Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Owderb

Hints,tips,tactics

134 posts in this topic

As the new season will be soon here ive got my tackle out to giv it the once over. Its good practice to check you have all the essentials, and that all your kit is in good working order.

Im now just a carp fisherman. Ive done all sorts of fishing in my time, but fishing for big carp is what i love. Its also a good excuse to get away from the house for days on end :rofl:

I think the best tip i could give any new comer to the sport is to not set yourself a target of catching one of these 30lb+ (magazine) carp. All the magazines have pictures of the big fish caught. This is just a simple way to make people belive they can go out and catch a 30lb+ easy. Well thats bollox. Although it may happen once in a blue moon. The best thing a newbie can do is start by keeping thing simple and aim for the smaller carp first. Maybe float fishing, method fishing with a ready to use method mix. Simple tactics help you learn how to fish and how they feed. This is very important and there is still a good chance of catching a big fish with these tactics. They will keep you interested more than sat behind a couple of motionless ledger rods.

Heres a few bait ideas :idea: i use.

MAGGOTTS: A must have bait anytime of year. Float: Couple on hook, maybe 1 real and 1 fake to keep them on hook. Baitup by throwing between 5-8 maggotts around hook every 5-10min throughout day. Put up with small fish to begin with. They WILL get bigger.

Sweetcorn: Another must have. Just dont go over board with it, as the fish get wary. I ledger a single platic grain on a hair rig/ size 10 hook and a 50p sized pva bag of my favorite pellets(High betine green swim stim) this tactic caught me a 28lb carp. I ALWAYS have it on 1 rod :yep:

Pepperami: Just use it as a hook bait on a hair rig and bait up with somthing else. It a great bait when all else is failing.

:ouch: An all time favorite of most river and lake fishermen. Dont cut it square as alot of carp are wary of this shape. I use an apple core'er to create a cylinder. Much better. lol

Hallibut pellet: A good bait where it hasnt been used alot. I use a huge 21mm on a hair, with a small pva bag of mixed size pellet. If you scold the pellets in boiling water and create a paste, this is good to wrap around your hookbait.

Popups: Ive never done well on them :down:

Boilies: If used properly these can be an awsome bait. But it can take a while for the fish to swith on to them. When i use them, which isnt very often(over priced) i put 1 on the hair and trim the edges off. I then fill a small pva bag with crushed boilies and a few of the swim stim pellets. This has accounted for my biggest carp at 31lb :russian: I did this by baiting up a single spot over a number of weeks. Without fishing the spot, and without using the bait on my rods. Obviously i then fished it 2 weeks later and reeped the rewards of being paitent.

Fishing is about getting out there and enjoying the quiet, scenary and havin a giggle with a friend or two. Make the most of it :oldtoker:

I hope someone gets something out of this, and finds it helpfull because my cup of tea is now cold and my refer burnt out :(

Tightlines, DaChunky1

Me and Thesiff1 are doin our last 24hr session on a water which has only resulted in Bream and a foul hooked pike for me. TS1 has caught a couple of Tench, bream and a lovely 19lb common carp. I guessing ive nearly put 350+ hrs into it this season. We new it has a very hard place and we may not even catch one fish. But we had to try it for just a season.

So this weekend is all or nothing for me. Theres a two rod per angler limit. So we have decided to team up and fish four rods on different rigs over a baited area. The plan is to sort of match fish style by keeping bait going in via a spod over the course of 48hrs. Between the rods we will have 2 zig rigs, 1 bottom bait and 1 popup. These will be changed throughout the weekend to see if we can find the winning formula. With this high pressure though im thinking the zigs will preform.

Spod mix:-

Parti blend mixed partical

Maize

Hemp and tigers

Kidney beans

Crushed Squid and garlic boilies

Betaine green groundbait/glug

Crushed halibut pellets

Tin of Tuna (crab meat)Shhhhh

Salt/Chilli flakes

Shrimp paste :puke:

Minamino acid

It seems alot of different things doesnt it? Well its the element of confusion with that amount of different baits. The carp dont have time to sit and look out suspect hook baits because the smaller fish around them will be going techno and eating whatever fits in their mouths. This will cause the carp (hopefully) to drop their guard and get hooked. In theory :wassnnme:

We tried it once there before at the end of a session though. We caught Bream straight away. Maybe if we had given it longer the carp would of moved in :unsure:

DC1

Edited by DaChunky1

Me and Thesiff1 are doin our last 24hr session on a water which has only resulted in Bream and a foul hooked pike for me. TS1 has caught a couple of Tench, bream and a lovely 19lb common carp. I guessing ive nearly put 350+ hrs into it this season. We new it has a very hard place and we may not even catch one fish. But we had to try it for just a season.

So this weekend is all or nothing for me. Theres a two rod per angler limit. So we have decided to team up and fish four rods on different rigs over a baited area. The plan is to sort of match fish style by keeping bait going in via a spod over the course of 48hrs. Between the rods we will have 2 zig rigs, 1 bottom bait and 1 popup. These will be changed throughout the weekend to see if we can find the winning formula. With this high pressure though im thinking the zigs will preform.

