Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


DANZIG

Bee Keeping

341 posts in this topic
On 6/23/2017 at 1:18 AM, Elvis Reg said:

just found a bees nest in one of the bird boxes I put up more recently. The birds need more time to get used to them so the bees have taken over in the meantime. just going to leave it till they move out and see what is left later on this year.

in a bird box it will msot likely be bumble bees not honey

and if it is honey bees they dont move out  theyre there for ever pretty much

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, borderboy said:

in a bird box it will msot likely be bumble bees not honey

and if it is honey bees they dont move out  theyre there for ever pretty much

 

very depressed to find out they are wasps

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I am shocked that no-one has shared this yet!

I have also always wondered, does any keep bees and see them buzzing around their grows? 

Edited by LavenderPunk

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, LavenderPunk said:

 

I have also always wondered, does any keep bees and see them buzzing around their grows? 

 

 

Bee`s are not interested in plants that spread pollen by the wind mate

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/27/2017 at 5:03 PM, ratdog said:

 

Bee`s are not interested in plants that spread pollen by the wind mate

 

Bees aren't interested in pollen at all its the nectar they want

Share this post


Link to post

@NezA

 

Where did you hear that mate? bee larvae that are chosen to become future queens are fed royal jelly, royal jelly is secreted by female worker bees, it`s comprised of pollen and chemicals from the glands of worker bees

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@ratdog

 

"Honey bees collect pollen and nectar from a variety of flowering plants, including milkweed, dandelions, clover, goldenrod and a variety of fruit trees. Only workers forage for food, consuming as much nectar from each flower as they can. After foraging, worker honey bees return to the hive and pass the collected nectar to another worker. This worker holds the nectar on her tongue until the liquid evaporates, creating honey. The honey is then stored in a cell within the hive."

 

Indeed pollen does play a role but a limited one in general its nectar they're after

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, NezA said:

 

 

 

Indeed pollen does play a role but a limited one in general its nectar they're after

 

 

Yes mate, but you are missing the point of the first post, they do not collect pollen from wind blown plants like weed. They need it to be stationary, if a plant blows it on the wind it doesn`t need insects. 

 

The post is out of context if you take it alone, it was in response to someone thinking bees would be collecting pollen from weed plants, they don`t. 

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, ratdog said:

 

 

Yes mate, but you are missing the point of the first post, they do not collect pollen from wind blown plants like weed. They need it to be stationary, if a plant blows it on the wind it doesn`t need insects. 

 

The post is out of context if you take it alone, it was in response to someone thinking bees would be collecting pollen from weed plants, they don`t. 

 

We're on the same page mate but the primary reason for the disinterest in cannabis is that cannabis does not produce nectar their primary food source. 

 

"The cannabis plant is mostly wind pollinated and therefore has not evolved to attract bees. It does not produce a smell that would attract bees, nor is it colorful and finally, and most importantly, it is unable to provide a reward in the form of floral nectar. As those familiar with Apis mellifera know, it is nectar and not pollen that is required by bees to make honey. But the male plant does provide pollen in some circumstances."

 

My point was cannabis produces pollen, males produce tons of it. If Bees were interested in pollen alone they would still be attracted as males get covered in the stuff regardless of the fact it gets spread by the wind plenty of it stays on the plant.

 

I personally think that cannabis has instead evolved to attract humans and we do the rest for them. 

 

I understand the point you were making though it's just you hadn't covered all perspectives the reasons are all linked though and we are saying the same thing.  

Edited by NezA
Clarity and spelling
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, NezA said:

 

We're on the same page mate but the primary reason for the disinterest in cannabis is that cannabis does not produce nectar their primary food source. 

 

 

Yes, the same as grasses and other plants that let their pollen blow on the wind, most trees included, they would be wasting energy producing nectar. 

 

I was just saying that plants that "spread pollen by the wind" don`t attract insects for pollination, I could have gone into detail but my original post seemed to cover the issue. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@ratdog

 

I read it as though it was the pollen they were after lol and was thinking "I'm sure it's nectar they're after" 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now