Butane Honey Oil

grobag

nice thread growbag, gonna try and make some oil tonight.

problem is though, i bubbled some trim the other day and took it out to dry off so i could have a go at this BHO.

whilst drying it started to smell a bit damp, it is dry now and i want to oil it but i would like to know if its safe incase there is any mouldy bits in it!

is it safe to butane oil mouldy trim?

cheers for all your helpfull threads on all things hashy

Late reply, but just stumbled on this thread - yeah, even using mouldy weed is cool with the BHO method, and in fact is used by many I know to rescue a li'l goodley summink from major bud-rot disasters. Just be sure to use a filter as fine as a paper coffee filter and the stuff comes out *pristine* <G!>

Again, late I know, but I HTH someone!

(been making BHO since way before I planted my first magic bean).

<Wordectomy>

also what do u do with the left over trim??

once again thanks for the gr8 input..

s.b :stoned:

COMPOST IT!!! This is what I have always done with left-over pot plant matter, wheather for future weed grow use or for any of my other plantings (I didn't/don't always grow hydro/aero). I mean, the stuff is already quite well broken down, and has gotta contain shed-loads of the exact goodies your hungry green mammas are lusting after, eh? 'Swhat I figured lol!

Just a quick throw-in for those asking other ways to collect the oil together outa the evap dish!

1stly, towards the end of evap, tip the dish and prop it like that, so the majority of the oil collects in the 'corner', if you will - this should be easy to get out then.

For the remainder I bung my glass bowl into the freezer for 1/2 hour or so, then remove it and hold it up-turned over a steaming kettle, but *not too close!*, just long enough for the oil to be coated in a thin layer of vapour dew. Next I use a round tipped butter knife/small palette knife, and starting at the outer/upper edges of the bowl, gently let the blade scrape towards the centre/inner base of the bowl, using quick, repeated motions. The oil should just lift off the bowl and stick to the knife, leaving a small amount of *cold* water now in its place, discouraging the oil from sticking back to the glass! May take a little practice for some but it is essentially quite quick and easy ',;~}

Later!

Oh! P.s. BTW also etc. - used to use this method to clean out old and well-used glass hot-knife bottles during those 'desperate times' too :stoned:!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

fffffffffffffffff-ahk!

thank you grobag for this here thread...

i made some tonight, with bubbled trim. makes the bubble seem like throw away smoke. ..

Fu-kin BAH-trd :ouch:

there was something else meaning to say, but its long gone

good method. thanks.

:stoned:

• 2 weeks later...
Fu-kin BAH-trd :smug:

there was something else meaning to say, but its long gone

It worked then! Cool

Nice one chaps, good to see more people trying it. This thread was started to show that there are still goodies to be had even after you've bubbled the trim, but for more a detailed thread on the oilinng method check out my hippy crack thread.

As for collecting up the evaporated oil, a couple of drops of IPA dissolves any of the hard to get bits which you can re-pool together and scrape up again. Then after bunging it in the freezer and bringing it back to room temps, the IPA vaps back off. Just remember only to use a few drops, the minimal amount you can get away with.

:stoned:

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To be honest mine doesn't last long enough for me to try and cure it. I guess it's the same as normal cure where you seal it up in an air tight jar. Over the course of a day it seems to dry out and does become less sticky and much easier to handle until you add some heat.

Mine starts runny and sticky, then gets more viscous, then goes into a partial solid which is easy to handle without it getting stuck to your fingers too much. I just bite anything off my fingers. Can't be wasting that stuff.

post-20749-1229684165_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blayz'd

• 2 weeks later...

A dumb assed question here but an intresting one as I am debating this with my friend...

I know Butane is a Gas but as a Liquid, is it lighter than the extracted oil or does the Butane bond with the oil until it is evaporated off? So would it float or would the oil be held in a Liquid suspension?

Yes I know it boils off quicky but I am curious as to the chemical process.

The Butane is a solvent so the resin is dissolved into it until it's evaporated off - you don't get distinct levels of one on the other.

The Butane is a solvent so the resin is dissolved into it until it's evaporated off - you don't get distinct levels of one on the other.

OK... Another Dumb ass question.

If laws of physics is constant, an oil chain bonded with a butane chain is going to be heavier than just a free butane chain???

OK... Another Dumb ass question.

If laws of physics is constant, an oil chain bonded with a butane chain is going to be heavier than just a free butane chain???

In a non-ionic solution, there aren't really any bonds between between the solute and solvent, oil and butane respectively in this case. The only bonds are weak temporary electrostatic interactions. But the oil and butane can mix so completely due to their similar chemistry that the individual molecules that make up the oil separate totally into the butane, and they are a solution rather than just a mixture.

In an ionic solution, like salt in water, the solute splits into individual charged particles (Na+ and Cl-) which are then surrounded by the water molecules. Water has uneven charge on its molecules, and this means it acts as a solvent to most (all?) ionic compounds. (Organic chemicals also dissolve in water to some degree, but organic chemicals with uneven charge are usually very water soluble).

But yeah, you are kinda right about the solution being "heavier". A solution does have different properties than the components. A solution of concentrated salt in water boils at about 120C (I think) and also freezes lower than 0 too - which is why salt is put on the roads, and metal alloys are solutions of metals, which are used because of their unique properties (strength etc.) compared to pure metals.

Butane boils at minus 0.5 degrees Celsius, but I don't think that oil dissolved in butane will push the boiling point up much like with a salt solution. The reason why saline boils at 120ish is that getting the Na+ and Cl- back together requires a reasonable amount of energy, due to the relatively strong bonds between the ions and water molecules. These bonds are weaker or non-existent in an oil/butane solution.

Right, enough stoned rambling :yep:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Guest berbonberd

great thread im looking to try it out on monday but ive got a couple of questions regarding the coffee pot. if its glass, does the thickness matter much? will it crack from the cold? and during the process do you need to somehow plug up the spout of the pot or is it sorted to just leave it open?