Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nogeek

Using Phosphoric Acid As A Ph Down

I'm using Phosphoric Acid as my PH down , but am having to use a rather large amount (a couple of drops a day nearly) to keep my water stable.

Is phosphoric acid damaging to the plants? If so, can anyone recommend any alternatives to this that are less damaging?

Cheers

If you are using loads of the stuff then you can end up with an excess of phosphorus in the plants, which can make it a bit harsh to smoke.

The only real alternative for hydro is Nitric Acid, which is not only very nasty stuff indeed, but will give you an excess of Nitrogen. This is fine for vegging, but can make the smoke harsh, and can cause stretching during the flowering period.

Using something like PK13/14 towards the end balances out the high concentration of P with a big dose of K, so the plant is better able to metabolise the phosphorus it has built up.

If you want to get right down to it, Nitric Acid is better for the vegetive period, and Phosphoric is better for the flowering period, but you can get away with phosphoric for the entire grow with no real issues

I've been using lemon juice to get the PH down. What's the score with that?

Na, that will be OK mate. It will have a much higher proportion of Potassium in there than phosphorus. These flower boosters are all pretty much the same.

Lemon juice will work, because citric acid will still lower the ph. Not sure how much you would need to use though (lemons don't some with instructions :wassnnme: )

Probably a fair amount I would think, cos lemon juice does'nt burn a hole in your hand the way that Nitric and Phosphoric acid will. Won't do the plants any harm though and will prevent the build up of phosphorus in the plants

I've nearly always used phosphoric acid for pH down but when i first started i used citric acid i bought in a powder form from a brewing shop. It did the trick and some said it affected the taste of the bud in a positive way...not sure myself.

Cheers OMH, thanks for the advice

Happy birthday BTW :-P

Just a quick question. Was reading the thing about spam http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=20017.

Is it ok to put links in as I did above to the vita link buddy? If not I apologise, will not happen again!

(PS i'm not affiliated with the site in any way)