Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

brumbuds

Tent Fans (help)

38 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I have 2x Ram floor fans which are very good and also nice and quiet..

I now need to think about 2x fans for the canopy 

I am using a tent so clip fans are fine providing they are made well and dont slip down pole or i will come back and they are facing wrong way (happens so many times)

Please can someone reccomend a good fan that either hangs from roof of tent or attaches to pole 

Main thing i am looking for is low noise 

Thanks

Secret Jardin Monkey Fan, oscillating. Around £30. They have a special clip thing that goes round the tent tubes, with adjustable fittings for different tent tube sizes. I always find that they slip down over time but a tie-wrap fitted real tight on the tent tube just below the mount will prevent such. The tie-wrap although very tight slips up and down with enough force. ive 2 monkey fans at 1 end and a modified pedestal room fan on the other.

mystic 

Posted (edited)

I've heard that "Growth Technology" 6" clip on fans are very quiet and reliable.

I've ordered one but it's not arrived yet so I can't personally vouch for it compared to my other fans but like I said, I've seen it recommend a few times on here.

The Monkey fans have a terrible reliability reputation as they don't last long.

I'm looking forwards to the new AC Infinity clip on fans that will be released soon ish!

Edited by QFMAC
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Sound good will look out for them.. I seen some RAM clip on fans that looked good in the shop but thought i would do some research first 

also seen High pro fans in the shops these also have good reviews but sold out everywhere 

Edited by brumbuds

not sure what ive pressed but says post hidden..

I seen some Ram clip on 7 inch fans that looked good (hooks on pole rather than clips) also seen garden highpro+ fans but seem to be sold out 

Posted (edited)

The black Ram clip on fans are pretty decent. Would recommend, easy to remove the clips and hang if you would prefer to do that. The clips take up quite a bit of room in a smaller space. 

Has both the pole mounts and the clips in the box.

Edited by Smokey McBongface

I've had 2 secret jardin monkey fans and neither lasted more than a few months so unlike @mysticriver I can't recommend them. I thought them a distinct fire risk as one started making a funny noise and slight smell of burning. Never again.

I just use cheap desk fans and hang em with bungees. £15 or so off big River. 2 years and no issues.

1 person likes this

Monkey fans are good BUT they are very disposable , expect to replace them about every 6 months and whatever you do don't turn them off or they'll start whining or grinding on you in my experience.

Which ram floor fans do you have? The black wire circulator fans or the grey and blue plastic Louvre action box fan? 

If it's the latter these are easily hung from the tent bars with bungees or paracord (I've cable tied them to expansion bars etc in the past , works a treat.)

Have a look at Westinghouse louvre action ceiling fans if you have a decent budget , I reckon I'll be getting one of those once I go LED 

:yinyang:

@Military Grade might show you his neewer tablet fan rig if you ask him nicely , he's a clever sod :yep:

1 person likes this

I have tower fans in mine, tall enough to sit in the corner and gently blow across the whole tent, top to bottom 

Just now, BilgePump said:

Have a look at Westinghouse louvre action ceiling fans if you have a decent budget , I reckon I'll be getting one of those once I go LED 

The 60x60 square box fan looks perfect 

1 person likes this

Has anyone tried balancing the blades and putting ptfe spray on the moving parts of a SJ monkey fan ? Obviously you'd expect it to be better off the shelf but im curious how much more life it would give them

33 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

@Military Grade might show you his neewer tablet fan rig if you ask him nicely , he's a clever sod :yep:

:yep:

@brumbuds

large.20210703_182554.jpglarge.20210703_182337.jpglarge.20210703_143807.jpg

Currently 7in oscillating desk fans from Argoose on them. Other fans might be better I got two and one started making a clicking noise after a day that would come and go, so I sent that one back and the replacement also started to click everyone now and then. The other one has been fine for a long time so a bit of a lottery with them.

I only ended up using one of them(the good one) with my small tent, seems to be enough for the canopy.

large.20210914_181953.jpg

4 hours ago, QFMAC said:

I've heard that "Growth Technology" 6" clip on fans are very quiet and reliable.

I have one in the picture a ove blowing the warm air from my LED driver down to the plants. It is very quiet but have to bare in mind they don't oscillate if that is a requirement :yep:, I would definitely recommend them if oscillation is not needed.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I'm always worried about the fire risk with 240v main powered fans. It's 2022, lets all use USB fans (without battery) and relax knowing 5w is all it takes. :yep:

You can even snip the protective housing off, cheap, cheerfull and almost silent, what's not to like about them? Team them with a smart strip with timer functions and you're off. 

large.IMG-0288.JPGlarge.IMG-0271.JPGlarge.IMG-0284.JPG

large.IMG_8733.jpg

Don't forget a few packs of mini bungies from b&q, don't just reduce vibration hum, eliminate them. :guitar:

Edited by Slippy One
1 person likes this

@Military Grade Nice one mate, thanks for letting me know.

I'm holding out for the new AC Infinity clip on oscillating fans due to be released. In the mean time I just need one more static fan to make it 4 in my tent.

One of my fans (ProFan +) is way too loud so I may even just replace that with the Growth Technology fan. Good to hear that you also think its quiet. 

2 people like this

@QFMAC the profan+ is that the oscillating one? 

Almost got a couple of those but ended up with the ram box fans