Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Wanderer

Potential Plots

45 posts in this topic

Hey, I was just wondering what you guy thought of a couple spots, I found some woods that were very quiet it was walled but it has mostly fallen apart now. There were deer in the forest, a small track through it but I thought I might have been rabbits or something, no litter but there was some branches of trees rested up against trees like a sort of shelter. There was a clearing in them that I wasn't sure would be enough light but I will try to cut back as much as I can if I decide it's worth giving it a shot. It's quite an open forest but near the clearing is a couple fallen trees where bushed have started to grow around and there's a little clearing in the middle, you wouldn't be able to see into it from most angles once the leaves are out. Is a bit of a gap though but it's prety far from anywhere.

Another one is at the bottom of a fairly steep west facing slope, it would be much easier to cut back stuff here to get more light than the other spot, it's fairly close to the back of some peoples gardens but it's all overgrows for an are around it. There's a fairly well used footpath about 150m away on the other side of some barbed wire and those fences they use around construction site. There are nettles at the spot as well and next to it a patch of mossy ground, i wasn't sure if moss is good or bad as i know nettles are meant to be good. I read moss might indicate slightly acidic.

The last one I'm unsure about is on the top of a hill with a fairly well used footpath at the bottom of the hill, the hills all very overgrown and the spot is south facing quite a big clearing, can see some houses in the distance and there's a couple abandoned greenhouses near by, completely overgrown.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1 person likes this

Dunno mate, you gotta study the tracks & trails around the plots. Fools rush in where angels fear to grow. Go check em out again but look from all angles & up any climbable trees. Hang around for a few hours and if you get the nod from the GG gods have a really good think about where you'll be entering and leaving then go home and ponder on.

Like the sound of those greenhouses! ;)

Hi Wander and welcome, mmm it's hard for a stranger who can't see through your eyes to say yes or no. Only you can really tell. Go back at odd times to these spots and observe comings and goings. While you're there watch the sun fall and try to imagine where shadows will be cast, bearing in mind morning sun is beneficial. I think you've got a few weeks to continue "wandering" in search of your happy spot. You'll know it when you find it. Think outside the normal confines and look at the landscape, fences and private signs can cause problems but also remove a large portion of the public at large, or weird nobody would dream of walking places. Have a look at people's diaries, there are plenty of plot pics to give you an idea although some people are completely brazen I prefer a bit more stealth. I would say that you would need 2 to 3 sites to spread your chances of success. I would say read ALOT on here, all the answers to your questions are here. What lat are you? Some places are more populated and make it difficult to find privacy. I'm sure you will get lucky and there's nothing like a bit of time pressure to get you motivated. Good luck with your hunt.

3 people like this

Thanks for replies, I'm at lat 51 but the plot in the forest is at lat 52 so sort of borderline. Yeah I'll go back and yeah getting there and back isn't much of an issue, I'll get some pictures next time I go. I know the area quite well and the field I walk through (well around the edge of) to get to the plots I never see anyone else walking in and i can cut through from there to the other spot, the one by the greenhouses is the one I'm more hesitant about. it's much better for light but it's at the end of a very small trail, have to get past a few brambles but i think it's more an animal trail than humans as the terrain isn't the best for a casual stroll. Might just plant a couple there anyway though try my luck, wont be much of a loss if they're ripped but if they don't then it would be a very nice spot.

I've been reading through the forums for the last few days though so think I'm fairly well educated now but still uncertain in some areas.

The shadows would be an issue at the better of the two at the moment but it's a lot easier to clear space to get rid of them there than the other location.

Also for you with plots spread out are they all within walking distance in an area or a bit of a car drive between locations? Could see it being a lot of effort moving lots of stuff about long distances as I don't drive. Have no problems getting a lift of a mate though.

Just remember that your plants will have a strong scent at times and can you can smell them at a far distance.There been times I went to my plot and I could smell them from 80 yards away.so keep the number of plants way down when your growing around foot trails and poeples back yards.

Good luck with your grow

1 person likes this

Sounds like you're well on the way, mates can be great for drop off and collections but can also open a whole can of poxy worms that aren't worth the risk, tell us on here all about it but not your mates. Get a £20 bike you can stuff in undergrowth, no one will nick a dumped crapper. I've just dropped 150lts of well rotted manure off using the bike. If you space plots too close and one gets found, what do you think the ripper/ public will do ? Look for more of course. If you want to GG then you gotta be sneakeeee .

