Photo
- - - - -

Airing cupboard grow box testing conditions??

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 happyisme

happyisme

some days are better than others

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:49 AM

Happy Friday to all here at UK 420!! :rofl: It is Friday night and all I want to do is continue researching on my project. :D I have posted my first thread in Design and Location, all through this week. Since I have designed and built my grow box and well placed in the right location, it was time to change subforums. So here I am!! First off the bat, I have several questions regarding my test runs. Though a small synopsis of the grow box, location, and environment to start it off.

Grow box - The dimensions, given in feet, 2' x 2' x 3’ (approximate 61 cm x 61cm x 91cm) are the overall measurements. Subtract 5 cm from L x W and 2.5cm from height that is the roundabout size inside the box. If calculated for volume, 0.3 m³ or 9.3 ft³. And lined the walls with white sheeting.

Location - Top portion in the airing cupboard

Lighting -1 SonLight FLUO 200W Red - 2700K and 1 Sonlight FLUO 150W White - 6400K

Environment - Noctua, which is a processor fan- 140 mm that has Rotation Speed of 750-1200 rpm and the air flow of 41.9-64.9 cfm (I sure am hoping this will be sufficient). Stripping the wires and connecting to a Mains Adapter (12 V Max), it gives me the option of having three speed settings. Attached with duct tape and silicone the flexible 6 inch ducting went straight through the attic. One moment and let me back up, I let out a crucial part. Before placing the grow box in the grow area, I covered half the wall and ceiling (where my passive intake is located) with black sheeting, the reverse side of what's in the box. This is to protect it from light reflection the cupboard door will be cracked if not open most of the day. There is about half a metre of flexible ducting sticking through my attic floor (I will provide pictures later). To ensure no light will enter I built an inside light trap. So far so good!! And speaking of light traps, I used 2 carbon filters (the type you use an aquarium filter) to protect my passive intakes.

Installed 1 Hygrometer-Digital and 1 Digital temperature gauge. In addition, from an old Dell Computer, I removed both of the PC fans, one is 80 mm, and the other is smaller but not sure of the size.

Also, installed 1 Gang Lead inside the box and one on the outside, this will give me what I need for the electrical. This is the skinny of what has been done so far.

And pictures to prove it. :smoke:

ps. I will take a short break and be back with the questions. lol ;) :guitar:

Attached Thumbnails

• grow_box.jpg
  • gauges_passive_intakes.jpg
  • passive_intake.jpg
  • airing_cupboard.jpg

Attached Images

• 140mm_fan.jpg

#2 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:30 AM

Okay two days ago I installed the 200w CFL. Testing the environment with 200watts, having the door closed, and lights off, it was like proof. Two-hour intervals are what’s to come. The weather forecast for that day, given by Sky News: (approximate) 16°C, mostly cloudy, and humility 82% (i have documented a lot more stuff, hopefully it doesn't make me a stickler, but we like data). Okay back to the point...

First interval @ 11:30am

Temperature inside box: 20.5C (this is at the very beginning right before I fired up the CFL)
Temperature in airing cupboard, I have a cheap garden thermometer right outside the grow box. And that reading: 22C
Humidity inside the box: 47%
-extracting fan running at high speed, 12v.

Two hours later, and what a surprise!!!
Temp inside box: 42C (that is not good)
Humidity inside box: 20%

Solutions: added a small bowl of water + added large wet sponge, which was placed in a zip lock bag with lots of holes punctured + added 80mm pc fan + gauges, approximately ,5 inches below the CFL.

Close the box, pulled down the drape (covers the grow box when you open the airing cupboard), and left the airing current door open.

Second interval @1:45 pm

Temp outside the box: 22C
Temp inside box: 36C
Humility: 22%

Improvement, but we need better!! So the next course of action was to leave the cover-up (drape), remove the grow box door, and add a 6” fan inside.

30 minutes later:
Temp inside: 29C
Humility: 28%

Improving, but we need better!!

Third interval@ 3:30 pm
DARK PERIOD
-extractor fan @ 12v
- bowl of water
- large wet sponge
-80mm fan, operating

Two hours later:
Inside temp: 24C
Humidity: 38%

Improved a lot, however, those are the readings needed when lights are on!!

Fourth interval: 6:00pm
DARK PERIOD
Identical - readings of the third interval

As you can tell, I have much work ahead. I would greatly appreciate any experience given!! Thank you!!

#3 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:26 AM

What do you have planned to stop the exhaust stinking out your house and maybe next door ?

#4 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:02 PM

What do you have planned to stop the exhaust stinking out your house and maybe next door ?

Hi compostverte, thanks for stopping by and asking great questions. :censored: My solution is for the exhaust fan, to carry the smell into the attic, and expecting it to dissipate. The snapshots below shows the exhaust ducting coming from box, and the other shows the vent in the attic. I do live in a semi-detached house, which is divided with an 8-inch block wall from my neighbour. The house is in an estate with 52 other homes (lots of space in between). The estate is on the outskirts of a small village and the weather is always windy (not sure if any of that matters). Hoping my exhaust system would be sufficient!! I will be growing Northern lights & AK-48 (read that the strands are low in order). I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the exhaust system and smell of strands!!! Cheers my friend!! :fuckyou:

Attached Thumbnails

• exhuast.jpg
  • exhuast2.jpg
  • exhuast_light_trap.jpg

#5 ege bam yasi

ege bam yasi

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

wow you a busy guy good luck with the grow dude :censored:

Edited by jabahut, 28 August 2010 - 02:09 PM.

#6 lebowski_dude

lebowski_dude

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 02:17 PM

You really need a proper extraction fan and carbon filter happyisme.

