Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joba

fishing for pike

53 posts in this topic

Greatings fellow anglers,

I have been keen fisherman since young age ,maybe 10 and was always into catching predators on lure,more than just siting and waiting in my tent for a bait(for that i got a different tent :wink_kiss: (fly fishing is next one on the list when kids grow older)

Anyway,I am aware main pike season is gone but I don't have much time when go fishing so always maximum of 3h ,but enjoy walking and luring when I get the chance.

My main water is a cannal,not going to say exact location but north west of England should draw a picture.

Been fishing anytime I could this autum and winter but not even a bait and now from April I went 4 times and caught twice ,all up to 8lbs

Just thought I would share this for those who love to fish on the cannals that fish is at it now since it's gone warmer as the cannal is about 6 feet deep in the middle nad they seem to be more active mainly in the afternoon on sunny days.

2 people like this

I do quite a bit of Pike fishing my self, used to have a set of pools that were great, loads of double figure pike and you almost always caught something.

Unfortunately with the influx of Polish in my area they soon decimated these waters, ate them dry of fish and made a proper mess of the area in general, will take many years for these pool to become what they once were.

Thankfully a fishing club took over these waters and now patrol them and stop the bastards.

We have a great river and canal and loch that are all good for pike as well, unfortunately again the Polish are wreaking havoc with these as well although most people chase them off when they come across them.

1 person likes this

@@ELO

yes mate I am aware of this it is normal to catch and keep any fish over certin size in the east europe unfortunatelly.

Main difference between angling here and east europe (I am from that neck of the woods myself) is you need a licence and pass the exam to go fishing otherwise its classed as poachery with similar sentences to GBH.....

I passed my exams at the age of 13 learning when you allowed to fish for cerain species to the lenght they need to have to keep them.My main problem at that time was you were not allowed to lure fish under the age of 15,so that was a big frustration for couple of years for me....

I am returning all my fish(the cannals are full of dead cats and syringes annyways) as its cheaper to buy salmon at a fishcounter in any supermarket for same price as any other meat.

I do it for the thrill and love for nature (just to clarify)

On another note big pike in the waters is not really doing any good to the enviroment as cannals are not open waters and big ones eat pretty much anything on,under and in the water.

Have seen mum duck with 10 ducklings on Monday by Thursday only one was left :(

edit;spelling and hope i find the cable for my camera to upload some cracking pictures from early 5.30 am fishing)

Edited by joba
4 people like this

majority of east european permits for fishing and hunting are for foreigners,mainly German .....they are those who can just buy a ticket and go,get pissed and take a picture, if you are a normal member of a fishing/hunting club you have to donate or help to keep the waters or forest clean to keep your membership

Ye if people fished responsibly like with any species it shouldn't be a problem but unfortunately that's not been the case around my area, actually a lot of people calling for Pike to be permitted and for it to be fully catch and release, there is a petition doing the rounds just now I'm sure.

E2a:- Pike are slow growing and maturing fish which is why they need to be looked after.

Edited by ELO
2 people like this

true....

I am fully aware about pike problems to cope with being taking out this time of the year and to come ,that's why lure not dead bait .To be honest I find it boring (east europe -you are allowed to fish on live bait however,i believe,but not been aroud there for a few years)

@@ELO

what is your view on using spin leads?

I grew up in the enviroment that believed using one will cut the chances of a pike escaping,but not using one will give it a fair chance.

Around my end I start to believe you have to use them.........

still not using one myself..........

Edited by joba

from the age of 10 I had 3 fish tanks,one with carp koi and godfish,other one with tropical fish and third one with african cychlids.

Once had aquariuum type of Essox Lucious and they were the same nature as cychlids.yellow/blue and black

Edited by joba
1 person likes this

Not something I've ever used tbh, I normally dead bait with mackerel on a wire trace using twin trebles as they tend not to be able to swallow these to far down.

I also take the barbs off the trebles makes it far easier to get the hooks out.

If I use lures I tend to use jelly lures that have a single hook at either the bottom or the top again de-barbed and they are usually very easy to remove.

E2a:- actually hardly pike fish anymore tend to go to trout fisheries occasionally but mostly fish for Sea Trout and Salmon, when the summer comes in always go for a bit of Mackie bashing lol

Edited by ELO
3 people like this

Join the lure anglers society,its predator lure anglers only,you get a great magazine and other benefits,i fish microlure as there are no big pike here just jacks,but its exhilerating hooking a 4lb jack on light tackle.

WWW.Lureanglers.co.uk also have a forum,tight lines.

1 person likes this

would like to try fishing around my local lakes but most of them have barbless hook policy.does it apply to lures?

my next treat will be few rappala lures,using some xtreme ones for £1.50 at the momment ,would like to see if it is what you pay for for

used to have rappala posters in my bedroom when teen aged

Edited by joba

Barbless isn't to bad actually I was reluctant for years to try it but it's been fine for me.

I use a variety of Rappalas for Salmon, great lures but expensive, most mine were £6-11.

For Salmon though I adapt mine, I keep only one treble on, in rivers salmon tend to take them side on, so I have the back trebles removed and the front one I have on a swivel, so its split ring-swivel-split ring-treble hook and then you tie the split ring at the treble to the back eyelet where the rear treble would normally be using a light line like 2-3lb.

This means when the Salmon takes it the thin line breaks and you then have a treble with movement, 2 advantages to this are that it doesn't damage the fish as much as a lot of the time with these lures that have 2-3 trebles is only one gets hooked and the other does damage during the fight and secondly is the fish actually can get out of a normal lure as it almost acts like leverage if the treble has no real movement away from the fish so when they fight the treble and become unhooked easier if they turn a certain way and the lure wedges against the fish.

Not sure what I would do with Pike though in regards to that setup.

Edited by ELO
1 person likes this

Join the lure anglers society,its predator lure anglers only,you get a great magazine and other benefits,i fish microlure as there are no big pike here just jacks,but its exhilerating hooking a 4lb jack on light tackle.

WWW.Lureanglers.co.uk also have a forum,tight lines.

another one on the list and subscribtion to here....time flies by

remember my little one to sleep in her buggy when caught my first one,now 8 years later assisting with a landing net...........

1 person likes this

gallery_52471_10894_78354.jpeg

those early morning pictures later as the cammera is away this weekend

Edited by joba
3 people like this

Whats the biggest Pike you have caught mate?

I'll have a look through my old photos should have some of 12-18lb pike in them.

Biggest I have caught personally was 14lb but was with a friend one day and he caught a 18lb, I know a 22lb was taken out the same pool in that summer as well.

:thisbig:

that one on the picture is the biggest one(so far) as before used to fish for brown trout and perch

pike fishing is sort of a substitude at this time and convenience

1 person likes this