306 replies to this topic

#1 DANZIG

DANZIG

Fuck Prohibition then fuck it some more

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11823 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

The art and craft of keeping the honey bee Apis mellifera.

Honey bees are highly social insects, living in extremely well-organised groups; each member has a specific job to do, and no bee can survive without the colony. Beekeepers provide hives for colonies of bees to live in. A hive will have one queen who lays eggs in the brood chambers. The drones’ sole purpose in life is to fertilise the queen, and the rest are workers, who make the cells of the combs, clean them, fill them with pollen and honey, feed and tend to the young bee larvae, guard the hive and forage for nectar and pollen.

The skill of the beekeeper is to maintain the colony at maximum strength while they are producing honey, and to prevent them from becoming overcrowded and swarming. Bees only need to be tended in spring and summer; from late autumn and throughout the winter they remain in a state of semi-hibernation. The beekeeper takes the surplus honey and in a good season a single hive can produce up to 80kg - plenty for a large family, with a surplus for local sale or barter. Bees are an excellent enterprise in an urban area, if you have a small garden, or even a rooftop space to site a hive. The bees will thrive on the abundant flowers in gardens and their flight path will be well above human heads.

The art of beekeeping brings together people interested in improving agriculture, local economies, gardening, education, food and cooking, ancient craft skills and science.

what are the benefits?

80% of fruit tree pollination is by bees; they can also improve crop production and can travel up to 3 miles from the hive. Also, bee products can provide local, natural alternatives to many environmentally-damaging synthetic products.
Bees can provide all the sugar we need, in the form of honey, without the need for costly and polluting transport and refining. Honey can be used as a sugar substitute in all cooking, including jam-making and brewing (wine or mead). Honey is a healthier option than refined sugar and beekeeping is said to be one of the healthiest professions.

Apitherapy is the use of bee products to treat ailments, boost the immune system and promote healthy tissue growth. Honey is also said to relieve stomach troubles and is a disinfectant in wound cleaning and healing. And of course hot honey and lemon is the sensible thing to take if you have cold symptoms. Apitherapy is just one of the natural ways to reduce our reliance on the pharmaceutical industry.

Beeswax has a myriad of uses: candles that burn longer than paraffin versions; rust prevention and a lubricant on screws and nails; it can be made into metal or wood polish; and it is a leather conditioner and waterproofer.
Soaps and cosmetics can be made using bee products, - rich in minerals and vitamins, and with antibiotic properties.
All honey and wax products can be obtained locally from small-scale producers.

Beekeeping is an extremely cost-effective hobby. It’s possible to buy all the equipment you need to start off (with one hive) for around £200. If you consider that you can produce up to 80kg from one hive in a good year, then you will start making a profit from year two. You can save money by getting your equipment at auction (a typical price for a brood chamber plus a colony is c. £50); the ‘Bee Craft’ newsletter of the British Beekeepers Association contains dates and locations of auctions. If you're up for it, you can have a go at making your own.

You need to know what you’re doing though. LILI run a useful introductory course, where you will handle bees and get the basic information to decide if it’s for you. It’s also a good idea to read as much as you can, and join your local beekeeping association, where you’ll meet enthusiastic beekeepers happy to share their skills and knowledge with beginners. Many run longer courses, as well as summer apiary meetings, honey shows and winter lectures, and for a £5 annual subscription, you can get 10% discount on equipment, insurance to cover loss of bees and damage to kit, and be able to share more expensive equipment such as extractors. Ask someone who lives locally if you can join them on some of their hive visits and start handling bees under supervision.

You don’t need to register anywhere to keep bees, and as long as you apply common sense when locating your hive(s), you won’t cause a nuisance to neighbours. When you’re not extracting honey, bees just need checking every 10 days; in other words, they do most of the work.

If beekeeping really isn’t the thing for you, there is still plenty you can do to support local beekeepers: buy honey locally, as well as other bee products such as candles, furniture polish, soaps, cosmetics and herbal remedies; you could even learn to make them yourself.

BRITISH BEEKEEPERS' ASSOCIATION
When you can't put all the fuckwits on ignore it's time to go

#2 awol420

awol420

In Bud

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 11:47 AM

got a bee in yer bonnet danzig ? :ouch:

#3 cf

cf

WAH !

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5560 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

i'm a bit beephobic meself but both my brother and my partner are beekeepers, they are truly fascinating but standing amongst 1000's of the little blighters is a step too freaky for me, suit or no.
“There is no reason to accept the doctrines crafted to sustain power and privilege, or to believe that we are constrained by mysterious and unknown social laws. These are simply decisions made within institutions that are subject to human will and that must face the test of legitimacy. And if they do not meet the test, they can be replaced by other institutions that are more free and more just, as has happened often in the past.”

