Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joolz

The Homebrew Thread

422 posts in this topic
It's something I've been thinking about for, oh, about a decade - the amount I drink cheap booze has its attractions :(

But I guess it's like starting growing, one stumbling block is that you don't know where to start. So can anyone recommend a decent, cheap starter kit (or failing that, the basic kit required). Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arse in gear lol I like wine but I don't think I'd contemplate brewing wine cos I like nice wine. I like decent bitter too, but I think it's probably a lot easier to make drinkable bitter than nice wine, and although I do like my good ale, I can drink shit beer :( So a cheapo starter kit that I can make enough crap beer quickly to get me leathered cheap is probably my starting point :( CAMRA will be blackballing me.

A few weeks back I made 6 bottles of Beaverdale Californian Red. It cost £10 for the kit and £5 for a 5L plastic demijohn and airlock. I didn't buy the extra fancy equipment like hydrometer, siphon u-tube etc

Turned out great after 2 weeks fermenting and its all gone :rofl: After the other ingedients were added it was even better and clear, nice looking... Ready to drink.

Very strong fresh wine :yep: Definately needs 12 months in the bottle though imo.

I will be purchasing the 30 bottle kit soon (£30) and I will bottling it up for next christmas now that I've had a go at it (fairly easy), though my temp was a bit high the fermentation was a bit too quick for the perfect wine.

The Beaverdale kits are pretty good Smokey.....they are at the lower end price wise, but are single varietial grape juices and produce very drinkable wine.

Definately better stored for 6-12 months.

The Cab Sav they do is very good too.......have fun :yahoo:

It's something I've been thinking about for, oh, about a decade - the amount I drink cheap booze has its attractions :D

But I guess it's like starting growing, one stumbling block is that you don't know where to start. So can anyone recommend a decent, cheap starter kit (or failing that, the basic kit required). Perhaps one day I'll actually get my arse in gear :yahoo: I like wine but I don't think I'd contemplate brewing wine cos I like nice wine. I like decent bitter too, but I think it's probably a lot easier to make drinkable bitter than nice wine, and although I do like my good ale, I can drink shit beer lol So a cheapo starter kit that I can make enough crap beer quickly to get me leathered cheap is probably my starting point :D CAMRA will be blackballing me.

A few weeks back I made 6 bottles of Beaverdale Californian Red. It cost £10 for the kit and £5 for a 5L plastic demijohn and airlock. I didn't buy the extra fancy equipment like hydrometer, siphon u-tube etc

Turned out great after 2 weeks fermenting and its all gone lol After the other ingedients were added it was even better and clear, nice looking... Ready to drink.

Very strong fresh wine lol Definately needs 12 months in the bottle though imo.

I will be purchasing the 30 bottle kit soon (£30) and I will bottling it up for next christmas now that I've had a go at it (fairly easy), though my temp was a bit high the fermentation was a bit too quick for the perfect wine.

2 weeks is just too quick with out a doubt ! you wana be taking at least 4 weeks for ferment better still 6 weeks .....ps , if you liked beaverdale try some of the others like heron bay fantastic wines .

ive just finnished a pinos gris , just about to add the finings , tastes bloomin awsome .....nice thing about whites is theres not realy any need to let it age , and if your anything like me reds dont get long enough to age either :))

The Beaverdale kits are pretty good Smokey.....they are at the lower end price wise, but are single varietial grape juices and produce very drinkable wine.

Definately better stored for 6-12 months.

The Cab Sav they do is very good too.......have fun :)

I must just go for that next mate :D

:yahoo:

2 weeks is just too quick with out a doubt ! you wana be taking at least 4 weeks for ferment better still 6 weeks .....ps , if you liked beaverdale try some of the others like heron bay fantastic wines .

ive just finnished a pinos gris , just about to add the finings , tastes bloomin awsome .....nice thing about whites is theres not realy any need to let it age , and if your anything like me reds dont get long enough to age either :))

hehe lol

yeah it was bubbling/foaming like mad and once it exploded red specs against the wall :D

but it was ok, will just use the room temp next time and not heat mat lol

good point about the whites, didnt think of that :)

lol

A Friend has just explained to me that one can graft a hop plant onto the rootstock of canabis and then brew beer from said hops and you get high of it!!!!!!!

"A friend" is telling you tall stories :yinyang:

1 person likes this

A Friend has just explained to me that one can graft a hop plant onto the rootstock of canabis and then brew beer from said hops and you get high of it!!!!!!!

"A friend" is telling you tall stories :yinyang:

:smoke:

Not heard that one for a while.

