Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cravetherave

Wiring the Xpelair WAC 1

24 posts in this topic

Yo guys, thanks for checking this topic :)

I found another topic on wiring the this fan controller up but I didn't find it useful, probably because of my lack of electrical knowledge and talk.

I've got some pictures for you

gallery_73763_4431_39375.jpg

gallery_73763_4431_46179.jpg

gallery_73763_4431_44426.jpg

Now, i'm thinking the green and yellow cable (the earth right?) goes in the corner of the controller box where there is a bronzed little box and screw....

then what is currently connected into 'L' in the fan goes in 'L' on the controller, the same for 'N'

I'm really confused how this is gonna work though? In the bottom picture, the white thing with 8 holes, one side comes from the fan, and the other the plug wire, and I'm guessing the controller needs to go in the middle some how? what the feck i'm baffled :headpain:

do i have to cut the plug off?

gallery_36349_2174_22587.jpg

if you cut the plug of the fans cable but cut off an extra a bit of cable(come to this later), then wire the fans cable

into the LF & NF connectors on the WAC1(dont forget to Earth it), then you use the bit of cable with the plug to bring power into the WAC1.

Edited by Joint hogger
3 people like this

I think you take the wires from the fan that were in your fan plug and connect them to your WAC1 fl and fn and the earth to the box as you said above then connect the l and n connection on the WAC1 to a piece of cable with a plug job done ,hopefully someone with a bit knowledge of electrics will pop there head in and confirm that's right :yep:

looks like JH beat me to it and made a far beter job of explaining it :yinyang:

Edited by bill cooper
2 people like this

righttttttttttttttt a think i understood that :smoke:

gallery_73763_4431_39520.jpg

this is the finished job then, the two wires on the right come from the fan, 'L' on the fan goes to 'LF', 'N' from the fan goes to 'NF', the earth from the fan goes to lil bronzed box?

The two on the left are from the plug end, blue into 'N' and brown into 'L' on the controller, and the earth to nothing?

1 person likes this

actually, the other earth should go into the bronzed box as well right?

the earth screws into the copper connector on the back panel.

actually, the other earth should go into the bronzed box as well right?

Correct

1 person likes this

Hey Guys, Sorry to bump the thread! I am about to (try) to wire my Xpelair that came today!

I have NO Electrical knowledge at all so any advice is much much appreciated!!

I am using an RVK 100 fan attached to Rhino filter, The fan on full speed is Far too loud and sucks too much hence the need for a controller..

The plug im using for the fan is one i found lying around it has two wires (both black) I have wired the fan up fine and it works well, there was however no earth wires involved literally just Live and neutral - is this a problem?

Do i need to get an earth wire from somewhere to use for the Xpelair?

Thanks chaps :wassnnme:

Edited by L3D

most plastic fans are self earthed ie- they dont need an earth as all the metal bits are encased inside the fan but you do need

to use an earth from the mains in to the wac1, the earth connects into the earth connection on the back (inside) of the wac1's casing.

Thanks J.H!! :yinyang:

Where is the earth wire though? Do i need to find a plug that has an earth wire? how do tell without curring open a wire/plug that it will have an earth wire? Really dumb question probably !

Cheers due , better to be safe than sorry eh!

Edited by L3D

all 3 pin plugs have a connection for neutral, live & earth, as for wiring the wac1 up, get some 1.5mm 3 core cable to go from the plug to the wac1.

BnQ sell 5 mtrs for a tenner.

Thanks alot mate - appreciate the help! :bong:

heres some extra info about the wac1's, also, when your running your fans, the minimum setting you need is no2,

so position no1 is 32.6%, no2 is 44%, no3 is 55%, no4 is 75% & no5 is 100%, the reason is that you need an internal airflow rate

of about 40% is to keep the motor & capacitor cool, so you should run the intake at no2 & your outtake at no3 for a good negative measure

gallery_36349_2174_22587.jpg

1 person likes this

@jointhogger, I see that these are rated 75w max. Does this rule out a 6" RVK?