Butane Honey Oil

grobag

The freezing is something I always do and have always said on here, just a purge method. In the freezer for 15 mins, back to room temps again then back in the freezer. Repeat 3/4 times, stir it about a bit to release bubbles and everything is purged. Left to it's own devices for a month or two in a wrap and it does go very solid and more hash like. But that's not what everyone seems to quote with 'Budderman' or whatever he is called. He seems to make it and just evporate and whip air into it. Then that's meant to budder that everyone spunks over. Nothing like this method.

That's why it's good to have you about. Of all the discussions I've had about it, you cut straight to the point. :wink:

Sorry mate you posted as I did. I will bend the old brain (or what's left of it) to a little more reading and get back to you. The surburbangrowbrothers thread is quite a good read.

Cool mate. I don't think there's much really to look into though. The freezing and stirring is the method I've settled on, what I've come to think of as decent BHO or budder as people might term it I suppose. Isomerisation is more what I've been thinking about and trying recently. That's where there might be room for improvement I reckon. Have you?

Alright Sun Tzu, thanks for showing grobag that method, and thanks to grobag for showing us. Made good use out of that technique. :blub:

Isomerisation? How's that going gro? Anything interesting to report?

And welcome back to you both too :blub:

Edited by Blayz'd

Cool mate. I don't think there's much really to look into though. The freezing and stirring is the method I've settled on, what I've come to think of as decent BHO or budder as people might term it I suppose. Isomerisation is more what I've been thinking about and trying recently. That's where there might be room for improvement I reckon. Have you?

The "proper" budder, made by the guy in Vancouver, Budderking, seems to have been isomerized given the percentage of THC. I read about Tim Leary's THC acetate years ago but never really went down that road. I'm definitely thinking along those lines now, though.

I'm coming off all the prescription meds for chronic pain now, as cannabis is more effective and won't cause kidney failure, so I'm interested in seeing whether the accepted wisdom that it's the CBD that relieves pain is true or not. I know from personal experience that it's not always the highest CBD containing stuff that helps most, but it's hard to quantify. Sativex contains both THC & CBD. Trying to get almost pure THC has got to be worth looking into, and there has to be an easier way than Leary's method, so yeah, I agree: room for improvement!

Hi there

In choosing a coffee press, are there certain materials that one needs to look out for for safety reasons? My coffee pot has a ceramic inner liner on the lid which I assume is safe. But will the plunger and mesh in most coffee pots always be of safe materials to expose to butane?

In choosing a coffee press, are there certain materials that one needs to look out for for safety reasons? My coffee pot has a ceramic inner liner on the lid which I assume is safe. But will the plunger and mesh in most coffee pots always be of safe materials to expose to butane?

I'd personally always be inclined toward pyrex, because it's clear, so you can see how much colour the butane takes on even through the frost, it can cope with the sudden extreme change in temperature and there's no danger of sparking. There isn't much chance of that happening even with a metal caffettiere. As for the mesh and plunger, as long as it is kept clean nothing leaches into the butane from it. There is some debate over whether butane qualifies as a super-critical solvent, but it IS very selective which is why it works so much better than alcohol extractions. The only thing it picks up is the cannabinoids and a tiny amount of chlorophyll.

The biggest risk with butane (assuming your careful about keeping ignition sources well away), is getting bare skin splashed with the stuff. It can cause frostbite, so always wear gloves and eye protection.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think it's possible to use a flexible dish for the evaporation stage? Like a baking tray or a plastic plate? That way it could be frozen after evaporation and the BHO removed while its brittle. Or will it not become brittle enough?

Do you think it's possible to use a flexible dish for the evaporation stage? Like a baking tray or a plastic plate? That way it could be frozen after evaporation and the BHO removed while its brittle. Or will it not become brittle enough?

The thing is, a plastic plate will also become brittle when frozen. It's better to stick to a pyrex oven dish for evaporation, in my opinion. It will cope with the extremem changes in temp and no danger of leeching anything out of it with the butane.

If you are having probs getting all the honey oil out of the evaporation dish just use a little isopropyll alcohol (available from chemists) to either soften it so it can be scraped up easier, or use enough to dissolve all the oil and store in a bottle. Isopropyll stops the oil from breaking down and losing potency in sunlight, looks nothing like any cannabis extract the pigs will have seen and evaporates very quickly. I used to take BHO in ISO through customs all the time when I worked in Ireland, only got asked about it once and just told them it was tincture of mullein for asthma.

I get what your saying, plastic was probably a stoopid idea. i was just trying to think of way to avoid the scraping process entirely. Maybe i'll give it a go with a non stick baking tray next time.

Thats a wicked idea for carrying BHO through customs tho B)

• 2 months later...

I did it last night.

Put the bowl in some warmish water and it helped it evaporate, it was doing nothing next to my window!

It looked very sandy in appearance, almost like my ice hash i made when first scooped up.

I'm purging it, it's freezing for it's second time now but it definately isn't as honey looking as the flash on my camera made it seem. Is this normal?

Oh, and thankyou grobag for this awesome thread!

post-29048-1241697869_thumb.jpg

post-29048-1241697876_thumb.jpg

post-29048-1241697879_thumb.jpg

how dry do the buds/trim need to be before you gas them?

i just cropped today and wanna try this with the air buds/trim

Very dry, 7 days plus.

Try the ice hash method for just trimmed plants, the result for me was extremely similar.

e2a: Read http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=106827 for advice on dry or not to dry.

Quote from that thread:

Oil:

BHO (Butane Honey Oil):

If you decide that you want to oil wash the trim straight away then butane is the best widely available solvent to use for the purest type of oil - honey oil rather than regular oil. For this process the best results are achieved (plus the highest yields) when using dried trim. I still trim the plants from fresh when making BHO but I dry the trim out separately with the bud. This is also the only method in which grinding the trim could be beneficial but I never bother unless processing high quantities at once. I use a coffee pot in which the trim and solvent can steep, unlike the pipe method. Butane is extremely selective with what it extracts from the plant no matter what timescale is used, unlike using alcohols as the solvent (IPA for example) which I’ll explain next. Making oil involves dissolving the resin in a liquid solvent before filtering it from the plant matter then evaporating off the solvent again leaving just the cannabis oil. You are therefore getting the resin from within every type of resin gland and getting effectively a higher yield of cannabinoids from the same starting material than when making hash. All you are trying to do with the trim before adding the solvent is to dry it out as much as possible as the moisture content interferes, plus increase the surface area of the trim/bud which will be exposed to the solvent. As you are filtering a liquid from the plant matter rather than particles, you can use a much finer filter. Paper coffee filters are the best for this (I double them up), and they have a 5 micron weave whereas the lowest grade bubble bag is 25 micron and best results are achieved with a larger weave again for dry sift. As a result the most effect way of oiling is to break up the trim enough to expose the greatest surface area, but not too much that it will get through the filter aswell; as it does when ground in a coffee grinder when dry. If grinding then a hand herb-grinder is more than ample.

Edited by Weedio

I'm going to be trying this method over the weekend I hope. I have all the items I need to get started, just need the weather to clear up!

Anyway, I have 3 Cans of Butane that I bought in B&Q. 3 Large cans. Only when I got home did I realise that they don't have a connection on it to allow me to spray it into the stainless steal coffee maker seen in this pic - http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?act=...st&id=92568

I think these cans are safety ones or something... I went back into B&Q and they don't have any of those little connection thingys, can anyone help me here..? do i need to replace the cans?