Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dan-smokey

Bubbler, Wilma, Autopot Or Flood & Drain For Next Big Grow?

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've been looking to buy a 12 pot flood and drain system for my next grow, I'm currently using a small 6 plant NFT system, but I'm running low on cash. The 12 pot flood and drain systems retail at £500, so I've been thinking about a usng a cheaper option like the AuqaValve pot systems which are only £160 for 2x 6 pot systems. I've seen them on a few sites and was wondering what you lot thnk of em? Am I stupid going for these over a good flood and drain bucket system?

Product Information

post-6338-1206392099_thumb.jpg

Description:

The easy2grow 6 pot Kit is the only complete kit in the world that will water & feed your plants without the need for pumps, timers or electricity, the water supply is gravity fed from the 47ltr tank supplied with the kit. Simply top up the tank every few weeks adding liquid feed at the same time to provide nutrients. Any greenhouse crop can be grown in this system.

The easy2grow 6 pot Kit comes supplied with the following: 1 x 47ltr tank, lid & top hat grommet, 3 x 2Pot tray & lid, 6 x 8.5ltr pots, 6 x Marix discs, the Marix discs are placed inside each of the pots to prevent soil/compost from leaving the pots, 6 x Root Control Discs or RCD’s, the RCD’s are placed in the tray under each pot, gold face up. The RCD’s will prevent roots from leaving the pots and discourage them from heading towards the AQUAvalve. 3 x AQUAvalves are supplied with the easy2grow 6 pot Kit & placed in between each of the 6 pots. All greenhouse crops thrive in this system such as Tomatoes, Cucumbers & Chillies, in fact the easy2grow 6 pot Kit will grow any plant, edible or ornamental. This really is a breakthrough in easy greenhouse irrigation, no other complete system can be left unattended for several weeks and still produce beautiful plants time & time again.

Edited by Owderb

Picture of the AquaValve itself.

Aqua_valve.jpg

I'm looking at starting a bubbler and wondered if they were easy to use? are there any problems associated with them?

From what i've heard and seen here bubblers work well for ScrOG in DWC. I would assume this because all the experienced guys seem to use DWC and bubblers for single large plants. This would mean more veg time and whatnot making it not what I would choose. I personally would prefer an alternative aeroponic system such as an aerojet due to the more even water distribution. Remember, aeroponics leaves the roots exposed making the system necessary to test and monitor daily for ailments such as root rot. Hydroponics isn't quite as succeptable. Hope this helps.

If money is a problem, DIY bubblers do work for some people, but I would opt for a professional design. Remember distribution of the mist is vital to improved success.

BurnaJ

I just finished a dissapointing 1st grow using NFT. Well I say dissapointing, but really I got what I expected from a 1st grow. I used a 25L NFT growing 5 White Rhino plants which I started from £15 seeds. I got around 6oz from all 5 plants which wasn't to bad since I made alot of mistakes all over the place, but thats what a 1st grow is all about learning from your mistakes.

Now that I'm a bit more learned I want to invest in a bigger and better system aimed at higher yeilds. I've just spent the last 9 hours trawling the net for information on all the different hydroponic systems. I reeeally want a flood and drain pot system with the brain buckets, but their like £500 for the one I want! I had been saving for one of these and now have the money to buy one, but then I wouldn't have the cash for all the equiptment I'm short like fans, filters, air pumps, realys for my new 400watters got 6 of them.

I've been looking at some cheaper options like, Bubblers, Autopots and the Wilma system.

I really like the idea of the Autopot system cus it doesn't seem to need much maintanance, but two things worry me about these 1) they need hand watering for a week to root thru to the water in the tray 2) how cheap they are.

Bubblers look good to me. They have little root baskets hanging over bubbling water in a bucket, lots of oxygen. But is this an easy option? what problems can I expect?

And then there's the Wilma system which looks very well made to me. easy to access pots. uses drip feed line in each pot. But the pots are all next to each other in a large tray, while the others can be spaced apart a bit more.

I'm looking for a system that yeilds well, low maintance and is cheap right now.

I'm a serious grower and any help would be greatly apprecited.

