Coco Thread!

Guest peace&quiet

On 10/3/2017 at 8:16 AM, Green demon said:

Great read!

Not to be taken too seriously though...  over-complex and led me to start inferring things from the EC of the run-off which really didn't matter too much...

Says it all on p2 when it suggests hanging wet laundry in grow-rooms to increase humidity! :huh:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Owderb what nutrients are you using with your charge coco ? If I remember rightly you use growers ark ? Just wondering if non organic feeds would interfere with the beneficials the charge adds ? Also is it suibtible for starting seeds in ? 

Contracted powdery mildew this round :( after doing a bit of research on the matter I came across Biostimulants then realised that the tub of charge I had was infact the sort of product I was looking for 

think I’ll go with their bags of coco next time 

I asked the same question but I was assured it didn't by the guys at my local shop who know and spoke to the guys at Ecothrive although they did say it would be less beneficial if you feed strong

I never or rarely go above 1.4-1.5 anyway and yes I use just the A+B Growers Ark coco feed with no additives

I personally think that when using charge you can feed slightly lower than you usually do

Owd

• Like 2

@Owderb so you don’t use Root Tonic? 

I love Growers Ark stuff, and the guys there reckon it’s the most important additive... but if you don’t use it, I can see no reason to as your grows are always out of this world.

Im currently been giving mine a weekly tea of the ecothrive biosys, i been feeding with canna a and b through the week and currently 5 weeks in flower, this is the top of the pots 

large.20171020_105013-1-1024x1466.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers for that @Owderb I’ve never got much more above 1.2 with my feed and low background ec . Spot on I think I’ll go for it then :) 

Edited by OddNut
Typo

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2017 at 10:28 PM, Owderb said:

I asked the same question but I was assured it didn't by the guys at my local shop who know and spoke to the guys at Ecothrive although they did say it would be less beneficial if you feed strong

I never or rarely go above 1.4-1.5 anyway and yes I use just the A+B Growers Ark coco feed with no additives

I personally think that when using charge you can feed slightly lower than you usually do

Owd

Interesting to read you keep the EC fairly low, do you start with a low EC out of the tap? And how high would you go without the charge?

My background ec is 3 and like I said in my post rarely go above 15. 

I'm not going to tell folk what ec to use because there are a lot of factors that can change the way you feed like your environment for example

Owd

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm using Ecothrive Charge coco now after seeing so many recommendations on here, just wondering if people leave it as it comes or does anyone add any additional Charge as a top dress or something later on?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just spent a good half hour or so trying to find some good posts I read recently about EC levels from rooting to chop but can't find them anywhere. I'm switching to Grower's Ark's nutes now so thought it's a good time to review a few things too. What strength EC is best to start rooted cuttings/seedlings? My background EC is 0.4 so I'm thinking of adding First Feed/Grow to make it up to 0.7 EC to start then gradually up it towards a max in veg of 1.0-1.2?

Does anyone use GA's First Feed for young plants? When do you start them on Grow?

Also, if in doubt is it good practice to feed lower strength and then increase feed strength when the plant show signs of hunger? I'm thinking more so in flower as I think I have previously done the opposite and used too much then had to correct that overfeeding.

5 minutes ago, dingo bingo said:

Hi everyone, just spent a good half hour or so trying to find some good posts I read recently about EC levels from rooting to chop but can't find them anywhere. I'm switching to Grower's Ark's nutes now so thought it's a good time to review a few things too. What strength EC is best to start rooted cuttings/seedlings? My background EC is 0.4 so I'm thinking of adding First Feed/Grow to make it up to 0.7 EC to start then gradually up it towards a max in veg of 1.0-1.2?

Does anyone use GA's First Feed for young plants? When do you start them on Grow?

Also, if in doubt is it good practice to feed lower strength and then increase feed strength when the plant show signs of hunger? I'm thinking more so in flower as I think I have previously done the opposite and used too much then had to correct that overfeeding.

Hi @dingo bingo

My tupence...

I usually buffer inert coco (cheap coco flushed to hell and back) with 0.4 - 0.6, and that seems to be OK. My tap water is between 0.2 - 0.3.

I don't use GA nutes, so can't add to that.

I use Ionic grow, with a little cal mag, from the very first day and build up ec to 1 over a few weeks. I seldom go over 1.2 - 1.5 though, as has been said, its strain dependent among other things. The Elvis beast was on 2.0ec at least - I only checked ec for curiosity because I was feeding very high.

I stopped measuring ec because I got it wrong relying on figures more than I now get it wrong looking at the plant. When I switch to 12/12, I keep the ec, or ml per lt, the same as it was at the end of the veg and I tend not to have to up it much if at all.

I think best to avoid hungry plants if possible...

Good luck and healthy growing! :v:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Confused- I gathered that I need to mix perlite with the coco and now I've read here that coco does not need mixing with perlite. This is for an outdoors grow. what do you experts think? cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a couple bags of ecothrive coco.  

Does anyone know if you use the recommended biosy additive once a week, if it’s still ok to use a rooting additive at the same time?

Is it still needed?

Edited by custard ears