A Brew Guide for Essence

ZeroZero

i've completely screwed essence up by leaving it to do it's thing and hoping for the best. when i'm at home for long enough to keep checking the temps every half hour i can manage to maintain it at an ideal temp and it is still frothing 12 hours later, when i mess it up it is just a brown liquid wit no froth and some stuff floating in it. I assume that when i messed it up it either went above 35c or below it lower limit. ( i think Webby said this was 29c when i asked him what i'd done wrong).

When i brew up a batch of essence i just sit the container i am using to brew in on the base of a heated propagator. It works perfectly fine this way and i can tell because ive never had an outbreak of LSF since using the product. i have never checked the brewing temps or anything, i just let it do its frothy thing!!

Guest Mr.Greengenes

Expensive business! Around 30 squid for the whole kit (I thought an extra airstone/pump wouldn't hurt!) and now another £21 for a bloody heater.

Will I ever get my big posh fan I need?! :rofl: Ah well if it sorts the problem what the hey!

I'm also wondering about lower temps, like 28 degs. Seems to have stopped the attack, but I didn't get massive frothing, just a light foam.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the brew to start frothing up? I have just made one to Pro Libs guide. Its bubbling away now but hasnt really gone frothy. The essence was added about 40 mins ago with catalyst and 1ml of boost which was recommened by webby. :wink:

Thanks

Gragz

I'm not really sure cos I start mine and then leave it upstairs until done but I think its a few hours before it starts producing noticeable froth...sure someone will confirm or deny soon enough.

I'm not really sure cos I start mine and then leave it upstairs until done but I think its a few hours before it starts producing noticeable froth...sure someone will confirm or deny soon enough.

Ah thats reassuring as it took me a while to get all the bits together and its my first run. It says in the guide after a few mins so i was hovering round expecting some volcano like effects :yahoo:

Cheers Withnail

ok im going to update this thread with a few little observations i have noticed and hopefully answer some of the questions on here at the same time.

right firstly temp,i use a no variably heated prop,i.e an "on or off" prop which is supposed to be about 23-25C and when i brew up the highest the temp gets to is when i reheat the molasus and water mix ,befor adding the essence, and then i fully expect the temp to ,over the next few hrs, drop to about 23-25c and leave it for 12 hrs, now even in this cold weather we have had the temp isnt going to be 23-25c but lower maybe 20-23c because of the air temp effecting the body of water ,i have neer tried to keep the temp up above this in any way,it still froths up like a mad un. :rofl:

i assume this is because in the first few hrs the multiply alot and with the heat from below give them a good temp to multiply and ,for me they do :)

ok now the FROTH and NON FROTH problem and a potential reason why

I have a new and old batch of essence and have noticed there is a difference not in ow effective they are but in look and in what happens when brewing up....

The ,what i call "new" batch is firstly different in colour from the "old" batch, appearing to be a very very pale, pastel green

when used to brew up instead of the old batch i have found it reacts differently to what i normally expect.

Firstly it doesnt bubble as much as the "old batch" and i have found it better to leave it for 24 hrs brewing rather than 12hrs like the "old batch" and even after 24 hrs brewing it will barley be maybe an inch of froth ,where as the old batch is litteraly over a litre of froth and spilling over the edge.

I think the most likely reason for the change would be at manufactureing level but i have been informed that the the new pastel green batch is supposed to have more trichoderma in than the older sandy yellow batch.

The "old batch" is a light sandy colour and wen brewed will do as is said at the start of the thread.i.e froth alot and quickly and be ready to use in about 12 hrs, these times are give or take a few hrs i just stuck to those 2 time periods

i have started mixing them both at a ratio of 50/50 and am getting some stunning results, almost lost a few mums and dads then spray the 50/50 mix on them and watered them with it and new growth cant wait to grow out .

this is just from observation or what i have been told and hope it helps ,sorry for mispelling to, my keyboard is a little screwed :ninja:

ill take some pics of the 2 differnt ones so you can see the difference in colour

Guest Mr.Greengenes

Thank you.

I relied on an aquarium heater to bring the temps up from cold, and added the essence when it was only 23C, so I hope I got away with that. It's increasing now. Looks like I have the new green stuff...the instructions still say 12 hours, so is that ok, or is it essential to go the full 24 hours?

• 2 weeks later...