Have been keen to try brewing my own booze for a while now. Keep reading john seymours self sufficiency book but then not following up. Tried some rosehip wine last year but didnt have enough hips. I'm really interested in trying to make some mead. Drink of the gods and all that, if Thor liked it it must be nice sort of thing.

I'm still looking into it at the moment, I think the best stuff is left for a good while. Fingers crossed I will be buggering off on a job about as far away from civilisation as is humanly possible for eighteen months so if I get on it before I go I'll let you know the results when I get back. In the mean time, anybody ever made mead?

I plan to make some mead next year, I've found a couple of recipes and hopefully I'll have plenty of the base ingredient next year although it seems proper mead needs oak barrels and about 4 years to mature :spliff:

you have to be pretty patient with this hobby lol I've just waited 3 years to find out that my first batch of elderberry wine was totally disgusting :puke: , quite potent but not a pleasant taste or aroma and it left a really horrible after taste and it's now been poured down the sink lol (sorry sink)

went to a party once and some lad had his elderberry wine there said it tasted like piss before he put brandy in it :rofl: proper rocketfuel puts hairs on yer chest

just thought i would add this for all you brewwwwers out there

the wine bottles you need are becoming rarer by the day , alot of the wines in the shops now come with metal screw tops :spliff: ....i think eventually you will only be able to get decent bottles without the screw at high prices from shops ect ... so start collecting what you need

oh and also , dont buy this fancy steralizing stuff , plain old unscented bleach (just a couple of drops) works as well if not better :puke:

oh and also , dont buy this fancy steralizing stuff , plain old unscented bleach (just a couple of drops) works as well if not better :yep:

good tip about the bottles,

another cleaning method is to use bicarbonate of soda(NOT baking powder) it will get rid of any previous odours/stains :yep:

i clear my nose out with it all the time :yinyang:

Well I figured I'd try out the apple wine recipe posted earlier.

Picked up all the kit including 2 demijohns - i guess they're about 1 gallon each - for around £30

Silly me, mis-read the instructions and put the apples oranges and lemons all in. The recipe says to add the oranges and lemons after the solution has been strained after a week...

How will this affect my brew? Hopefully I haven't wrecked it

:nea:

J

Now this is something I would love to dabble in. I've never done any home brewing, but its always appealed to me. A Geordie I went to university with used to do it all the time especially with wine, if it could be turned into wine chances are he'd probably done it! I got to sample a few types, the banana wine was very tasty, but my personal favourite was his parsnip wine! Also tried nettle and birch sap, wasn't too keen on them especially the latter which quite frankly tasted shite! I would love to try some marijuana beer someday.

If/when I start with a homebrew I'd want to make a press to concoct some cider, but the all time best thing I could think of making would have to be perry, I absolutely adore fresh pears, pear juice, pear drops and of course PERRY!... so to be able to craft some perry myself would be nothing short of orgasmic! Anyone else ever made some?

I've just done a fat juicy search on the tinterweb and found some interesting articles on perry making and also one on how to make a press. Does anyone know where I can get other press making plans? :pimp:

I made my own strawberry vodka 4 christmas.....2 bottles :chef:

post-26220-1229463280_thumb.jpg

Take 1 bottle of vodka and tip some of it out to make room for the strawberries (dont waste this, as when you taste your drink you can top the bottle back up! )

I put about 15 cut up in the bottle for the first part... they have gone white now and they have imparted their flavour nicely after 2 weeks and the vodka has gone a light pink colour......

Next ill take out those strawberries and put in a second lot plus a teaspoon of sugar.....

when that has then sat for another week ill take them out and filter the lovely sweet strawberry vodka...and a very merry christmas :rofl::smug:

Silly me, mis-read the instructions and put the apples oranges and lemons all in. The recipe says to add the oranges and lemons after the solution has been strained after a week...

should be fine, just might have a stronger acidic taste

but if you are worried you could always strain it out again :naughty:

I've been considering making beer. Some good friends of mine do it (one for a micro brewery) and there is a great supply shop here in town.

But I have also looked at brewery equipment to help with my canna grow, in particular straining my teas before application. Details in my 2nd diary when I get around to buying the gear (soon) and posting about my compost and teas. I may also use some brewery vessels to help make my teas.

Edited by Randalizer

should be fine, just might have a stronger acidic taste

but if you are worried you could always strain it out again :rofl:

That sounds OK to me mate. All lager is quite acidic anyhow iirc, and i drink plenty of that! :smug:

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

We'll see just what it turns out like... just checked. It'll be just past easter when it'll be ready! I'll try and give a drink report if i remember... Hmmm 15-18%. We'll see :rofl:

lol

J