Tonys Cutting Guide

Tony Montana

• 6 months later...
On 21/08/2011 at 5:19 PM, Saddam said:

Nice work m8, thanks for showing us your method. Mine is totally different, my cuts go straight into water, cut at 45º, scarify the bottom 20mm under water, dip in cloning gel, straight into root riot cubes, trim the leaves back, into propagator, light mist and job done. I also starve my mothers before I take my cuts and feed after I'm finished. Each to their own and all that, well done on making the effort.

SH

What's the logic in starving the mum before taking cuttings?  Is it like starving toward the end of flowering?  Does the plant release rooting hormones or something if it's struggling? 

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2015 at 10:56 AM, Tony Montana said:

A little bump for those that are struggling with cuttings

:yep:

@Tony Montana  Hi mate, and thanks for all your work.  I've a question or three.  I couldnt take clones during veg, due to covid related world gone mad syndrome,  and I want to take clones off two plants 4 weeks into flower.  I have a heated (no control) garland prop with four trays and domes, regular height, and I put a thermometer on the base and it's 31c!  I put the top half of an  egg carton on it, and got a high dome big propagator (about 35cm) garland too, that I sat on top.  The temp is about 23c.   Should I follow same method with clones i take, which have buds, and wrap them up in the big prop, and leave them as per your clingfilm method.  How wet should I have the jiffy or root riot plugs?  Should I spray the dome as well before wrapping?

Or is it different when using clones with flowers?   Ive read/watched as much as I can, but this is first time attempting any cloning,  and I have that common paralysis/dread wrapping things in clingfilm!!!  Cloning Anxiety should be a new medical term :(    

I read a guy's suggestion to put prop in a cardboard box with a light hanging through top.   There'll be about I reckon 15 -20 clones.   I could practice with two plants I don't want to flower again (they're growing well though victory red russian xxl - thriving in fact,  old seeds i found in a drawer) to see how it goes, before trying the two plants I Don't want to lose.   

Very grateful for your thoughts as flowering clones I couldnt see in the 17 pages of your thread!    

Mucho grassyass

Pepe

e2a Im thinking of a cfl bulb.  what size would you recommend?  I have some cheap chinese 50w single cob lights I could use, which were fine for seedlings, but not sure for clones - they give off a purple hue, but a few are white light.  From when i was thinking of making my own grow tent as a total noob!  That got shitcanned as my technical abilities are few and far between :)    I have decent leds in the flower tent, which is 1mx1mx2m.  Four plants in there have covered the space completely now.   

Edited by pepe16
light query
28 minutes ago, pepe16 said:

and I want to take clones off two plants 4 weeks into flower.  I have a heated (no control) garland prop with four trays and domes, regular height, and I put a thermometer on the base and it's 31c! 

he's not around atm mate, but what is your temp without the lid on, just the heated base?

i use party cups with lids with the straw holes taped up to create a perfect environment, and you can see through the cups as to when they start rooting, just sit them on the base of a prop, if it's too hot then put some sand in there and sit on that.

4 minutes ago, ratdog said:

he's not around atm mate, but what is your temp without the lid on, just the heated base?

i use party cups with lids with the straw holes taped up to create a perfect environment, and you can see through the cups as to when they start rooting, just sit them on the base of a prop, if it's too hot then put some sand in there and sit on that.

Thanks mate.  I'll check now, I'll sit thermometer directly onto the base

• Like 1
2 hours ago, pepe16 said:

Thanks mate.  I'll check now, I'll sit thermometer directly onto the base

Checked it in hallway.  Temp is over 30c on base, which is way too hot.  Bought it when I knew nothing about propagators.   Ill get a thermo controlled one, and a heat mat for plants in flower tent, as it[s baltic here at the moment.   I have the ice cream cups.  Do you just put soil in yours and whack clone in?  How wet do you make compost before planting?   And how long do you leave lid on?   

e2a - in landing floor, without dome on, and sat on half an egg box, the temp has dropped to 24c.   I suppose I need to put soil in an ice cream cup with lid on and see what that gets up to over night.  Sigh....

Edited by pepe16
1 minute ago, pepe16 said:

I have the ice cream cups.  Do you just put soil in yours and whack clone in?  How wet do you make compost before planting?   And how long do you leave lid on?   

about 2-3 inches of compost, make holes in the cups and water in, not saturating but let it drain.

tape comes off the straw holes at the first sign of roots, then a week or so the lid comes off and when theres a decent bit of roo tball it's into pots.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ratdog said:

about 2-3 inches of compost, make holes in the cups and water in, not saturating but let it drain.

tape comes off the straw holes at the first sign of roots, then a week or so the lid comes off and when theres a decent bit of roo tball it's into pots.

Thanks mate. You've been a great help :) 

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone ever sprayed freshly cut unrooted cuttings with neem soap before placing in a propagator just incase they contain thrip larvae etc?

12 hours ago, BilgePump said:

@darksecrets999 Not personally but I have dunked whole rooted cuts in a bucket of neem solution :yep:

:yinyang:

Yeah I think I’ll just do this. Might be too much stress for freshly cut cuttings

• Like 1