A Brew Guide for Essence

ZeroZero

The way I see it there's too much food in the mix, ie molasses and seaweed extract. The essence or the microbes go on a feeding frenzy rapidly multiply and use up the food then when it runs out they slow. Bigger vessel would be better, heating up the water gets them going more quickly but also takes away oxygen, the intense bubbling of the water is going to inhibit fungal growth and benefit bacterial growth which for foliar aplication is a good thing. I expect the majority of the froth is the molasses.

I would say use a bigger vessel, 5ltr min with just 10ml seaweed and the same amount of molasses (for 5ltr).

I've never used the essense but the brew guide seems very intense to me not to mention messy! Haha just slow it down a bit and you'll get more from it... Slowly slowly catchy monkey

The way I had it explained to me was the foam is caused by protien breakdown products from the bacteria's metabolism. So it's a good guide to when you have the most bacterial activity. You can perk them back up with another shot of molasses but it's best to make it up and use the solution quickly. The reason being you want to use it as the Trichoderma spores are germinating but before they have grown by any significant amount.

As I Zimbra points out the rapid agitation from aeration is not beneficial to fungal species as their hyphea are quite delicate and easily broken. The bacteria in Essence are great for out competing fungal infections but to really noble them you need a live population of Trichoderma to attack invading fungi.

In short use it up quickly :smoke:

When you first start brewing the Essence the culture multiplies very quickly, you have a huge surge of activity going on in the mix, they are all multiplying and feeding at a vast rate.

A heaped teaspoon of mollases per litre of mix is adequate, this is ample to feed the culture and sustain it. When the bubbling calms down, this isn't a bad thing. Some people use a drop or two of vegetable oil to actually stop the frothing in the first place. The frothing reduces as the culture has expanded to adequate numbers, almost as if they are nudging each other out of the way. To put into perspective, with each batch (the powder) that is made tests are done and an analysis is sent back from the laboratory. The results are vital to know what is going on and to ensure the numbers are their and in most instances you might see the culture multiply by 10 or 12 times, but you will also recieve a count called "TMT", this is "Too Much To count" i.e. they are by the millions. The TMT reading is when there is no more frothing so in other words one might deem this the best time to apply the mix :yinyang:

• 3 weeks later...

whelp. I hate to be a spoil sport (no I don't) but.................

I have found that just by having molasses and water with an air stone going, produces a lot of instantaneous foam. But not always. So...... whats going on?

Guest The Sheriff

Heya , on the time to brew , its really dependent on the what you intend the brew for fungi , bacteria or bit of both dom brew , earlier the better for fungal as the hyphae is extracted first , longer for a bacto one .

Personally Randalizer i wouldn't brew any longer than 50 hrs any brew , flagellates and amoebae move in when the bacto have finished ur sugar once there gone ull need to reapply fungi/bacto plus ur food sources etc , good luck .

who was that stranger? :russian:

thanks sherrif! :( What I do is bubble in cold water my hi P bat poo and green sand for a very long time. This is to help break down the potassium (K, in green sand) and phosphorus (P in the bat poo) in those items. Both are sandy and take a long time to break down, and in an indoor grow I want them to be relatively readily accessible. I call this mix my BMC (Bloom Mix Concentrate). It's not so much a brew as a nutrient solution.

The BMC gets added to my normal teas which bubble for 24-48 hours.

Edited by Randalizer

Guest Robert Plant

what can i use as a wetting agent guys? anything id have around the house or summat i can pick up down at B&Q?

Guest The Sheriff

Heya , i use maxicrop , seems Vitax organic seweed is more readily available , yukka extract would be the one to source .

Guest Robert Plant

so really i dont have to add anything to the esscence then, coz were already adding maxicrop to it anyways?

cheers Sherrif

Google around for Westlands Compost Wetter, although it might have been called Spreader, i forget, OT1 mentioned it. I got a bottle for a few quid only off the net and the amount you need to use it will last a life time.

hi,sorry if iv missed guys but when the essence is brewed r eady,once in the spray bottle just how long can it be kept in there active so to speak??...a couple days,a week maybe??

and would it need to be kept at like room temp22 to 28ish degree c kinda to keep 'GOOD'..or what ever??...thankyou.. :fuckyou:

e2a. sorry just seen it...SORRY!!...

Edited by bizzaro73

Guest Robert Plant

hey Bizz, you have to use it pretty much straight away dude, ya cant leave it lying around or owt :fuckyou: what do you use as a wetting agent mate?