Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
peterappleseed

Resivor Temp ?

In on of my recent posts i asked about Tempreture of the water resivor ?

Old timer 1 suggests not exceeding "20 deg centigrade" - Can i have some confirmation of this recomendation - would be much apreciated.

New 1 week old peeks out of shells and in water culture hydro setup cc.medium, setup & lighting all in other posts with pics

ps/ I am growing in sub tropical Australia

20 deg's sound's about right to me..sonic :wassnnme:

Thanks sonic but will do adjustments over next few hrs while light is out and temp able to drop gradually (water not circulating),

Cheers

Peter One of the best things is keeping the res aerated at all times, rather than an air stone type better are one of the little pumps that sit at the surface that spray water across the water surface. With tank aeration 24/7 and temps 20c or below pythium can be virtually eliminated as long as every thing is steralised between grows.

Pythium is one of the biggest problems that hydro growers have to deal with world wide. Take a look at this link when the page loads click the pythium button. Link.

I hope this helps.

thanks oldtimer1 - yo do realize that i an dong hydro via 'water culter' and youv've looked at my posts od pics in forum. I started droing my temp as per you advice dow to 20 deg cel - but then came across a reference i wil draf up for you and this said keep temp of resevor at 25 deg cel.

I am willing to persist & increase my knowledge. have got them & figures recorded as i have chossen an aim and that is to achieve high yields & good quality dispite this being difficult as i don't think i can buy seeds of the type availiable to UK'ers.

oldtimer 1 here is where i got the info from - i will read your link artical: here is the 'not under, or rather optimal' info and a refererence

The book is written by one of Holland's experts in the field of professional hydroponics. If you have this book, you know everything there is to know about growing on rockwool.

That will kill the plants Tap water must be warmed up to 25 degrees C.

Use a water thermometer to keep an eye on the water temperature.

How to grow marijuana in rockwool.htm

GROWING MARIJUANA IN ROCKWOOL GUIDE

sorry don't have link

may b it is as simple as i am not growing n rockwool (interptretation via wrong medium ? ) correct me it his is so - thanks oldtimer for your time

forgopt you other piece of advice - "res aerated at all times, rather than an air stone type better are one of the little pumps that sit at the surface that spray water across the water surface. " this is easy to implimentas i have a 2nd t-piect on the outleet of my presrent waterpump and the supplys of those type of water sprays form an old ehiem aquarium water filter/pump.

by implimenting this the wter would flow to top of res and free fall to the res thus airating. Why would this method of adding oxgn be better than direct subursed airstone ?

Thanks for you assistance

Oldtimer1 - I have read the artical and is detailed and not beyond my intelectual capacity, however. it dose discuss an important aspect & that is the scrupulious undertaking of 'serial environment'. very perfectionist leading to cost escalation tus this is a financial consideration.

As the design of my articulated system like many Hydro flow system set ups allows inspection of the root hairs system I will keep an eye on them and consider the limited addition of hydrogen peroxide (preventative use in replacement reseviour water) but disregard on-going use at this stage.

It is easy to implement the returning water surface aggitation (Spray positioned 3- 8 cm above resevour water level) as a means of allowing oxygen intergration.

I found the artical 1) old (1978) 2) politically pro hydro in its foundations of thought - always critically queston the authors position on topic (what anglre is he coming from, who's he work for, what is his agenda (discounting conspiricy theorys) 3) comercially orientated and & 4) indepth,

thanks I am finding this a real learning curve and i wonder is i am going to deep into things. for example I would make a good nurse with the 1 hr observations I have introduced, but I'll put it down to an aspect of my personality "usatiable need to have expert knowledge" gained from others esperience. It is so easy on the net to get sidetracked.

