Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Default Attribute

Mystery Oil

144 posts in this topic

The sample of mystery oil was at a concentration of 12PPM, when compared to the amount of butane used to collect that amount (the 50+ cans or however many).

The mystery oil is then analysed, giving the PPM of things like Benzenamine. This PPM for the nasty chemicals, is just in relation to the mystery oil, not the initial entire amount of canned butane.

Exactly my point m8, so if it's the PPM of the oil tested (and not the entire amount of canned butane) then it's one part per trillion of the original sample. Why confuse people by saying millionths? Afaik it's not used as a scientific figure.. a millionth of a millionth of a gram? wtf? lol Or a millionth of a million parts? :wallbash: Just seems odd to me. lol

eta- For example, you wouldn't say a tenth of a hundredth would you? You'd a say a thousandth. Maybe it's just me. lol

Edited by Saddam

Science is odd. :rofl: I think is done in PPM for simplicity, but it has given us confusion. Will wait for a science minded person.... :wassnnme:

Umm, yeah lol To keep everything simple, I always thought scientists/chemists used the original sample as the reference point for continuity so it's either PPM (million NOT millionth) of the original sample.. whether it be the canned gas (12 ppm) or the pure mystery oil sample...

Or to keep it simple.. parts per trillion of the original canned gas. If you start saying millioths of millioths, things can get confusing. For me anyway. :)

Seeing as the first gas chromatograph printout is listed in PPM for the oil sample then the second is listed in

ug/kg which is micrograms per kilogram lol it just adds to confusion because 1000 ug/kg=1ppm. Or 1,000,000,000ug in a kg. lol

I'd have just listed all the chemical components in parts per trillion when compared to the original sample of canned gas. Not that it really matters, we're talking infintesimally small doses here. :)

Sorry if I've melted anyone's brain.

:yinyang:

Edited by Saddam
1 person likes this

Ha, I didn't realise I put millionth and billionth. :rofl: I meant Parts Per Million and Billion. :D Far too lean to be doing numbers :D

Edit; I get your questions now, think I got you proper confused. Sorry fella. :D Didn't mean to put the th on million and billion. That would, as you said, be millionths of billionths and all that. :D

Edited by KingBlueRizla
1 person likes this

here's the latest. from what i surmise is hasn't been found in the BHO sample supplied to the lab, as of yet, but this could be because of two things.

1. the lab equipment isn't calibrated, or the right kind to find it

2.its in such low concentrations within bho that its difficult to detect.

edit 3. its just not there :)

i could have missed something so take a read for your self

"i have had some BHO tested and preliminarily say that any contaminants are not showing as of yet- no "I have yet to receive the chromatogram (I will post as soon as I do), but Travis ran the BHO sample at the standard dilution rate for an HL Potency test and was not able to see the "unique peak" he was hoping to.

This should help explain why the labs (as some have wondered) have not noticed the Mystery Oil, IF PRESENT, during standard potency testing. The concentration of the individual compounds of the MO in the BHO is low enough, that once diluted, the UV MS analysis is not reading the peak.

As for the presence of the MO in BHO, no solid clues yet. Travis is going to run the sample again at a higher dilution rate. We should know more on Monday about his results.

I have not heard back from Specialty Analytical regarding their search for "pure samples" of the 12 MO compounds of interest. I will follow up with Marty on Monday, but I am confident things they are moving forward toward identification and quantification of the MO and its compounds.

Have a great weekend!
"

Edited by Sancho Panza
2 people like this

could it be clinging to the matterial inside the tubes ? wonder if it would be found on the material after blasting

3 people like this

I do not think that it rests on the material, but I do know that it clings to the activated carbon.

1 person likes this

Hi all! back from vacation and would like to clarify a couple of things'

While MO Jack claims to have discussed my sample with Specialty Analytical, the program manager said that they did not and never discuss one clients project with another without a written release. I am forced to choose who to believe; the professionals at the lab, or Mystery Oil Jack, whom has also announced on our site, that he has a SCFE CO2 unit on order from Eden Labs, and will be in direct competition to BHO extracts.

Even at the higher PPM rate in the butane that MO Jack reports, the residuals of the evil spirits left in the oil that I collected, would be in the parts per trillionth, or 1,000 to 1,000,000 times less than the published permissible exposure limits.

