• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TalkToFrank

TalkToFrank

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:32 PM

My friends mum is ill with MS but would not try smoking cannabis as she doesn't like the thought of being stoned. I've heard the medicinal side is more to do with CBD content than THC. If that is right, is there a strain of cannabis that produces high amounts of CBD but none or very low levels of THC? Has anyone looked into extracting CBD?
If what I am saying is wrong or sounds stupid then sorry, I've only just started lookinf into this and thought this would be a good place to start.

Thanks

If something worth doing, it's worth doing right!! (I'll get there in the end)

#2 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

She needs to ask her Neurologist for a prescription

Sativex

made by GW Pharmers specifically for M.S.
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#3 908

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:45 PM

Id be interested to know whether medi users generally find CBD or THC levels more benificial.
Im pretty sure its a horses for courses scenario though.
Not sure about extracting CBD or THC, Think this may be attributed to picking early or late.Longer the bud is left the more CBDs build. 908

#4 _Dr Benways Assistant_

_Dr Benways Assistant_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

CBD has practically been bred out of commercially available cannabis as it modulates the effects of THC, high CBD strains don't get you high so noone would by them basically. Only people that have any are the greedy pharma corps who keep it all to themselves such as GW Pharma.

You could make your own high CBD strain but would take years and requires a lab for accurate testing as it's impossible to detect CBD from smoking.

CBD is a genetic thing and is not a product of THC degredation that's CBN you're thinking of 908.

All the evidence points to these commercially available strains (drug strains :wink: ) working well for MS though so I'd say THC is more beneficial than CBD for MS anyway (just a guess like).

Cannabis plants are either high THC or high CBD not both.

Edited by Dr Benways Assistant, 01 September 2008 - 05:02 PM.

#5 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Read up on Sativex, its both cbd and thc, and works !
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#6 _Dr Benways Assistant_

_Dr Benways Assistant_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

Yep, GW bought a high THC and a high CBD strain from RC Clarke and David Watson's company Hortipharm and extract the relevant cannabinoid from each strain then mix them 51%THC-49%CBD to make sativex. They also patented the strains and grow them at Porton Down the governments chemical weapons research facility.

Definitely the best way to get CBD and cos it's prescription will be great for people who don't like the illegal drug thing.

PS. just read that I'm wrong about cannabis being either high THC or high CBD, I'll keep correcting myself as I reread some stuff.

Edited by Dr Benways Assistant, 01 September 2008 - 05:51 PM.

#7 _grandad_

_grandad_
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

Ms affects each and every person who has it differently, some sufferers appear as if always drunk and could mistaken for alcoholics, it affects memory and lowers immune system, its easier to list what it dont affect, feeling pleasantly high might not be such a bad thing.

#8 Soap

Soap

Vegging Nicely

• PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hi

My mum has ms and has been prescribed sativex in the past and it didn't help her condition at all :smoke: , i would recommend your friends mum to just trying any weed to see if it helps but its like grandad said it effects different people in different ways. She needs to find some medication or a strain that will work for her.

Medicine man by Mr nice is supposed to be a great strain for pain relief.

I hope you find something that helps her cope.

ATB Soap

#9 Arnold Layne

Arnold Layne

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37971 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 08:33 AM

Id be interested to know whether medi users generally find CBD or THC levels more benificial.
Im pretty sure its a horses for courses scenario though.
Not sure about extracting CBD or THC, Think this may be attributed to picking early or late.Longer the bud is left the more CBDs build. 908

Horses and courses it is indeed.
Using Cannabis alongside analgesics I find that a nice uppy sativa is needed during the daytime, with maybe a couchlock indica being beneficial at night. But there are no universal laws in this game, and I think this is a major problem for Cannabis medicinal users - its value varies so very much from individual to individual.

Read up on Sativex, its both cbd and thc, and works !

Not for everyone Mj, not for everyone. I found it of little value as an analgesic or even an analgesic helper. For a day or two it gave me mild/good relief, but after that I could detect no effect whatsoever, and I was trying some really large doses. At one point, I went thrugh a bottle in a day and got nothing from it. So it would seem that tolerace is a mighty big iissue with it, to say the least. Plus, I found the 50/50 cocktail a trifle strange. It made me feel rather dull and depressed TBH, and that was a worrying thing IMO.
But for other folks, it works marvels.

I would recommend folks try a decent hybrid, like Skunk No.1 or some similar thing. Keep trying until you find the one that works for the patient.

#10 908

Full Flower

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1172 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 06:56 PM

[quote name='Dr Benways Assistant' date='Sep 1 2008, 05:54 PM' post='1444950']
CBD has practically been bred out of commercially available cannabis as it modulates the effects of THC, high CBD strains don't get you high so noone would by them basically. Only people that have any are the greedy pharma corps who keep it all to themselves such as GW Pharma.

You could make your own high CBD strain but would take years and requires a lab for accurate testing as it's impossible to detect CBD from smoking.

CBD is a genetic thing and is not a product of THC degredation that's CBN you're thinking of 908.