From what i've heard and seen here bubblers work well for ScrOG in DWC. I would assume this because all the experienced guys seem to use DWC and bubblers for single large plants. This would mean more veg time and whatnot making it not what I would choose. I personally would prefer an alternative aeroponic system such as an aerojet due to the more even water distribution. Remember, aeroponics leaves the roots exposed making the system necessary to test and monitor daily for ailments such as root rot. Hydroponics isn't quite as succeptable. Hope this helps.

If money is a problem, DIY bubblers do work for some people, but I would opt for a professional design. Remember distribution of the mist is vital to improved success.

BurnaJ

Do you need to veg longer in bubblers? I want to flower my cuttings after a week. And I'm looking for a system thats maintance. Can u think of a cheapish system that I can do that with?

low maintance*

dunno how to edit posts.

I like NFT myself for big yields its easy to manage & as good as any other system imo, wha problems did you have when growing in yours? did you have a well calibrated cf & ph meter?

:doh:

why the hell are all my posts in one post now!? Its a bid mess!

I just wanted to get an idea of how the flood and drain system compares to other cheaper systems?

Hey mate,

I use bubblers myself now and was amazed at the size of the harvest. They are fairly pain free to use up to the mid point of a grow, but once you have an established root mass in them then they need careful monitoring! You'll be amazed how quickly a plant can drink 10 litres when it's in full flow!!

As far as needing to veg for longer in bubblers then i think that's a myth really. You can veg for as long as you like in any system, all you're doing is creaing the root ball really. If you wanted a system to go into flowering after a week in veg then just use smaller pots/buckets cos your root ball will be smaller = smaller yield per plant, but more plants cos pots/buckets are smaller. It's up to you whether you want fewer but bigger plants or more but smaller plants. Although i must say that the larger the bucket the less likely you are to have problems!

Good Points:

Bubblers work really well growing a big plant, but i'm sure you could use smaller (homemade?) ones in a SOG grow and go straight into flowering once your cuts have rooted. Just use smaller buckets.

The plants get plenty of oxygen with massive growth potential.

If you have a power cut the plants wont dry out.

Each pot is it's own resevoir, therefore plants can be fed individually, with their own ph and ec, depending on how much they love nutes.

Bad points:

They do require a lot of work during a grow. You'll need to keep them topped up especially during flowering.

Fluctuations in ph and ec are regular because of how quickly plants sup up their drink.

They can be noisy but will be nothing compared to your fans :wink:

I normally use 20 litre bubblers (about 15 litres really, once net pot taken into account) and grow from seeds. I give them a few weeks from germinating then whack them into flowering, with average yields around 2 - 3 oz dry per plant, under a 250W HPS. I think you could do considerably better than that with your 400W and going from clones.

Hope this helps anyway,

Dan

ps. Here's an AK48 plant grown in my bubbler from a while back:

post-12838-1206458640_thumb.jpg

Cheers Brad, Keep trying mate it's well worth it in the end!

Dan

I'm doing this with a freind, but we're short on cash and cant quite afford the flood and drain we wanted. Thats why I'm looking for a cheaper system. Bubblers look great to me, but I'm not sure my mate would agree. We really need a system with slightly less maintance, cus we both have full time jobs and familys to support, something with a larger resivour maybe.

I'm thinking of either a 16 or 20 pot wilma. they're both 1m square which makes them easy accommadate. but I don't know much bout them.

Auto pots are Great, however if you do go for them make sure you get the 1 pot systems as there is simply not enough space between them, you have the advantage of adding an air cage in the bottom for extra air intake.

The disadvantages are they are messy and you have to flush the medium, and you also have to keep carrying grow bags into the house / property.

Coco does give outstanding results, and I have used them before, but its the mess and carrying things inthe property all the time, I would build a recirc bubbler.

A recirc bubbler with a 90l low level tank is not too much bother, and ph / cf remains more constant.

Or failing the bubbler idea I would go for 1m rockwool slabs on a high pressure drip run to waste system

Edited by sensiman2

I'm thinking of either a 16 or 20 pot wilma. they're both 1m square which makes them easy accommadate. but I don't know much bout them.

your looking at more like 1.2m x 1.2m m8, have you considered the amazon 8? they are 75cm x 85cm if space is an issue. probably better results than a wilma. red/green rizla got 56oz from a pair of amazons with 2 x 400w and 1 x 600w.