Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

Model making

95 posts in this topic

Got my first model, its smaller and fiddlier than the ones I used to make, but I think it adds to the level of concentration, and the fact the bits are laser cut is a big bonus, some might think it`s cheating? I don`t know, I think they can make it thinner and lighter if pre cut.

just spent an relaxing hour making the outer wing bits, now taking a break to let it dry properly and stretch my poor back. I see I`m going to have to set up a proper way so I`m more up right.

But for £28 it`s a cracking little model, and fitting perfectly to the blue prints so far.

4 people like this

Got my first model....

But for £28 it`s a cracking little model,

What did you get fella? :lookaround:

What did you get fella? :lookaround:

Hawker Hurricane from the vintage model co :)

1 person likes this

Nice one @@ratdog... I've always loved the Hurricane...

Google this book....

Aircraft Workshop: Learn to Make Models That Fly £15 on Amazon

Its got a load of plans in it from beginner chuck gliders to a RC 1/5 scale Spitfire MkV, with flaps! :shock:

It's a great book if anyone wants to learn RC flight.

Google Chris Foss radio controlled model aircraft, he's a British model designer based in Shoreham he has some great models, I've built a few of those over the years.

The good thing about building them is when you crash them you know how to repair them.... lol

I crash mine just to rebuild them lol

Have fun building your Hurricane... build diary?? ;-)

Edited by mmmm...nice!
1 person likes this

I'm halfway through building one of these beasts... not as big and it won't have a turbine in it...

Impressive model.... :shock:

6 people like this

Wow that is seriously impressive! Incredibly agile and controlled, beautiful landing after all that high speed stuff.

Can I have one with cameras and lasers on as well?

2 people like this

Aye, that's a proper bit of kit that is!

Even my girlfriend was impressed by that..."Fucking hell, look at it go!"

Would you need a licence to fly a bit of kit like that? You could cause some carnage with that thing if you got it wrong, it's a guided missile really!

Edited by Captain Bonglington
1 person likes this

This thread has me looking at model kits all day today. I've always wanted an RC plane ever since I was a kid. One with a proper little engine in it, none of this electric bullshit lol

They're a lot more expensive than I remember though, something like £500 all in by the time you have the aircraft, controls and engine, and that's just for basic stuff! Watched heaps of videos earlier, there's some serious RC enthusiasts out there. Those gas turbine powered craft are serious pieces of kit. Watching the above ^^ video earlier I thought holy shit the wheels fell off when he took off, how the fuck is he going to land lol

2 people like this

Would you need a licence to fly a bit of kit like that? You could cause some carnage with that thing if you got it wrong, it's a guided missile really!

Errrr, yeah! lol And insurance... :shock:

Models over 20KG have to be CAA certified too from what I can remember.

1 person likes this

One with a proper little engine in it, none of this electric bullshit lol

Like this... :shock:

2 people like this

:rofl: Daft question in hindsight!

I'm well impressed by that though, the pilot's got some serious skills and the machinery's nuts.

Thanks for posting dude. :yep:

1 person likes this

Have fun building your Hurricane... build diary?? ;-)

@@Mmmm...nice!

Hello mate, loving it, will post some pics later, not sure I want to get into R/C tbh, but love building things.

got the wing span done, tail span done and 70% ov the fuselage done, looking forward to doing more later, just got back from London so been busy, but will have some time later, my mates playing in the local pub but I had enough drink Thursday to last a week lol great comedy gig though. Bobby Mair from the tele popped in to do an impromptu set, he was bloody funny. Great fun, love live comedy gigs :) It was the Top Secret comedy club , only £5 to get in!

2 people like this

Cardboard guitar...!

3 people like this

@@Mmmm...nice!

Sod trying to keep the intonation and the damn thing in tune lol

Here`s a few pics of the stages so far, still some sanding to be done, and stringers to be added to the fuselage, but you get the idea so far :)

plans and tools

model plans And Key

parts made so far

Model parts 1

fusalage close up

model parts 2

tail wing

tail wing

wing close up

wing close Up

6 people like this