Ah yep your right Dr. my bad :unsure: 908

#11 g647hq8

g647hq8

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 02:26 AM

My friends mum is ill with MS but would not try smoking cannabis as she doesn't like the thought of being stoned. I've heard the medicinal side is more to do with CBD content than THC. If that is right, is there a strain of cannabis that produces high amounts of CBD but none or very low levels of THC? Has anyone looked into extracting CBD?
If what I am saying is wrong or sounds stupid then sorry, I've only just started lookinf into this and thought this would be a good place to start.

Thanks

The strain "Big Bang" is being marketed as having 1.5% CBD, compared to the majority of strains that only have 0.1% - so 15x the amount of CBD than usual.

According to [url="http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol[/url,] CBD has many great effects, such as treating schizophrenia, inhibiting cancer growth, reducing anxiety and an antioxidant to boot!

Unfortunately, the THC level of Big Bang is still a relatively high 15%, but that should be mitigated by the high level of CBD B)

Hope you find this info useful.

#12 TalkToFrank

TalkToFrank

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for all the responses people. It's much appreciated.

I'll keep researching.

#13 TalkToFrank

TalkToFrank

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:45 AM

Thanks

The strain "Big Bang" is being marketed as having 1.5% CBD, compared to the majority of strains that only have 0.1% - so 15x the amount of CBD than usual.

According to [url="http://en.wikipedia....iki/Cannabidiol[/url,] CBD has many great effects, such as treating schizophrenia, inhibiting cancer growth, reducing anxiety and an antioxidant to boot!

Unfortunately, the THC level of Big Bang is still a relatively high 15%, but that should be mitigated by the high level of CBD B)

Hope you find this info useful.

Thanks, I'm growing Bag Bang at the moment but I've not been impressed with it at all. I'm sure the problems are all down to me in some way as I've seen plenty of successful grows on the forums but I am growing a number of other strains, all of which are going well. My Big Bang however is very droopy. I've put it down to heat, my room temp is fairly high, usually around 85 F and from playing around I think Big Bang might prefer closer to 75F. Check out my thread if you get a minute

#14 hornygit69

hornygit69

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

Just been looking through google trying to research general information on CBD.
I don't use uk420 much but it appears no one has posted on this thread in a year!
but still i am going to add a comment.
SWIM works in a head shop and he tells me that World Of Seeds Ketama appears to be the highest CBD content strain he can find - it is nearly 5%! after that its pakistan valley and Afghan Kush. These are all landrace strains-nothing hybridised by those pricks over in holland.
SWIM also tells me it is from his experience of working in a head shop that big bang should be called small bang and it is a load of SHITE.

#15 Digit

Digit

Just Sprouted

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

from my understanding of this, thc is more likely to be the one of big benefit, though i'd advise the effects of it be attenuated to suit by the other cannabinoids, including (perhaps especially) the lesser well understood ones.

i find myself both baffled by other peoples fear of the 'high' and also kinda understanding it, given the decades of propaganda we've had against drug use. the lies we were told in school, if i believed them still to this day, would keep me away too, though through my own misfortunes, i was fortunate to find out otherwise.
the thc "high" is part and parcel of it's beneficial healing effects. theres no harm in feeling euphoric.

Tetrahydrocannabinol
Main article: Tetrahydrocannabinol

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary psychoactive component of the plant. Medically, it appears to ease moderate pain (analgetic) and to be neuroprotective. THC has approximately equal affinity for the CB1 and CB2 receptors.[5] Its effects are perceived to be more cerebral.[citation needed]

delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC, THC) and delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC), mimic the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body. The THCs produce the high associated with cannabis by binding to the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the brain.
[edit] Cannabidiol
Main article: Cannabidiol

Cannabidiol (CBD) is not psychoactive, and was thought not to affect the psychoactivity of THC.[6] However, recent evidence shows that smokers of cannabis with a higher CBD/THC ratio were less likely to experience schizophrenia-like symptoms.[7] This is supported by psychological tests, in which participants experience less intense psychotic effects when intravenous THC was co-administered with CBD (as measured with a PANSS test).[8] It has been hypothesized that CBD acts as an allosteric antagonist at the CB1 receptor and thus alters the psychoactive effects of THC.[citation needed]

Medically, it appears to relieve convulsion, inflammation, anxiety, and nausea.[9] CBD has a greater affinity for the CB2 receptor than for the CB1 receptor.[9]

CBD shares a precursor with THC and is the main cannabinoid in low-THC Cannabis strains.
[edit]

- from wikipedia.

you want the lot really. its just in regards to the ratios (and quantities) that we need be concerned with. not an "either / or" scenario.

and that takes alot of learned experience with knowing your strains, and the various techniques of caring for your herb to maintain the appropriate required levels of the cannabinoids, to the best of our abilities, to suit our specific needs.

i think once someone tries cannabis, and the feel the immediate benefits and relief that it can convey for many, they'll soon set aside their qualms, as i did when i first discovered it's benefits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users