Thankyou

PS: Res Temp 22 - 25 deg cel & monitor (inspect rout sytem) which is nice and white with root hairs forming independantly and clear white no sign of browning - YET

hi pa,

i wonder is i am going to deep into things

some people forcefeed chickens(broilers)

they are fatter bigger and look healthy,

but the've outgrown their tastyness........

the speed they grow at, must make them taste bland

bigger,fatter,smellier,crystalier does't mean better...

you sound a perfectionist m8, you need to growing organic imo

let nature take care more......

goodluck in your quest....

btw the optimum room temp is surposed to be 25C-26C,

are you confusing that with optimal water temp........

which as ot say's is not to excede 20C

sr

Edited by sittingrelaxing

Peter you are not getting what I am trying to say. I know all the boys in the states who developed things like Webby tubes, [vis Webfish and then Irish] BD97 and the development of the cube etc etc. They look for maximum yield of top quality bud on a scale you can’t even probably dream of. Their research is years in advance of anything in Holland, they were using X10 sensor computer controlled auto dosing of H2O2 7 or 8 years back. It didn’t and doesn't work with pythium, but can delay it and reduce its effect. The thing they found was that as long as the water was well oxygenated and more importantly by keeping the return flow water at or just below 68F that pythium did not develop at all as long as the system was clean to start with. It is not rocket science! 25c at the root zone may give optimum growth for cannabis, but if and once you get a fungal infection in the root zone you may well get a quarter or less of the possible yield, than if every thing was optimum. The reason the big commercial growers control root zone temperatures to 20C max is they get a good crop every time even if it is a few % lower that the possible max of a healthy 25C root zone. They are taking 5 to 8 lb per kw of lighting, when you are talking about 50 or 100kw grows every ounce extra per kw adds up, they don’t do anything without a reason, it it worth understanding and seeing what can be extracted from what these people at the cutting edge are doing and adapting it to a few plants in a closet for percy.

That was the reason I pointed you to Giles’s article so you could read about pythium, there are no answers in it, only pointers. Giles Gunstone owns Growth Technology, of course he is going to be commercially biased. But the basic pythium info is fairly sound and just as relevant today as when it was written, ie it pays to know your enemy.

I’m into organics not hydro, I hope what I have said gives you some pointers of where and what to look for.

NMFM on this. Ot1.

thanks oltimer1 - OK now for an experiment to reduce the res temp to 22 deg cel (middle of road that I have been given info on and researched). I will monitor for any signs of pythium, I will also adapt my flow such that the returning res water is sprayed. I will use a T-piece to redirect res water up & out back into the res outletting through a spray tube (hose with pin holes in it). Hopefully the pump has strong rnough pressure to make sufficient aggitation of surface.

I am unaware of the type of pump you r refering to for use to spray the water, but had an aquarium pump (water pump) Fulval canister filter that had a outlet which seems to match what you have indicatedis ok.

I will let you know how I get on - I found the artical at least educational of a possible problem which awareness and means of avoiding/restricting the risk of pythium.

I have some peeps under organic in same room under uv 3 x 60 18" fluros as a back up & will post some pics of root system/Growth and a chart with my recordings now back to 2 - 4 hr obs. Like "sittingrelaxing" says I think I am a perfectionist as if I am making an effort and commitment to something I do go all out firstly to learn vicariously followed up by experience.

btw the optimum room temp is surposed to be 25C-26C,

are you confusing that with optimal water temp........

which as ot say's is not to excede 20C

Thanks heaps once more for you time - I appreciate it.

says I think I am a perfectionist as if I am making an effort and commitment to something I do go all out firstly to learn vicariously followed up by experience.

lol fair play to you bud, you sound like a staunch empiricist........ ;)

tangible proof and all that

where as i'm like most people,idol.........

i surpose i'm more of a relaxed empiricist...

i let cleverer people than me, do the leg work and research.............

i'm willing to trust there judgement and experience.......... :mashed:

saves time for smoking, and growing.......

i'm fcuking idol,i know i am........... ;)

nice pic on the other forum............... :P

sr

Edited by sittingrelaxing

no worries oldtir1 - yes you r right i do come cross as an empirilist and to an extent i acknowledge that fact. if I dont measure & record my experience that i don't know where i stuff up.

I'm not into big time grow, if anything I have medical & financial reasons for getting this right as much as possible. I have fallen an ill fate before (not with growing as did some pretty fine grow in orgainc and no nutes/chemicals).

thanks for all you advice and i am accoadating much of it as possible.

I may come across a litle 'obsessive' but I am in the belief that it is within the above average range to 'normal'.

where as i'm like most people,idol.........

i surpose i'm more of a relaxed empiricist...

I look forwrd to week 8 when something worth posting a pic is available. we pay $320 an oz or $110 A$ here. I'd rather spend money on a new heater for winter to keep well.

Where r u located ?

thanks for all your help.

uk420 is a top site & I know all who put time and effort into it makes it that way - Thanks once more - cya