Tonys Cutting Guide

Tony Montana

Thought I would do a little update

It has been exactly a week since I took the cuttings and the first one has shown roots today, I have just left the prop on the window ledge, with the vents shut, I take the lid off each day to refresh the air but thats it. I also make sure the cubes are not to dry which can happen in the hot weather.

They will now go under my T5 and I will gradually open the vents to harder them off over the next few days

post-48082-0-50309400-1314536990_thumb.jpg

Here's a shot just to show their general health

post-48082-0-38390500-1314537068_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

psssssssssstt... Hello Gunner,

I am having problem with my cuttings (first time).

20 days passed, still no joy.

I don't have an electric propagator, got a cheap one. I cut them right under the node (I remembered wrong).

Used clonex,also misted them (a little bit, no run occured), then I put the lid on.

They are in allmix/perlite 50/50. Temperature constant 22-25 degrees.

I placed them 50cm away from 300w cfl, where I am growing banana and red maple from seed.

None of them rooted but they still look ok apart from some cuttings show yellowing on tips since yesterday or day before.

Just touched them with my finger, none of them loose.

It looks like something went wrong on my first attempt,

Shall I put them in water instead of allmix or are they already dying?

thanks

post-64418-0-73303800-1315590834_thumb.jpg

Edited by mediterranean sea
  • Like 1

Quite possibly a bit of stem rot, the stem nearest in the pic looks like it has been too wet but on the whole they arent looking to bad, sometimes cuttings will start going yellow as they begin to root.

There is hope yet

Gunner

Just had a look at the other pic, I bet they root or have already rooted, start opening the vents on your prop, 20 days should have been enough time for them to start rooting

Edited by gunner99

Evening Med Sea,

20 days seems a tad long, but until my last batch i just couldn't get the success every other grower seemd to have with clones. What i found was the key to success for me was to just stop poking and looking at the bottom....leave them alone! Simple, But worked.

Keep them for now, don't chuck until you are sure they are deffo gone...

As i have said, i have only just had some success, but although i didn't have much, i did read that the slight yellowing is a GOOD thing as it shows that the plant is starting to draw on its own reserves to build the root system...

I will defer to gunner and others with more experience, but my 2p.

ATB

Chair.

e2a Gunner, you are quick off the draw my man!!

Edited by Chairman O The Board
  • Like 2

just take 2 of them out, no sign of root. by the way my fault they cutted on the 28th so only 12 days. (seen the label on it :doh: )

too much trainwreck

Edited by mediterranean sea
  • Like 1

just take 2 of them out, no sign of root. by the way my fault they cutted on the 28th so only 12 days. (seen the label on it :doh: )

too much trainwreck

:no:

Leave them alone, for 12 days they are doing ok

Gunner

hi gunner fist Ty very much far your guide

my Q is As you are using root riot cubs have you tried you method with out the clonex ? as i made 3 cuts with out it and all 3 take off 1 did die but that was because i wanted to see how the roots foamed weather it was from the cut or around it. :lucky: 100% first go :lucky::( shame got no wear to keep them hoping to give to a m8 to keep as a mom :sly:

• Like 1
Guest ScumbagGardens

Being organized and well prepared is vital if you want a good return on your cuttings.

I use a heated from Prop,plug it in and whack the lid on before I even take a cut.

As you can see it's nice and humid and ready to rock and roll

post-48082-0-73957500-1313942031_thumb.jpg

gunner

Good tip :) I must remember this for my next round of cuts

hi gunner fist Ty very much far your guide

my Q is As you are using root riot cubs have you tried you method with out the clonex ? as i made 3 cuts with out it and all 3 take off 1 did die but that was because i wanted to see how the roots foamed weather it was from the cut or around it. :lucky: 100% first go :lucky::( shame got no wear to keep them hoping to give to a m8 to keep as a mom :sly:

Hi Billy,

Rooting hormone is not necessary regardless of medium being used. I have taken cuts with and without clonex and they still root fine. A good environment is far more important that rooting hormones. Keep practicing and you will gradually get the hang of it

:yinyang:

Gunner

• Like 1

Hi Gunner

Great thread mate :yep:

...then give them a good misting, I use plain water

post-20078-0-36386600-1315901725_thumb.jpg

As you can see it's nice and humid and ready to rock and roll

post-20078-0-26378400-1315901746_thumb.jpg

These days I try to avoid spraying cuttings directly as in the 1st pic. above - If I want to increase humidity then I'm more likely to simply spray the inside of the prop. lid as in the 2nd pic. above. I've found that spraying them directly increases the chance of them dampening-off (i.e. stem-rot)... as discussed later in the thread:

Quite possibly a bit of stem rot, the stem nearest in the pic looks like it has been too wet..

post-20078-0-32781300-1315902341_thumb.jpg

Perhaps avoided by not spraying the cuttings directly with water in an unventilated environment :unsure: - dunno?

Just a thought...

(don't seem to be able to post images properly today...)

ATB

Stan

• Like 1