Without it you're taking a big risk...
Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the fact you're a goddamn moron.

#7 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 03:32 PM

Cheers for stopping by lesbowski!! Now i’m paranoid and starting to get freaked out! lol After doing so much research, really felt I have got what was needed for the exhaust. However it had crossed my mind after reading so many threads that I might need a carbon filter. What do you recommend??? Thanks so much for your help guy!! :D

#8 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

In such a small space, just the improved air flow alone will have a huge effect on yield.

Have you had a look at Blab's bonsai thread ? His mk2. box had 250 watts of fluorescents and some serious ventilation. You could hide the fan and filter in the attic.

I grew unventilated for years - but I was going through some shit at the time ...
My house used to honk. Luckily I'm pretty well invisible and I live in a very laid-back area and the neighbours smoked like chimneys and had a smelly dog and a liking for cheap aftershave and shake and vac ...

I won't grow like that again - if only because there are eager PCSOs patrolling these days.

Edited by compostverte, 28 August 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#9 lebowski_dude

lebowski_dude

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:22 PM

the neighbours smoked like chimneys and had a smelly dog and a liking for cheap aftershave and shake and vac ...

They sound like nightmare neighbours....

unless you're growing weed :rolleyes:
Walter, I love you, but sooner or later, you're going to have to face the fact you're a goddamn moron.

#10 lebowski_dude

lebowski_dude

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 07:27 PM

The cheapest fan and filter package that Green's do will set you back just shy of £100. You might be able to find something cheaper on fleabay but IMO that's not worth the risk for saving a few quid.

You can get away without one while your plants are in veg, but once they're flowering it's essential. Even the relatively low odour strains still have a fairly unmistakable smell... :rolleyes:

You don't want plod turning up at your door for something routine and catching a whiff :rolleyes:

#11 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:08 AM

In such a small space, just the improved air flow alone will have a huge effect on yield.

Have you had a look at Blab's bonsai thread ? His mk2. box had 250 watts of fluorescents and some serious ventilation. You could hide the fan and filter in the attic.

I grew unventilated for years - but I was going through some shit at the time ...
My house used to honk. Luckily I'm pretty well invisible and I live in a very laid-back area and the neighbours smoked like chimneys and had a smelly dog and a liking for cheap aftershave and shake and vac ...

I won't grow like that again - if only because there are eager PCSOs patrolling these days.

Niceone compostverte, thanks for the info!! :stoned: I will start chipping away at bonsai labs massive thread (has to be the longest thread on UK420!!), it looks to have loads of good stuff. Really appreciate ya stopping by and sharing good experience, more the merrier!! ). Cheers my friend!! :rofl:

#12 leng

leng

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:29 AM

do u not know of any grow shops they should be able to do you a deal on fan and filter i run a 5" systemair rvk fan with matching rhino pro filter the lot came in at £125 which when you think about it it will probably be the best invested money for your secret grow op you will spend..... with out them your jus asking for trouble mate.

i personally recommend going for the rhino range of filter because i used the cheap version filter and it only lasted 8 week or so for it not to be doing its job. it ponged mate and i wasnt even in flower yet.. the rhino soon solved that problem tho

PEACE

Edited by leng, 29 August 2010 - 12:59 AM.

#13 compostverte

compostverte

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13993 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:32 AM

the neighbours smoked like chimneys and had a smelly dog and a liking for cheap aftershave and shake and vac ...

They sound like nightmare neighbours....

unless you're growing weed :v:

It came through the walls. ...:headbang:

Though I think I actually preferred that to when the next person moved in and was burning gut-wrenching joss sticks to try to get rid of the stench. :thumsup: :yahoo:

#14 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 12:51 AM

The cheapest fan and filter package that Green's do will set you back just shy of £100. You might be able to find something cheaper on fleabay but IMO that's not worth the risk for saving a few quid.

You can get away without one while your plants are in veg, but once they're flowering it's essential. Even the relatively low odour strains still have a fairly unmistakable smell... :headbang:

You don't want plod turning up at your door for something routine and catching a whiff :woot:

Totally agree with ya lebowski about buying cheap, it never pays in the end, should have known better, just trying to save a quid. :thumsup: (as a good friend of mine says ‘’damnit boy!!’’) :v: Even though money is tight as we speak, gradually be putting some away for the RUCK fan 100mm/4’’ HP verson + Rhino Pro filter 100/300. Looks to be the Mac daddies!! Came across both of these products many times, while researching, these will be the one. Do you have experience with either one of these products??

Also to add, my seeds have cracked shells in the wet kitchen roll, so I quickly place them in compost, which now are in the grow box under the 150w CFL in a Propagator.

Cheers mate!! :yahoo:

#15 happyisme

happyisme

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 01:04 AM

do u not know of any grow shops they should be able to do you a deal on fan and filter i run a 5" systemair rvk fan with matching rhino pro filter the lot came in at £125 which when you think about it it will probably be the best invested money for your secret grow op you will spend..... with out them your jus asking for trouble mate.

i personally recommend going for the rhino range of filter because i used the cheap version filter and it only lasted 8 week or so for it not to be doing its job. it ponged mate and i wasnt even in flower yet.. the rhino soon solved that problem tho

PEACE

I wished I did leng, the closest thing to a headshop, is none. There was a small shop in the town but closed down about six months ago. :headbang: Money is tight but security and welfare will make this happen quicker. Just replied to lebowski and spoke of those same products, I will have to order online. It will take me a couple weeks together the funds. From what I priced at Green’s, it will be around €150 and bit more with shipping. Thanks so much for your advice, I really appreciate it!! :v:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users