Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
webby

Envirolite or HPS?

29 posts in this topic

Hiya peeps,

I've only got a small cupboard in which I'm going to scrog 3 plants.

Would just the 1 125W envirolite be sufficient enough or should I stick with my first idea and go for a 250W hps?

I need to know asap as I'm going out today/tomorrow to purchase a light so any suggestions would be good.

Also any cheap links would be greatly appreciated :wassnnme:

Thanks as always

WEBBY

top o tha morning to ya webby,

a 125w light would be suitable for an area say 1ft D x 2ft W, how bigs your room?

BB

If you are gonna grow 3 plants in ur scrog i would go for the HPS.

i have an envirolite but only use it for veg, i dont think one on its own would kickout enough light.

L0tus

Thx guys,

BB, my cupboard is 2.37ft w X 1.25ft d X 3.33ft h.

Marlztah I looked at that site but after VAT and delivery it comes to the same price as my local hydro shop are doing 250W for.

Lotus, would 1 not be enough with a good reflector in this small space?

Cheers guys :wassnnme:

Thx Strider M8,

From just scanning through it seems to be an interesting read.

hiya web,

well, here we go:

250w HPS - more ligt, plants will lap it up and produce more, investment as could be used in future for vegging, only worry maybe temps, and suitable ventilation would combat that.

125w envirolite - suits your space perfectly, and temps wouldnt be a worry, but not as high yield as with 250w.

also your height,3.33ft H, take off 6 inch (light height to top of cannopy) so you have max height of 2.9ft ish, so you may have to flower at a MAX height of 12-15 inch cos during flowering your plants will double in height.

forgive my rant, IMHO i would go for the 250w HPS..., but after all the temp probs i had it might be better to use the 125W.....heres my earlier thread http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?act=...T&f=21&t=13545& will give you a better idea..

respect

BB

Edited by budahbwoy

-its gotta be the envirolite - in such a tiny space an hps will almost definitely get dangerously hot - perhaps even causing a fire!You'd need so much cooling, the fans needed would probably need more space than you have for growing,and would be prohibitively expensive! If you don't generate the heat in the first place you don't have to worry about getting rid of it.

http://www.theorganicgrowshop.com/site_pag...ages/lights.htm

How many envirolites would you recommend?

I reckon use one 125w Red envirolite, and supplement it with 60-80w of compact fluorescents (cool colours) -that should give you a good balanced lighting for the whole growth period, without the heat probs, cheap too - £46 for the envirolite and £10-12 worth of compacts - cheapo holders £1.50 a throw. You'll only need a small fan, and you won't need a contactor (less space taken, and a hell of a lot cheaper)

;)

-in a tiny space with bugger all headroom you need every bit of space for plants - all you need is about 3" at the top for the envirrolite and cfs - all the rest is for the good stuff!

Edited by farmweb

Cheers farmweb,

I've just spoke with The Organic Growshop and he reckons that 1 will be enough as well, but the snag is is that he's not open till Wednesday now which is a bit of a bummer ;)

I've also phoned my local hydro shop and they can do me a 250W hps complete kit for £85.

So now my heads hurting ;)

Both work out to be the same price after delivery and reflector for the envirolight.

Where would I get the compacts and holders from? B&Q? and how many?

-honest mate, hps in such a small space is really worryingly dangerous - go for the envirolite! What I'd suggest is use the socket he supplies for free with the envirolite - coat the top of your space in mylar or silver foil to act as a reflector - then position the enviro horizontally somewhere close to the centre - with four cf holders (b&q) again mounted horizontally (to give a pattern like the 5 of diamonds) - you could probably attach the cf holders to the side walls, facing in (they're called batten holders -got the base with holes for mounting) You'll still need some venting with a fan sucking the air out over the tubes - a slot anywhere on the side at the top is ideal. Don't do hps - (unless you're into firemen!) ;)

Thx Farmweb,

Envirolight it is then. I'm not sure that I'll fit 4 cf's in there though so probably just the 2 will do.

The whole of the cupboard is already coated in mylar so that's not a prob ;)

I'll be getting the extractor fan kit for £30 and then a carbon filter from The Organic Grow Shop which fits on the fan for just £30.

It's amazing to see what bargains you can get if you just spend an afternoon searching and getting a bit of info here and a bit of info there ;)

Will my 100W energy saver be ok to stay on the plants for another week?

Thx for all your advice, you may have not only saved my grow but my life too lol He he

WEBBY

-in theory, should work well, the cool cfs give light more at the blue end, which'll help vegging, with the big punch coming from the envirolite for flowering. I've heard some commercial growers are using 2 red, and 1 blue enviro,(pros using them has got to be a good advert) gives a great balance (but too big for your box), so 2-3 cfs act like half a blue enviro. Good luck, will watch your progress with interest!