Spod mix:-

Parti blend mixed partical

Maize

Hemp and tigers

Kidney beans

Crushed Squid and garlic boilies

Betaine green groundbait/glug

Crushed halibut pellets

Tin of Tuna (crab meat)Shhhhh

Salt/Chilli flakes

Shrimp paste :puke:

Minamino acid

It seems alot of different things doesnt it? Well its the element of confusion with that amount of different baits. The carp dont have time to sit and look out suspect hook baits because the smaller fish around them will be going techno and eating whatever fits in their mouths. This will cause the carp (hopefully) to drop their guard and get hooked. In theory :wassnnme:

We tried it once there before at the end of a session though. We caught Bream straight away. Maybe if we had given it longer the carp would of moved in :unsure:

DC1

Our quest is over :( Our theory was right about getting the bream feeding as we caught a few between us. But as for the idea of the carp moving onto the bait :nea: It didnt happen. All of my Bream were around the 4-5lb mark, and all were caught on a hair rig kidney bean with a pva stick of groundbait.

On to pastures new then i sapose. I have a small lake in mind which is syndicate only members. And the carp are SAPOSED to be a bit easier to tame. We will see.

My tip is get on the Kidney beans if you like to catch Bream.

DC1

The biggest tip I can add is to enjoy urself and don't take things to seriously, fishing ment to be a relaxing sport. So getting angry coz ur bank sticks won't go in the ground or bivvy pegs bend will only end up spooking the swim

So just sit back chillax and enjoy the scenery :yinyang:

Edited by bushmaster82

Hey

Ive found a great way to use the crust of ya bread,which a lot of peeps dont use.

First get yourself a Spam/cornedbeef key, push threw crust into bread,using the slot in the key to pull the hook back threw crust :guitar:

Stays on a long time aswell.

works for me

ONELOVEJKH

Cheap boilie/bait crusher

If your like me and dont like to spend silly ammounts of money on branded small fishing items then this could be for you. We all know the story about big carp shying off round baits, so many anglers now use chopped hook baits and free offerings.

A very well know tackle company took advantage of this (as usual) and is try to get us to spend between £10-£15 on a little bit of plastic to crush our baits. Its a big version of a herb grinder :wassnnme:

Anyway, after searching through the most used auction site on net i found the garlic pro. Its simular to a grinder but has stainless stell blades inside. Its a quality bit of kit and one i would highly recomend. And at £4 its a bargin :guitar: I think it would struggle to do really hard baits like big hali pellets, but smaller pellets/boilies/nuts ect are fine.

DC1

Edited by DaChunky1

This time of year is great for pellets halibuts 11-20mm work a charm for barbel carp in the warmer months.

Tokin :smokin:

My tip for catching all Carp- mirror - grass - common even large plate bream for when you make your own boillies is as follows . one packet of yorkshire pudding mix - 2 ounzes of hard cheese ie red leister 2 ounzes spam 1 tea spoon brassem quarter ounze dark . chocolate mince up the cheese spam chocolate add brassem blend all ingriedents together put hot water litte as a time dont put too much . water just enough too bind all ingriedents together roll into balls half inche to one inche depending what size carp your fishing for . simmer in hot water for 4 to 5 minutes take out let them cool refrigerate over night there you have it your fish will love them if . you fish locally bait your swim 2 weeks before you fish you shoud have exellent results I allways do :hi::rofl::guitar:

For bait

5kg of pigeon conditioner 250ml of molasses soak in boiling water over night add a hand full of tiger nuts.

spod out to your desired spot, cast your tiger nut hook bait on to baited spot.

Have plenty of pre rolled's.

GAME ON.

awesome stuff. thank you all!

Is there anything to fishing when the moon is in a certain position? air pressure? wind on your back? i understand that dusk and dawn are good times assuming it is due to visibility and the fish being harder to see by predators but is the afforementioned scientific fact or just old wives tales?

Is there anything to fishing when the moon is in a certain position? air pressure? wind on your back? i understand that dusk and dawn are good times assuming it is due to visibility and the fish being harder to see by predators but is the afforementioned scientific fact or just old wives tales?

fishing with the moon in a certain position, is known as "moonphase" amongst the angling folk, some believe it makes a differance, some dont, a lot dont give a toss either way and simply fish when they can.

if you want to know more about it, google "archie braddock", he swears by it and has done quite a lot of research into it.

dawn and dusk fishing, well fishing is generally better, due to a few things really, low/poor light for both fish to see angler or prey fish, not as much bankside diturbance giving fish more confidence to feed, fish going on the feed before a period of darkness or before they go and hide for the during the light.

wind on your back, well that simply means you can tuck yourself under a brolly and keep snug, wind does have an impact of fishing, but if anything, you should fish into the wind, anything on the surface will obviously blow with the wind, that includes food, so the fish will naturally follow it.

fishing is a hobby/pastime/whatever, it can be as simple or as difficult as you want, go fish with a bit of bread and a few worms, or go down the scientific route, each to thier own and if it floats ya boats, then all's good.

ray,

Well i have always done well on the harvest moon, give it a try.

Well i have always done well on the harvest moon, give it a try.

chicken liver for pike etc. :)