Tonys Cutting Guide

Tony Montana

Guest papaduc

He asked if they'd shrivel up and die due to the leaves transpiring. You gave a thumbs up, as if to say yes. That's the bit that's not true. They won't shrivel up if they don't have their leaves clipped and they won't shrivel up due to transpiration. Cuttings are far hardier things than us cannabis growers make out.

Like I say, take a cut, stick it in a pot outside of the humidity dome/prop and see if it wilts. Not only will it not wilt but it will take root. It only wilts if the light is too intense.

Guest papaduc

It reduces surface area of transpiration and also takes a bit of weight of the larger leaves stopping them wilting through gravity ime :stoned:

In me experience the only thing that really makes a cut wilt is too much light on a plant with an under developed root system.

Taking cuttings is madly overcomplicated by us lot. It's like the most daunting thing for some peeps when really our mum's have been doing it with plants from the neighbour's garden and having near 100% success just sticking them in a pot on the window ledge.

Saddam's post typifies it for me. We cut the things under water and all that? wtf is all that about.

About 6 months ago someone told me you can take cuts and not even put them in high humidity and they'll take. No prop nothing. so I tried it. The cut rooted no problem. Since then I never bothered with half the shit I was doing to them and every cut done the simple way has rooted.

My mum used to just stick them in water till they root :stoned:

"Just out of interest, why is that not good then? presumably the plants are gonna shrivel and die if they do due to losing water?"

Gunner was thumb upping this, obvious maybe, but he was answering a newb question

I like to trim the leaves for another reason also though mate, that`s to make more room between the cuts, maybe i need to take small cuts, but i`ve done quite well up to now. I have also rooted with out the prop, but i do find it helpful in cooler weather :)

• Like 1

The way i read that is they are in the darkness for a whole week until you put them under your T5. Is that right? No light for a whole week? :headpain:

My utility room is at the back of my kitchen with a door and a window in it so there is plenty of light in there, cuttings don't need much light to begin with, I find they wilt if the light is to strong. In the darker colder months I just switch the light on in the utility room in the evenings, it still goes off at night and they always root, some folk think cuttings need 24hr light to root but they don't.

OK. So basically light at this stage is not really an issue at all then, as long as they're getting enough. I could quite happily sit them near a window in my flat and just let them be till i get a good rootage! Cheers :yep: i got ya!

Ratdog has got my drift

I ummed and arrhed about sticking this thread up due to the amount of shitfests on here of late. My Opening Post acknowledges there are plenty of other methods but this one works for me and at no point have I said this is the best way or easiest way, just a method that works for me with the resources and environment I have at my disposal.

I thought I would try and highlight a few areas that noobs would be unsure of, size of cutting, what is a node, how much to mist .etc .etc

This website has given me so much for a measly £15, even that is optional, and I thought I would try and give a little back. If you have something positive to say and advice to give then please post in this thread, if you wish to troll then find one of the Reputation Button threads.

gunner

• Like 23

OK. So basically light at this stage is not really an issue at all then, as long as they're getting enough. I could quite happily sit them near a window in my flat and just let them be till i get a good rootage! Cheers :yep: i got ya!

Yep, they don't need a lot of light, even a lamp would do!

gunner

Guest papaduc

"Just out of interest, why is that not good then? presumably the plants are gonna shrivel and die if they do due to losing water?"

Gunner was thumb upping this, obvious maybe, but he was answering a newb question

I interpreted it as though the kid was asking if he didn't clip the leaves the plant would transpire too much and die as a result. I just said it wouldn't. If that's not what he meant, fair enough. Didn't think what I said would cause any offense.

• Like 3

Pap, I've PMed you fella as the thread is getting ruined

You have some valid points, like I said it's just my way of doing things and gives people a starting point which they can fine tune

Gunner

• Like 2
Guest papaduc

mate I've replied and to be honest I think I summed up best in that reply why I posted what I'm posting in here, so here's why..

Tbh gunner, whenever I see heated prop + root riots and a cutting guide for noobs, I just think - disaster waiting to happen. That's just my opinion mate, but you have it down and obviously you're not a newbie to this, which is why I pointed out the bag and pot method, because that method is almost literally impossible to fuck up and I think it should be a pinned method for beginners.

The guide itself for taking the cuts and the methods are sound. I just want people who've never done this before to know there is an even easier way to take cuts and have guaranteed success and how many of the procedures are unnecessary.

Guest papaduc

Just to add to that mate that I actually think this is a slight.. slight step up in level as far as cloning goes. With aeroponics and heated props you can speed up cloning by a day or two... maybe a touch more. But you also do have a slightly harder ideal environment to maintain and a lot of that is dependent on the prop itself etc.

If I was to give one bit of advice to anyone who's never took a cut before, I'd say don't buy a heated prop.

Far as your guide itself goes, it's a sound guide, just not a noob guide. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure 9 out of 10 people will be able to follow it without problems. :yep:

People can take what they want from this thread, like I said it's just how I get my cuttings to root. The truth be told you could take a cutting and stick it up your bum and it would probably root, I just thought I would share a bit if what I have learned. You can take a cutting like I have illustrated an place it in a jiffy, root riot, soil, coco .etc .etc but some people don't even know what a suitable cutting is

My next thread is on germing seeds, all you need is some sandpaper, an ice cube tray, sky + box and a rocking horse :unsure:

Gunner

• Like 8

The truth be told you could take a cutting and stick it up your bum

I've only ever had a 50/50 ratio with that method at best.

:woot: You guys have stolen my method! :rofl:

Good clear guide for using the root riots,

nice job gunner... :yep: