Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phoenix

Anybody else eging?......

16 posts in this topic

Share your squid tactics here...

Just getting into catching squid.

Best session 9 good squid.

Catching every trip now. Personal best of at least a kilo...

It's an intriguing and alluring style of fishing.... Or cephalopoding or eging...

What colours or depths are working?

How far north have they gone?

Never heard of fishing for squid, so enjoy HRF and canal spinning.

Found a squid washed up when a was younger and have used them for bait but have never thought o fishing for them.

Fished for squid in gibraltar years ago,used one of those squid jigs with a small glowing light like a cyalume stick,had a couple.

There's a proliferation of Squid around our waters at the moment, particularly in the North Sea. It's due to warmer waters, global warming and all that.

At this rate, a few more years and you'll probably be able to catch red snapper and tuna.

1 person likes this

There's a proliferation of Squid around our waters at the moment, particularly in the North Sea. It's due to warmer waters, global warming and all that.

At this rate, a few more years and you'll probably be able to catch red snapper and tuna.

You can already catch tuna,been some big ones caught lately,300 pounder caught in the west country a couple of months ago on rod and line.
3 people like this

You can already catch tuna,been some big ones caught lately,300 pounder caught in the west country a couple of months ago on rod and line.

How about that? Wow.

Yellow fin?

Bluefin,ireland has long had a tuna angling rep.

3 people like this

Never knew that.

How about giant squid?

Architeuthis?They have been found in all of the worlds oceans so never say never.

Record tuna from Ireland is or was 998lb from downings in donegal. They stole the record from nova scotia.

I been catching loads of squid, it's a really addictive and absorbing bit of fishing. Also had a couple of cuttlefish as well. @@marcjuna You hrf setup will work fine. Just get some jigs!

1 person likes this

@@Twisted Rizla tuna were always historically in our waters until the demise of the herring due to over fishing.

When the herring disappeared as did the tuna. Wealthy British anglers used to kit boats out for long tunny expeditions. Zane grey might be one of the great old school anglers that used to hunt them..

As sardines and pilchards are increasing so are the tuna again...

1 person likes this

Are these squid in the solent or English channel? I might av ago if soo

@@Phoenix, do they pull back much? What are you having them on, feathery type things?

Regarding Tuna, a guy found a dead one on the Severn a couple of months ago. The shark blokes catch Tuna out of Milford Haven quite often.

Edited by Captain Bonglington

@@Captain Bonglington

Long time no chat bud! I'm just using cheaper. No cheapest jigs just now.

Until I work out the limitations and then I might splash out on a shimano sephia. That is the lure of choice.

Yo Zuri a close second best.

60gm casting weight savage gear lure rod. 3000 size reel. 10- 12lb line. Two jigs.

Yes they fight well. Had them to over a kilo so far. Had to lock the drag down to winch it up the wall!

Beats dragging full houses of doggies on beachcasters in with a five ounce lead...

Very tactile and skillful fishing this.

We need to get boojum on the squid...

He likes eating them...

1 person likes this

I stand corrected on zane grey, he was a yank. But a great international big game angler. He broke the mould.