Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

Morning folks,

Thinking about having another go with Coco in the near future,now this ecothrive coco,does it come premixed or does it need added to a 50l bag of canna+ ? Any links to premixed bags,pm if need be.

Also thinking about Growers ark nutrients,just waiting on word back on either hard or soft water options,sure its hard tho.Do they have a grow and a bloom option?

Want to keep it simple,maybe a rootstim for clones.

Tenchie.

up to last year I did 3 grows in coco, when I started calcium def showed up very quickly, if you are in a soft water area you need add, I think you can use same ferts as you would in compost but you need to feed till run off everyday is why I stopped using coco is to much trouble for me.

@Tenchie

23 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Thinking about having another go with Coco in the near future,now this ecothrive coco,does it come premixed or does it need added to a 50l bag of canna+ ? Any links to premixed bags,pm if need be.

The ecothrive coco comes pre mixed! 

23 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Also thinking about Growers ark nutrients,just waiting on word back on either hard or soft water options,sure its hard tho.Do they have a grow and a bloom option?

Want to keep it simple,maybe a rootstim for clones.

They have first feed, grow and bloom A&B. I'd recommend getting those, extra traces and root tonic. You really don't need anything else. 

there are 3 big rules for coco imo first is don't ever let it dry out. Water when the pots are half their original weight, if you follow this you'll end up having to water them everyday which ideally is what we're after. The second is keep it balanced! Coirs cation exchange is fickle, if you start fucking around with the pH too much or start adding stuff like PK the coir lets go of the stuff you want it to hold and starts latching onto all the wrong stuff, calcium and magnesium are usually the first thing the plant looks deficient in - its not that there isn't enough calcium in the solution, reaching for the cal mag will just make things worse. The P and K are increased, so the coir lets go of all the ca and mg, so we increase the ca and mg via cal-mag, and then theres not enough nitrogen, sulpher or trace minerals for everything to be uptaken properly cos all the ratios are out! - most cal/mags try to compensate for this, but if you're not using the same brand A&B as the cal mag its a bit like trying to do a paint by numbers with no eyes and the inability to count. If theres an off-brand PK being added as well then refer back to the previous analogy but take away hands and a paint brush. 

and third, 10 - 20% run off and keep the E.C as low as you can get away with :yep: 

Edited by Golden Syrup
  • Like 6

@Golden Syrup

Much appreciated mate,thanks for the detailed post! So the extra traces is worth it then,adding a ml instead of food,think I get that lol

The a&b is one grow and one bloom? or is it a&b for grow and a&b for bloom? What I mean is how many bottles haha.

Yeah before in coco I was watering every 3 days,then two and eventually daily,always made sure the medium was moist tho.

Some more reading to do I think.

Cheers again.

Tenchie.

• Like 3

Just now, Tenchie said:

Much appreciated mate,thanks for the detailed post! So the extra traces is worth it then,adding a ml instead of food,think I get that lol

Only whenever you're not using full strength! So if you're using 3ml/l of grow or bloom, you'd use 2ml/l of traces. The first feed you can mix up at 5ml/l and use it, it'll come out around the 1.0 - 1.2 mark depending on your water and is fully balanced, at that strength it won't even burn a freshly germed seedling! 

1 minute ago, Tenchie said:

The a&b is one grow and one bloom? or is it a&b for grow and a&b for bloom? What I mean is how many bottles haha.

Theres 2 bottles to each, so if you got the first feed too it'd be 6 bottles. Does get a bit ontop with bottles all over lol 

• Like 2

lol

Gees ohh more bottles! Additives first,then base nutes and then ph,its coming back to me slowly. My ec out the tap is 0.4 I`m sure so 0.6 of base nutes will give me an ec of 1.0?

Talking of fresh seedlings,I have 20 stuck in plant magic soil since Friday,all in 200ml party cups,usually in them for two weeks before potting up,if I decide to go down the coco root with these,I will leave them till the soils spent and they are showing a little hunger before swithching to coco nutes.

Thanks again fella,I aint the brightess at reading and taking notes,more of a show me how once guy if you know what I mean,but you`ve explained it in simple terms,even I think I can get my head around things.

Tenchie.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Gees ohh more bottles! Additives first,then base nutes and then ph,its coming back to me slowly. My ec out the tap is 0.4 I`m sure so 0.6 of base nutes will give me an ec of 1.0?

lol bottles everywhere! With growers ark, i'd recommend keeping an eye on the pH but not altering it, you'll stop checking it eventually cos the plants look so ace. Especially since you're in soft water - if you add the minimum dose of grow food to 0.4 it'll come out around 1.3 or 1.4, which is fine. I'd always start off on this - it's a nice jump from the 1.2 of first feed! IIRC I think 0.5ml/l of GA feed adds 0.5 ec onto the reading. 

6 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Talking of fresh seedlings,I have 20 stuck in plant magic soil since Friday,all in 200ml party cups,usually in them for two weeks before potting up,if I decide to go down the coco root with these,I will leave them till the soils spent and they are showing a little hunger before swithching to coco nutes.

That'll be sweet, its mostly coco anyway lol 

7 minutes ago, Tenchie said:

Thanks again fella,I aint the brightess at reading and taking notes,more of a show me how once guy if you know what I mean,but you`ve explained it in simple terms,even I think I can get my head around things.

Cheers mate I try my best but I'm no clever fucker either lollol 

• Like 2

lol

Yeah I will keep a close eye on the ph bud.Good shout about the plant magic haha Might keep some and fishmix for mums tho.

Think my waters classed as Hard not extremely hard just hard,ph of 7.5 out the tap.

Now I need to grovel for her credit card details.

This should be fun.

Tenchie.

• Like 1

@#soulmate

Cheers buddy,yeah from what I`ve been reading the reviews are good  :yep:

On the Growers ark site just now looking at prices! £140 for grow & bloom nutes and root sim and extra traces,they are all 5 litre bottles tho,guess it will work out cheaper in the long run. Still need to add probally 200 litres of coco to that aswell. Hoping to find somewere online that does both? Maybe grow and harvest,will check them out,cheapest coco I found was £18 but thats from the bay,and im unsure about ordering from there.

Tenchie.

@Tenchie buying coco online isn't the best if you can help it, cos of the delivery and stuff its £15+ a bag, where as if you can pick it up local somewhere you're only looking at paying between £10 - 12.50 a bag.

• Like 2

True mate,I have a couple of local grow shops but tend to avoid incase I bump into someone I know lol Just had a gander @grow&harvest and cant see anything on there.

The nutrients will probally be direct from Growers Ark and the Coco from the bay.

She`s paying anyway  haha

Tenchie.

• Like 3

Hello Guys, new to this whole coco thang, just checking I’m doing it right?

Canna coco pro + 

Base Water is 0.3 EC and pH of 7.0

Im using canna coco A and B at 4ml/L each and 1/2 dose of Rhizotonic (2ml/L), which gives around 1.3 EC and 6.04 pH. Watering until I get run off every 2 days, I’m up to second pair of leaves coming out and looking good so far.........

Edited by Donkeybong

@Tenchie I spent about 120 and its done me two full grows and ive still got easy a third left in a and b just about  to run out of extra traces when I was using cana 1litre products I was at the grow shop every two farts as for cocco I get mine deliverd its more expensive but I have no other way  just don't get of amozon they think its cool to bring it in its own bag

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've got four 18liter pots filled with coir in my main grow tent. Last couple of grows I had "problems" (not a problem per se since the harvest was fine, just thinking it could be better) with the roots only filling about the top third of the pot. What kind of irrigation cycle could make the roots grow deeper?