Noam Chomsky

#4 NMW

NMW

Crazy Horse

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4116 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

i am terrified by them things same as wasps :ouch: i run a mile

M.I.A.

A.C.A.B.    A.P.A.C.

#5 powerband

powerband

powerband

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6024 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Seen an interesting thing on bees on the tv the other night... think it was that River program?....
A young lad is making himself a nice bit of pocket money with Hackney Honey! He has hives on top of the house, in the middle of London! :ouch: Was inspiring to see young minds at work with good ideas...

Bees... would never kill a bee....all animals have there place in this world :(

Ms Powerband :D
I love my bush

"It is over until it begins again.... Karma"

Ms Powerband

#6 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

Bees are wonderful, recently I was within a yard of a hive, with my allergies( bee and wasp stings) and was not bothered at all.
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#7 powerband

powerband

powerband

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6024 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

Just as an added piece of info.... if you heat honey it loses most of its essential qualities :innocent: The food of Nature....gonna go make me a honey buttie now :wink:

Ms Powerband :spliff:
I love my bush

"It is over until it begins again.... Karma"

Ms Powerband

#8 Hughie Green

Hughie Green

suitably medicated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13790 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

C'mon the Bees :spliff:

I always wondered what would happen if you used bud in your Bee smoker :innocent:

#9 Joolz

Joolz

Watching the Grass Grow

• Team UK420
  • 51575 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Just as an added piece of info.... if you heat honey it loses most of its essential qualities :spliff: The food of Nature....gonna go make me a honey buttie now :woot:

Ms Powerband :wink:

i pulled this lump of comb from one of my hives yesterday :innocent:

Attached File  honey.jpg   184.91KB   196 downloads

first taste of my own bees honey, but i did have to chase, catch and rehome three swarms this week so i definitely earnt it :rofl:
"Sick of politicians, harassment and laws!"

post-5967-1186234383.gif

UK420 recommends www.hydroculture.co.uk for all your growing needs

#10 maryjane

maryjane

Resin Coated

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11598 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:12 PM

Nice one J
Warning Governbents can seriously damage our health.

So why is the cannabis argument special? I suppose because its by far the least dangerous of all the currently controlled drugs and, secondly, that neither medically or morally should it have been made illegal in the first place." - Eddie Ellison

#11 NMW

NMW

Crazy Horse

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4116 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:16 PM

first taste of my own bees honey, but i did have to chase, catch and rehome three swarms this week so i definitely earnt it lol

how do you catch a swarm of bees ? :unsure: :ouch:

M.I.A.

A.C.A.B.    A.P.A.C.

#12 Hughie Green

Hughie Green

suitably medicated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13790 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Very carefully :unsure:

A bucket and a bee smoker, smoke the swarm when they settle on a branch, bucket underneath, tap the branch and they will fall into the bucket, net over the top, there you have a swarm o bees !

#13 NMW

NMW

Crazy Horse

• Lifetime Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4116 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:29 PM

Very carefully :ouch:

A bucket and a bee smoker, smoke the swarm when they settle on a branch, bucket underneath, tap the branch and they will fall into the bucket, net over the top, there you have a swarm o bees !

can ya do that with any old bees ? wild bees
or are they ones that have escaped there hive :unsure:

M.I.A.

A.C.A.B.    A.P.A.C.

#14 Hughie Green

Hughie Green

suitably medicated

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13790 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:47 PM

e2a

Hi HMT, you can start a hive with a wild swarm but most folks buy bred bees as the wild swarm can be infested with pests and diseases.

Edited by Hughie Green, 07 June 2008 - 01:53 PM.

#15 sibannac

sibannac

The Marmite appreciation society.

• Subscriber
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7888 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

Just as an added piece of info.... if you heat honey it loses most of its essential qualities lol The food of Nature....gonna go make me a honey buttie now :rofl:

Ms Powerband :g:

i pulled this lump of comb from one of my hives yesterday :ouch:

Attached File  honey.jpg   184.91KB   196 downloads

first taste of my own bees honey, but i did have to chase, catch and rehome three swarms this week so i definitely earnt it lol

Mrs Sibs asks how much for a jar of uk420 honey will pay postage :yes:

:unsure:
Cannabis is not addictive
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. ...
Theres only one race in human race
Sibs 'third rule ... FUCK 'EM
The 4th Fuck it do summat Sibs would and fucking enjoy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users