Butane Honey Oil

grobag

Good afternoon.

I thought that I would start this thread for two reasons. Firstly to show, with pictures, the coffee pot method of making BHO; and secondly to show that there is still oil to be had from trim/bud that has had all of it's capitate resin heads bubbled off.

First up, here's a picture of the trim/bud I will be using. It has already been bubbled once and at the time of this picture was on the window cill drying out again. As you can see, there are no resin heads left on the stalks.

post-5967-1157372423_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

You really don't need much equipment to make oil this way. The main thing that you need is a cafatierre coffee pot. The one I use is stainless steel but if you were to use a pyrex one then I assume that you could see what is going on inside once the ice melts off a bit. This is my coffee pot.

post-5967-1157372644_thumb.jpg

You will also need a flat pyrex dish to evaporate in, a coffee filter, 4xwooden clothes pegs and a wire coat-hanger! Oh, and a couple of cans of butane (Newport is the best but any will do).

Bend the wire coat-hanger so that it forms a loop and a handle. Like this:

post-5967-1157372848_thumb.jpg

You can then peg the coffee filter to it and not have to touch it whilst pouring through the liquid butane.

• Like 12

If you take the stem out of the coffee pot (my handle unscrews and it slides out) and put a nozzle from the lid of the butane can in the lid instead. Like so:

post-5967-1157373094_thumb.jpg

Then you can squirt the butane in the top like this:

post-5967-1157373204_thumb.jpg

But be careful because it freezes up like this:

post-5967-1157373305_thumb.jpg

You will need to cover the spout aswell whilst you squirt in the gas. I just use a tea towel.

When you have squirted in both cans of gas, replace the stem and filter back into the pot to slow down evaporation at this point. When it all warms up a bit, it looks like this, so you can see the level of the liquid butane inside:

post-5967-1157373527_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Here's a shot of the trim/bud in the coffee pot before I squirted in the gas:

post-5967-1157373698_thumb.jpg

and here's a shot after, when it is soaked in liquid butane:

post-5967-1157373758_thumb.jpg

I give it a good shake about with the lid and filter/plunger back on to make sure it all gets soaked.

• Like 4

So after it had soaked for about 5-10 mins, it was ready to pour out through the filter, into the evaporation dish. Here is the wire coat-hanger thingy again aswell:

post-5967-1157374055_thumb.jpg

and a close up inside the filter:

post-5967-1157374087_thumb.jpg

Plus a close up of the ice forming on the bottom of the filter to show how cold it all is:

post-5967-1157374116_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Next up comes the evaporation. This is easy with butane as it is a gas at room temperature. Obviously this should be done outside because the build up of gas can be explosive!

I find the easiest method is to put a tub of hot water under the 'vap dish and 2 minutes later it will have all gone. Like so:

post-5967-1157374593_thumb.jpg

Here is a close up of the 'vap dish whe the butane has all evaporated:

post-5967-1157374613_thumb.jpg

And even closer:

post-5967-1157374637_thumb.jpg

Edited by grobag
  • Like 9

Now all you have to do is scrape it all up. IPA can be very useful for this to redissolve the BHO in a few drops to help pool it all into one area for scraping. I just scraped it up with a stanley blade.

I put it on a wrap of plastic for keeping it. If you put this in the freezer, then return it to room temperature a few times, this will purge it of any remaining butane.

Here are a couple of pics of this batch. It is darker than BHO usually is but this I put down to it not being from the capitate heads. Oil from bubbled trim always comes out a little darker for some reason - but it is just as strong.

post-5967-1157374964_thumb.jpg

post-5967-1157374983_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Nice one Gro, might have a bash tomorrow

whats the best amount of trim to use in the coffeepot? Half full or to the top or somewhere in between?

lol

• Like 1

Good stuff gro i still have trim in the tights :unsure: from my last hash making venture , i may too give this a go ;)

looks lovely just like "honey" :unsure:

lol

• Like 1

I find the easiest way of smoking it is to tack a bit onto a knife, gently heat it from below until runny, then spread it into a joint (or cigarette).

Tacked on a knife:

post-5967-1157375462_thumb.jpg

Heated up:

post-5967-1157375481_thumb.jpg

Spread into a roll-up, and this totaly stoned me! lol

post-5967-1157375509_thumb.jpg

Edited by grobag
  • Like 4

good work fella,

just one quick question, why use the coffee filter at all cant u just pour it in the evap dish and let nature take its corse?

• Like 1

Guest Gert Lush

grobag you're a star!

I've got 2 oz. of well-kiffed skuff (soon to be 3oz.) and I'm sitting here thinking, - "ooh, I don't want to use QWISO oil for the jellyhash this time, I'd like something a bit more exotic and flash: BHO! :yinyang:

I was about to look through the threads for ideas, and what do I come across? An illustrated and expanded edition of your cafetiere method! Perfection.

Cheers mate, I'll be doing it in a couple of weeks!

PS: Glad to see you confirmed my idea of using a dash of IPA to make collection easier.

BTW (OT) what on earth do you use as active carbon filter when filtering IPA?

Edited by Gert Lush
  • Like 1

good work fella,

just one quick question, why use the coffee filter at all cant u just pour it in the evap dish and let nature take its corse?

its ok i just figured it :P

smoking in the day eh!!!!!!!

:yinyang:

• Like 1

FD: I find it easiest when the pot is half to two thirds full.

Cheers for the comments guys. :yinyang:

Here's a few more pics of the finished product.

post-5967-1157376277_thumb.jpgpost-5967-1157376295_thumb.jpg

post-5967-1157376314_thumb.jpgpost-5967-1157376331_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I was thinking of using one of these pictures as a new avatar but then I do like the picture of the little trifoliate seedling. Plus I always find it confusing when people change their names or avatars, so I'll keep mine the same for the time being. A lil' puddle of Trichome Treacle would make a good avatar though eh?

Take it easy everyone and have a nice day - I'm off to bloody work now :yinyang:

Rionight: The paper coffee filter is just to make sure that no plant matter gets through into the oil, contaminating it, seeing as it is so pure - it would be a shame to have lumps in.

Gert: From another thread - you can use any activated carbon but it is better to use one with as little powder in as possible as it's hard to filter out itself. I don't bother with a carbon filter though as you loose yield and it doesn't really make much difference - just changes the colour a bit. By the way - their use is only for Iso washing oil anyway, not for BHO, there really would be no point with Butane extractions. :smoke:

Onwards and Upwards.

Gro

lol;)

Edited by grobag