1 person likes this

Just remember that your plants will have a strong scent at times and can you can smell them at a far distance.There been times I went to my plot and I could smell them from 80 yards away.so keep the number of plants way down when your growing around foot trails and poeples back yards.

Good luck with your grow

Thanks for the advice, out of interest how many plants did you have at your plot when you could smell them from 80 yards?

Sounds like you're well on the way, mates can be great for drop off and collections but can also open a whole can of poxy worms that aren't worth the risk, tell us on here all about it but not your mates. Get a £20 bike you can stuff in undergrowth, no one will nick a dumped crapper. I've just dropped 150lts of well rotted manure off using the bike. If you space plots too close and one gets found, what do you think the ripper/ public will do ? Look for more of course. If you want to GG then you gotta be sneakeeee .

Yeah, i'm not going to show them exactly where i go but more just drop me off and come back in abit and yeah it's like alot of other posts i saw round here, footpaths all over the place, roads everywhere, farms everywhere, a couple decent spots but didn't have any access to them really, may take you advice on the bike though.

Wasn't sure but I though that the plants would be on a hill above the footpath the smell might not reach it as much as would be windier at the top of the hill.

I had just over 40 auto's last year and on certain days they just really stunk up the hole area.Where i live the mosquitoes where so bad in that area even during the day that nobody was going for joy walks in that spot.

I had just over 40 auto's last year and on certain days they just really stunk up the hole area.Where i live the mosquitoes where so bad in that area even during the day that nobody was going for joy walks in that spot.

Yeah, that's more than I'm planning on doing, think I'm going to do 10 or so spread out. Not doing autos but some of them are early flowering but not sure how much of a difference it makes. Will probably give the spots a shot to see if they do get ripped or not. In the summer quite a lot of people walk there dogs near one of them, i'd say like 50 yards away but down a fairly steep hill as well. Would probably only have 2 or 3 in each spot anyway.

Do you do anything to a plot to make it more secure at all? Like putting a fence up but not as obvious sort of thing? Saw some people say about growing brambles around the perimeter etc, not sure how well that would work as the spots I'm looking at though

Okay, your pictures aren't great as it is hard to make out the surrounding environment of your plot... but from what I can see it is pretty much nestled in amongst a forest or at least surrounded by trees. The main concern would be the sunlight getting blocked out by the leaves and foliage come mid-summer? I would also be concerned about mould in a forested area, although I am using a forest clearing myself this year, except my plot will have more sunlight & airflow as it is more open than the area shown in your photos...

I have 5 different plots this year and my worst one still looks better than this as it will get more sunlight and has better soil than what I can see in those pictures. I would do some more last-minute plot searching... You want an overgrown field that gets all day sun or a south facing plot such as a south facing tree line... Or a forest clearing which is much more open so it gets better sunlight and airflow. I know it's a pain in thr arse trying to find suitable plots, but the general consensus will be that this plot is a no-go...

Okay, your pictures aren't great as it is hard to make out the surrounding environment of your plot... but from what I can see it is pretty much nestled in amongst a forest or at least surrounded by trees. The main concern would be the sunlight getting blocked out by the leaves and foliage come mid-summer? I would also be concerned about mould in a forested area, although I am using a forest clearing myself this year, except my plot will have more sunlight & airflow as it is more open than the area shown in your photos...

I have 5 different plots this year and my worst one still looks better than this as it will get more sunlight and has better soil than what I can see in those pictures. I would do some more last-minute plot searching... You want an overgrown field that gets all day sun or a south facing plot such as a south facing tree line... Or a forest clearing which is much more open so it gets better sunlight and airflow. I know it's a pain in thr arse trying to find suitable plots, but the general consensus will be that this plot is a no-go...

Thanks, I uploaded photos of another one a little bit away from that one, I'm not hopeful for either tbh but though it was worthing asking more experienced people.

gallery_98377_12825_224914.jpg

This looks interesting but it does indeed seem most of your spots look too overgrown by trees.

Edited by Loam Gnome
1 person likes this

This looks interesting but it does indeed seem most of your spots look too overgrown by trees.

That's south facing so i'm not sure it will be to bad, was sunny on the ground when i came the first time, Also not hard to cut that back abit and put the waste covering up the greenhouse more incase someone does go in there at some point, but at the moment it has quite a few windows smashed and plants growing everywhere inside. Abit worries about how close to the river it is as quite alot of people walk their dogs there, it is quite high up above it though so thought that might help take the smell away from the path.

Edited by The Wanderer

lot of work but definitely will be inaccessible to random people/animals which is perfect, get ur back bent ;)