Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

iBMe

Machines Taking Over

43 posts in this topic

I suppose it's already happening and has been for a few hundred years now.. accelerating more recently because of cheap electronics and internet "dumbening", humans are becoming squishy bags of meat that interacts with the machines and technology they rely on to survive and feel fulfilled, most likely we are already past the point where the majority of people couldn't live without a "man-made" environment, maybe they have already won, though they need us too, at the moment. As our human condition deteriorates, body's through "home comforts" and minds through the internet and not having to use your memory so much, their condition constantly advances and become greater and great, I bet if you could chart it somehow the rise of "The Machine" would run opposing parallel to the "Human Condition", they become stronger as we get weaker, and in our weakness our reliance on them increases leading to even better versions and so the cycle continues. :g:

Just some stoned thoughts I had feel free to add.. :yep:

10 people like this

yeah governments have access to the most advanced technology and just seem to use it to the detriment of everyone... they manipulate us with this technology, they spy on us, control us.. anyone who speaks out about it is a paranoid nut (or conspiracy theorist) and confined to the bin. They have stolen alien tech as well, some of the things they can do with their hardware is quite sickening indeed... this is not sci fi this is happening... technology we have access to must be years behind what they have at their disposal...

Edited by Subliminal Criminal
2 people like this

Might find this interesting. Frey and Osborne took a comprehensive list of jobs from O*NET2 and analysed them to see which ones depend on automatable skills and which do not. They then assigned the jobs into the categories of low, medium and high risk for automation, based on how dependent they were on automatable skills. The high risk category includes jobs where there was a 70% or higher risk of them being capable of automation within the next 20 years: https://80000hours.org/2015/02/which-careers-will-be-automated/

Figure-3.png

Hard times ahead.

Edited by Victor Kruger
1 person likes this

One thing I've noticed is those checkout machines at the supermarket, they're not very good at their jobs really but that doesn't stop them appearing to be quite sarcastic.

Worrying times indeed.

2 people like this

Machines and people behaving in the manner of machines perhaps. Mimicking their behaviour if you will.

10101101010001010010 er shit ignore that i'm human really I am ;-)

1 person likes this

The machines dont scare me as of yet they are still basic input output machines, its the People or should i say corporations that operate them and there consistent insistence on the pursuit of profit we need to worry about in the short term.

I'm no Luddite i accept the need to improve and sincere hope that it would free people from manual labor so they could pursue more mind intensive activities and general further learning , but if the population isn't educationally going that direction then looks more dystopian and set for further polarization imo.

wait till the rise of the nanobot's :russian:

Cyberdyne

1 person likes this

Welcome my Son.

2 people like this

@@iBMe I do feel this one... I watched the Disney film Wall-E with the kids when it came out.. Although just a family film it makes a very strong point about this exact subject. Human beings suffering from accelerated evolution due to lack of physical exercise or an abundance of close range visual devices..

I have been with my missus for a long time, I only remember her forgetting her phone once. We were going to Primark to grab some clothes, and as we were a few mins from the shop she started panicking. She made me drive 20 mins home to get her phone so we could go back to Primark for half an hour.

The reliance on technology has become immense. And even the mention of living without it and your branded a nutter.

GV.

2 people like this

As long as I could still have books then I could live without most tech

Well maybe a lappy too

And internet

lol

3 people like this

anyone who can push current tech to its limits is branded a hacker and dangerous. Well maybe not everyone as having these skills could get you a job.. but you get my point... machines may have to operate within global laws someday... just to protect people. Because it wont just be governments with supercomputers, there could be terrorists even aliens taking control.. a mobile phone of today is more powerful than a supercomputer of 30 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiaHrPwSG-Y

Edited by Subliminal Criminal
2 people like this

Being humans, humanity, is a mundane and repeatable performance on the whole but it is interspersed with abstract creativity. There are obviously other distinctions of being human of equal benefit but they have no relevance at a base level for machines. You could argue that machines instilled with that basic care of other machines, like humanities impulsive drive at times to save each other, to the possible detriment of the self, may be better as an incorporation into machines, it is after all just the more dangerous and impulsive version of cooperativeness that sees the whole above the self. But I think some elements of being human are hard to program for, if not impossible, the abstract, delineated, ability of the human mind to create new things is I would imagine be very hard to create in artificial minds and infinitely harder for artificial minds to create for themselves. Saying that, a self repeating mindless expansion is the core driving force of any organism, reproduction rules on all fronts and is mindless, someone could unleash this strait as an artificial organism I suppose

2 people like this

would just like to point out the possibility that we are biological machines ourselves. at a macro level of course