Running additional tests may better quantify the aromatics discovered, but a the levels that have been demontrated by actual GC/MS testing, it would take something akin to Sarin Gas?

I published the list, replete with CAS# on multiple forums, for anyone to express concern and share deeper knowledge, and have yet to receive any input.

I am working a joint project with Specialty Analytical, to devise a simpler method of measuring PPM, since we no longer need a huge sample for determining what is in it. I plan to test the different brands of butane typically used for extraction, as well as the 99.99% pure n-Butane from Airgas and Praxair for comparison.

For those of ya'll with a proclivity in math, consider that 180 ppm contaminants in canned butane is far purer than 99.99%. The 99.99% of course includes Propane and Isobutane, while canned butane mixes them on purpose, so the comparison isn't direct, but the reagent grade could still contain 180 ppm mystery oil and still be 99.99% pure.

I made this point before but am still not convinced it's not a possibility. Volatile compounds like benzene and toluene are atmospheric pollutants sometimes present in tiny quantities in the atmosphere; I should imagine there are various oil vapours likely to be found in tiny quantities in the air. As soon as the butane exits the pressure vessel it is sprayed through the atmosphere, however you contain it, and at any point after that and before its total evaporation it has the opportunity to dissolve those compounds out of the atmosphere. Are we quite sure the mystery oil was in the butane and not in the atmosphere the butane passed through as a fast vapourising liquid in a fine spray?

here's the latest. from what i surmise is hasn't been found in the BHO sample supplied to the lab, as of yet, but this could be because of two things.

1. the lab equipment isn't calibrated, or the right kind to find it

2.its in such low concentrations within bho that its difficult to detect.

edit 3. its just not there :)

i could have missed something so take a read for your self

"i have had some BHO tested and preliminarily say that any contaminants are not showing as of yet- no "I have yet to receive the chromatogram (I will post as soon as I do), but Travis ran the BHO sample at the standard dilution rate for an HL Potency test and was not able to see the "unique peak" he was hoping to.

This should help explain why the labs (as some have wondered) have not noticed the Mystery Oil, IF PRESENT, during standard potency testing. The concentration of the individual compounds of the MO in the BHO is low enough, that once diluted, the UV MS analysis is not reading the peak.

As for the presence of the MO in BHO, no solid clues yet. Travis is going to run the sample again at a higher dilution rate. We should know more on Monday about his results.

I have not heard back from Specialty Analytical regarding their search for "pure samples" of the 12 MO compounds of interest. I will follow up with Marty on Monday, but I am confident things they are moving forward toward identification and quantification of the MO and its compounds.

Have a great weekend!"

May I put a couple of things into perspective. A gas chromatograph only measures retention time in the column, while a mass spectrometer breaks down the single gas chromatograph peak into its component peaks. A number of things can have the same retention time in a given column, at specific operating conditions, but they don't have the same component peaks.

One hydrocarbon may be mistaken for another, especially at the parts per millionth and parts per billionth levels that we measured, but they won't be very far off when considering their overall constitutes, and the difference in toxity is typically considered moot at those levels by hygienists.

Edited by Graywolf
1 person likes this

I made this point before but am still not convinced it's not a possibility. Volatile compounds like benzene and toluene are atmospheric pollutants sometimes present in tiny quantities in the atmosphere; I should imagine there are various oil vapours likely to be found in tiny quantities in the air. As soon as the butane exits the pressure vessel it is sprayed through the atmosphere, however you contain it, and at any point after that and before its total evaporation it has the opportunity to dissolve those compounds out of the atmosphere. Are we quite sure the mystery oil was in the butane and not in the atmosphere the butane passed through as a fast vapourising liquid in a fine spray?

Positive. I used a can tapper and injected into a vacuum, with no exposure to atmosphere.

Trust me, its there, just in very low amounts.

1 person likes this

thanks mate

thanks mate

Your're welcome, and it was a good point. Things like Benzene are present in the air we breath at levels greater than parts per trillion, from the automobile exhaust and evaporating gasoline.

4 people like this

Your're welcome, and it was a good point. Things like Benzene are present in the air we breath at levels greater than parts per trillion, from the automobile exhaust and evaporating gasoline.

maybe the kind of quantities we are talking about would likely be present anyway in bho as we ordinarily use it, dissolved from the atmosphere in that way?

Edited by Ishmael