:yes:

I bought another piece yesterday, i did photograph it earlier but accidentally deleted them from the SD card just now....It's a similar sized piece of old beam, with a couple of steel straps with bolts down each side, i think it may be from an old lock....it's in a right state, loads of rot, with grass growing out of it, but it could be really cool if i can rescue it. I'll put some pics up tomorrow. :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
10 people like this

Here's the project I said I'd put some pics up of tomorrow about three months ago! :)

I've been working on it on and off for a couple of months, but all told i reckon i put about 30 hours into it, just bimbling along. I finished it this afternoon. :yep:

I started with this. A piece of old oak with some steel on it, found rotting in a field out the back of a reclamation yard. 

I'd love to know it's original purpose, off an old lock perhaps?

I thought it could make a cool coffee table, but it was a bit of a gamble buying it as I didn't know the extent of the rot....If it was right through I wouldn't be able to work with it, but external rot i can remove.

Grass growing from a piece of timber isn't usually a good indicator of quality.....:rofl:

large.Table1.JPG

These pics show the rot.....

large.Table2.JPG

large.Table3.JPG

The first job was to cut off the longer end, and then cut the metalwork back to allow room for the ends of the timber to be sanded down.

A bit of exploratory sanding told me the rot was largely superficial, but quite deep on the one side.

I removed about 3 inches of the rotten side (on the right in the pic above) in the pic above with a chainsaw, then planed it flat. Even then some rot remained, but i decided just to sand it out and have some curvature on the edges for a bit of character and tactileness....as I did this a variety of insects were evacuating their homes. :rofl:

The whole thing was then sanded, and sanded....:sweaty:

To finish it, I smothered it in Danish oil, working it into the splits, then waxed and polished it.

After a bit of deliberation I decided to paint over the original patina on the metalwork to smarten it up a bit.

I ended up with this....apologies for the poor photography, the lighting is shit in my place, I struggled to get a decent shot this evening.

large.Table5.JPG

large.Table6.JPG

It's turned out well i think. Originally i was planning to sell it, but I've spent so long making it I've got attached and I think I'd rather keep it...:rolleyes:

15 people like this

Nice one dude :yep:

dont sell it!! 

1 person likes this

great skills , i wished i was more a hand on type of guy .

i would cut myself before i made anything of use .

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, catfish said:

great skills , i wished i was more a hand on type of guy .

Give it a go dude.

A bit of practice goes a long way.

Tools are essential but you can pick good stuff up at carboots  :yep: 

I've been working with hundreds of people with no practical experience/skills over the last 6 years. Yet to find something they can't pick up (had some hairy chainsaw moments though :doctor:)

this is guy has inspired me, and changed my life.. 

http://www.simondale.net/

Nice one, 

Tigs :guitar:

4 people like this

I wood have a go :)

im staying away from a chainsaw though .

2 people like this

1 hour ago, catfish said:

im staying away from a chainsaw though

Gotta treat them with respect. I reckon we could start a thread for @Captain Bonglington and his injuries :doctor:

Angle grinders are fecking danerous too. They don't turn off when you drop them! Had cutting disks swing past my crotch a couple of times :execute:

1 person likes this

@tigseyjnr, yeah, it does seem a shame to sell it.....:yep:

But in the future I'm considering a small business of some kind, making and selling unique stuff like this. I'm curious as to how much I could sell it for if I'm honest. I'm torn....lol

It's a subjective thing isn't it, to some people it's a lump of old wood, to others it's more than that.

It's the age of this piece that fascinates me. From a bit of ring counting it's about a hundred years old at the time it was felled, but without knowing it's original purpose I've no idea how long ago that was. With a bit of research I might be able to roughly date it from the metalwork.

It does give me a bit of a buzz to think I've preserved something maybe 2/300 years old, that would otherwise be lost, and repurposed it.

I'm not that bad for injuries.... lol I've had a bad run of it of late I'll give you that....lol  I just do silly injuries, friends and colleagues of mine have had much worse. :ouch:

Funny enough I found the cutting of the metalwork the sketchiest bit of that project, sparks bouncing off my face and the angle grinder kicking occasionally....it was tough stuff,  I could've done with a proper two stroke cut saw really, but then again I had to be accurate. Half an hour to cut through each steel strap. lol

Chainsaws really aren't that frightening, as long as you have a little basic knowledge, and protective clothing. It makes me cringe watching old boys use their blunt saw to do a few logs wearing wellies....

@Catfish, give it a go man...start small, and see where you want to go with your crafts. I started on candle holders, piece of piss, take a random lump of wood, sand the hell out of it, drill a hole (or a few holes)  big enough to house a tea light, oil it up to bring the funky graining out and jobs a goodun. :yep:Wood's a wonderful thing, you can make some cool stuff with minimal tools with a bit of imagination. 

5 people like this

28 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Sparks bouncing off my face and the angle grinder kicking occasionally

:yep:  I love it. Never thought I would, but it feels right. 

31 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

But in the future I'm considering a small business of some kind, making and selling unique stuff like this. I'm curious as to how much I could sell it for if I'm honest. I'm torn....

Fair doo's. 

Keep it to build up a small collection. Definitly a market for it mate. Start off reasonably priced, and once you start selling, start bumping up ya prices :yep: 

33 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Wood's a wonderful thing, you can make some cool stuff with minimal tools with a bit of imagination. 

For sure 

1 person likes this

Maybe chance ya arm and put it on g u m tree  for a good mark up price to gauge interest...  That's what I'd do.

Loving this latest piece, it looks real good bud..  Nice one :yep:

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, tigseyjnr said:
46 minutes ago, Captain Bonglington said:

Sparks bouncing off my face and the angle grinder kicking occasionally

:yep:  I love it. Never thought I would, but it feels right. 

I even felt it necessary to use some eye protection, squinting and turning my head slightly to one side didn't feel adequate. lol

That is pretty much what I'm doing, trying to build a little gallery of items...:yep: The time it takes to source a suitable piece and work on it is the biggest factor, as things stand I don't have enough time at the moment, a few hours over the weekend isn't enough really.

I'm going to pick up another piece to work on soon, this time I'm going to play with some coloured and glow in the dark resin...:yes:

Thanks @Daze:yep:

4 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

I even felt it necessary to use some eye protection, squinting and turning my head slightly to one side didn't feel adequate. lol

Ya big fanny. 

Only joking. Yep, always wear my specs now. Had a couple of very close calls. 

But good luck with it mate. You've got an eye for it, and a passion behind your work too. Always a winner. 

Seen some nice effects with the metallic resins  :yep: 

:offtopic:

I'm determined to make one of those fractal burning things befor you do though lol

1 person likes this