Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
puma

1/2 strength nutes mean 1/2 PPM?

So im starting a DWC for my first grow, feet first! seedlings hatched yesterday in rockwool.

Using GH 3 part. (Do you NEED to use other supplements by the way?)

Im just wondering, when mixing my nutes to half strength, should the PPM also be 1/2 of what is recommended at the given stage of the plants?

I understand less nutes will result in lower PPM. Or have I kinda answered my own question.

Thanks in advance.

yes mate, 1/2 strenjth is half the ppm

1 person likes this

It would be half the ppm of full strength nutes plus the ppm of your base water bro. :yep:

2 people like this

yes sorry, SoD is rite, , i forget that most dont have as low a base as my water, which is less than 0.2,

DWC uses a much weaker nute solution than any other system.

My tapwater reads .3 on the truncheon, so I start nutes at .5 rising to no higher than 1.0 by the end of the grow

This has no correlation with the recommended strengths on the bottles and they are best ignored.

If you have no truncheon to measure cf I recommend you invest in one

atb

stu :oldtoker:

Thanks for the replies. I only have a meter that measures PPM. ive recently been reading that this isnt the best way to measure nutes but it will have to do for now. A truncheon is on my wishlist but be a little while yet.

My tap water is crazy, 2 days ago it was a little over 200 PPM, today its 70PPM!!

Do i simply add the nutes to my tap water until desired PPM is reached?

Also, are there any boosters people recommend?

Yeah bro, just add the nutes till your up where you want to be. As for boosters, I wouldn't worry about them at this stage of the game. Get everything else spot on first like environment and feeds and you won't go far wrong. I've never used the GH range so I can't advise on specifics bro but I can tell ya that most boosters are a load of pish. The ones that aren't pish will only be of any use if everything else is spot on 100%.......then they boost it. PK 13-14 is useful in flowering but other than that, keep the boosters where they belong...on the shelf :yep:

1 person likes this

Thanks SoD. As its my first hydro grow and dont want to make it too difficult first time around. Sticking to the 3 part GH will do for this crop for ease.

Just realised that my timer isnt suitable for a 600w ballast!! Grow shop here i come. :wallbash:

1 person likes this

Make sure and get one then bro. Don't fuck about with cheapo timers and burn yer first grow down, bad times. :) Get a contactor box for use with a cheapo timer or get a dedicated one piece grow light timer like the Plug n Grow or the Power plant ones. I've been using the PnG ones for the last couple of years with no probs :yep:

2 people like this

Electricity is not one to be fucked with. Got myself a Plug n Grow. I was going to pick up some formulex but they only had litre bottles. Do you need to use rooting stimulator in rockwool? or would a weak ass nutrient soultion to soak the rockwool in be sufficient?

@@puma

Weak solution is what I use, by weak I mean really weak to start with, otherwise they will burn.

I use ph perfect nutes, A+B Grow and A+B flower with just Buddhas Tree additive as recommended during flower. Tried without using it and results weren't as good.

Consider which type of environment you want in your reservoir, some people use various bio bacteria type stuff others go sterile and use oxyplus, which is what I do.

It has two uses, addis oxygen to the water (short term) and kills off any unwanted algae, bacteria etc. helps prevent root rot.

You will need to monitor the temperature in your res as well, this is critical in dwc as there is no buffer like in soil if you make a mistake.

Opinion is divided on the exact temps, but if you keep things between 18c and 22c you won't go far wrong.

:oldtoker:

2 people like this

Thanks! how is oxyplus used? in tablet form or liquid?

Got the seedlings under a 125w cfl at the moment around 2" away. think i'll wait a couple days then i'll prepare the 3" RW cubes to go in DWC. How long would you guys suggest waiting til i show them the 600W HPS?

Ive done a few test runs of the setup, temp of res sits at 21c with lights on but drops a fair bit lights off.

a couple inches below the HPS is 28c (intake can be increased to lower if needed).